Browser wars. 10.2.3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Heh, I think Brad got all the possible reasons. The main reason I like them is I can see all the titles of the tabs within one window, so I know how many times to tab to get to a specific tab, instead of going through windows that can be stacked one on top of the other, and not knowing which window contains what.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I agree. I never understood the big deal about tabs until I finally took the plung and tried Chimera when 0.6 came out. Before I was strictly IE. It really is nice to be able to have everything organized within a single window. Especially if you are looking up something on multiple pages. I may not be a zealot yet...but I have the ferver of the newly converted! Now...all Chimera has to do is fix that damm bug where it suddenly goes to 100% CPU usage and you can't do squat until you quit and restart. It happens maybe every other day and pisses me off. Other than that...I can't wait to see 0.7. Laterz.

I.M. VanDeWaals

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: VanDeWaals ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmmm. I guess since I never open more than a dozen windows or so in OmniWeb, and I have a good idea where things are stacked within a layer or two, tabs wouldn't get me much.

I dunno, for some reason tabbed browsers feel a little bit too much like Windows' MDI... which even *MS* has dropped as a bad idea. *shrug* Oh well, whatever floats your boat.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Tabs make more sense on Windows, since using alt-Tab to cycle through browser windows (treated as separate apps) is unwieldy. It's also more responsive than opening a new window in Mozilla.

Tabbed browsing fails under Mozilla when I have a lot of tabs open, since none of the tabs show a name for the content, the tab close box is drawn over a tab, and the browser starts forgetting things and crashing. And the tabbed browsing concept only works for documents that are all the same size (like web pages -- almost always full screen).
  • Reply 25 of 53
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Good point on the Windows tabbing behaviour (every window in every app is intermixed). I never used it under Windows because it felt incredibly clunky, and it was one of the first "Wow" features my wife mentioned when she got her iBook recently. (She wanted to know if there was a window-cycling keystroke like under Windows. I showed her the app-cycling and window-cycling shortcuts, and her immediate reaction was "This makes SO much more sense!")

I guess it's yet another data point in support of: "If you get the basic things right, there's little need for the complex things."
  • Reply 26 of 53
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    what is the window-cycling key-phrase again ?

When I press cmd-~ it does only hide the symbol-bar (in OW).

I don't know, but I use only OW since Mac OS 10. The Interface of a app is really important to me.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've had no end of problems with Chimera recently. After installing 10.2.3, I was fine, with probably a one or two week old build. I heard about the 12/20 build being pretty good so I downloaded it... first time it would start up fine but give me an endless beachball whenever I wanted to follow a link. I re-downloaded it, and now it gives me an endless beachball right on the startup screen.

So I'm using OmniWeb in lieu of a working copy of Chimera. It's much slower... but it looks great and it has some nice features. What I especially like about it is how many preferences options there are, how detailed the contextual menus are, the text boxes (with FAST text entry and spell checking), and finally how the aqua elements used are real... not the bloated fake ones from Chimera.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Okay, you've finally gotten me to post instead of lurk.

The number one reason I liked tabbed browsing: when I see a link that I think will be interesting, I can click on the new link (in my case, with the middle mouse button to open it in a new tab) and continue reading the article without my thought process being interrupted.

Once I am done with my current page, I can bring the previously opened tabs to the front (already loaded in the background) and peruse them at my leisure.

Also, with Chimera, I am able to create "tab groups". With one bookmark, I can have a whole series of tabs opened and loaded at once (I'd actually prefer the first tab to be loaded, then all the others in the background, but that's not how it works yet).

John

New Switcher as of December (Mac OS X and the new TiBook w/ SuperDrive was too much to resist)
  • Reply 29 of 53
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>what is the window-cycling key-phrase again ?

When I press cmd-~ it does only hide the symbol-bar (in OW).

I don't know, but I use only OW since Mac OS 10. The Interface of a app is really important to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

try cmd-` NOT ~

• Reply 30 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

try cmd-` NOT ~

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't get it. I tried. cmd-alt-n results in cmd-~and cmd-shift-^ results in cmd-`

but it still doesn't work.

what am I doing wrong ?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    keshkesh Posts: 621member

<strong>

I don't get it. I tried. cmd-alt-n results in cmd-~and cmd-shift-^ results in cmd-`

but it still doesn't work.

what am I doing wrong ? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Um... the ` key is all by itself. You have to press Shift to get the ~. So it's Cmd-`, not Cmd-Shift-` (which is Cmd-~).
  • Reply 32 of 53
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    err maybe it has something to do with it being a swiss keyboard?
  • Reply 33 of 53
    you can't say that now !

