Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple released the next -- and potentially last -- upgrade to its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system Wednesday afternoon, bringing minor tweaks before the debut of Snow Leopard in September.

The latest update to Leopard includes security fixes, improves Bluetooth reliability, and upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2. It is available for Mac users via software update, or a 274MB file for download from Apple. The combo update is also available at 759MB.

"The Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac," reads an Apple statement.

Also released Wednesday were Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 (274MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Tiger on Power PC (76MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Server Tiger on Power PC (130MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Server Tiger Universal (204MB), and Security Update 2009-003 for Tiger on Intel 166MB.

Mac OS X 10.5.8

The list of fixes for Leopard are as follows:

Upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2.

Improves the accuracy of full history search in Safari 4.

Resolves an issue in which certain resolutions might not appear in the Display pane in System Preferences.

Dragging an Aperture image into Automator now invokes an Aperture action instead of incorrectly invoking an iPhoto action.

Resolves an issue that could prevent importing of large photo and movie files from digital cameras.

Improves overall Bluetooth reliability with external devices, USB webcams and printers.

Addresses an issue that could cause extended startup times.

Improves iCal reliability with MobileMe Sync and CalDav.

Addresses data reliability issues with iDisk and MobileMe.

Improves overall reliability with AFP.

Improves overall reliability with Managed Client.

Improves compatibility and reliability for joining AirPort networks.

Improves Sync Service reliability.

Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.

Improves compatibility with some external USB hard drives.

Includes latest security fixes.

Last week, developers were supplied with build 9L30 of the beta. It featured only minor fixes, suggesting the release of 10.5.8 was imminent.

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8

The update for Server includes the following fixes:

AFP Server

Fixes an issue that could cause the AppleFileServer process to keep the server's processor busy even when no users are connected.

AFP Client

Fixes an issue that could cause an AFP client to indefinitely repeat unsuccessful attempts to reconnect to an AFP server after waking from sleep.

Managed Client

Fixes an issue that could prevent managed users from logging in on a PowerPC-based Mac after installing the Mac OS X v10.5.7 Update.

Improves reliability of synchronizing files from a portable home directory to a network home hosted on an SMB server.

Login Items stored in a user's network home directory will now run properly at login.

Simultaneous login is now correctly disallowed if the "Allow simultaneous login" setting is unchecked.

Server Admin

Fixes an issue that could cause Server Admin to stop responding when propagating permissions.

Adds NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for Macs introduced in June 2009.

System Image Utility

Adds NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for Macs introduced in June 2009.

Additional improvements

Improves Mac OS X Server security. For more information about the security content of Mac OS X Server v10.5.8 see this article.

Mac OS X Server v10.5.8 also includes all other improvements delivered in the client Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Yaay!
  • Reply 2 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is it snappy? For how long?
  • Reply 3 of 131
    And the first 10.5.9 beta will drop in how many weeks? I know many have been saying that 10.5.8 is the last point update to Leopard, but I think it’s unlikely given the time after until Snow Leopard, the fact that no PPC-based Mac can get Snow Leopard, and the fact that Apple usually releases one more point update soon after the release of the next major OS update.