/me switches to american keyboard

/me tries again, then bangs his head on the table.

:sigh:
  • Reply 34 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>

Why is it better than multiple windows?...

Second, if you make the window full-screen, opening new tabs will neatly use the same amount of space whereas opening a new window will offset the location each time, posibly moving the window off-screen and requiring you to reaqjust its position.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is possible in Omniweb if you use one of those default write things. I can't remember the exact syntax but I'm sure google knows if your interested. It's kept me using Omniweb and I'm sure the Chimera guys would add it if you asked nicely.

edit: you need to change OAWindowCascadeDisabled in com.omnigroup.OmniWeb.plist to Yes

This also achieves your third point as most of the time the windows are the same size and hide each other when brought to the front.

[ 12-22-2002: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by John Whitney:

<strong>The number one reason I liked tabbed browsing: when I see a link that I think will be interesting, I can click on the new link (in my case, with the middle mouse button to open it in a new tab) and continue reading the article without my thought process being interrupted.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

This is possible using just windows in Chimera and Omniweb.

There is a preference checkbox for opening new windows in the background. Command-clicking a link will then open it in a new window in front or behind the current window according to your preference. I'm sure you can map this to a middle-click.

I don't use Chimera as much as Omniweb so there may be a preference that decides whether Command-click opens a new window or tab.

In Omniweb you can temporarily alternate your open new window in front/behind preference by holding shift, so for me Command-click opens windows in the background but Commmand-Shift-click opens them in the foreground.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>I have made a few tests and IE5.2 is faster than Chimera under 10.2.3 what is going on?</strong><hr></blockquote>

man...when IE 5 is faster than ANYTHING that's when OS X needs a new browser...BAD.

or a new OS altogether
  • Reply 37 of 53
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by cheetah:

<strong>

man...when IE 5 is faster than ANYTHING that's when OS X needs a new browser...BAD.

or a new OS altogether</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey I am still using Chimera, I am just reporting what I find, not advocating any particular browser. I happen to think it is quite healthy that we have a choice, and competition usually drives standards up.
  • Reply 38 of 53

<strong>you can't say that now !

/me switches to american keyboard

/me tries again, then bangs his head on the table.

:sigh:</strong><hr></blockquote>

My wife has a German TiBook. The Cmd-` doesn't work for her. She has to use Cmd-&lt; to cycle through windows. (Well, that's what I use when I use her computer. She doesn't do keyboard shortcuts.)
  • Reply 39 of 53
    I just want to add my own report:

For some reason, after installing the 10.2.3 update and then getting the Dec. 21 nightly-build of Chimera, I found that web-browsing (dual-867 G4, cable-modem) kicked up to a whole new speed (lightning fast, really) with Chimera.

After reading this thread, I decided to give IE 5.2 another try, but, having done so, I have to say it's probably 3 or 4 times SLOWER than Chimera on my system.

It seems to depend on each user's system configuration (I guess)...but Chimera is way better for me.

Kev A.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by John Whitney:

<strong>Okay, you've finally gotten me to post instead of lurk.

The number one reason I liked tabbed browsing: when I see a link that I think will be interesting, I can click on the new link (in my case, with the middle mouse button to open it in a new tab) and continue reading the article without my thought process being interrupted.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why I love OW's "Open new window behind this window" context menu option. At least on Windows, Moz has the irritating habit of giving focus to the tab you open, so I have to switch back to keep reading the page I was on.

[quote]<strong>Also, with Chimera, I am able to create "tab groups". With one bookmark, I can have a whole series of tabs opened and loaded at once (I'd actually prefer the first tab to be loaded, then all the others in the background, but that's not how it works yet).</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is pretty sweet. Opera's had a feature like that for a while now, actually (although it came with the price of an MDI interface).

[quote]<strong>New Switcher as of December (Mac OS X and the new TiBook w/ SuperDrive was too much to resist)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tell me about it. The new PB's have awakened a serious case of hardware lust in me. Ack!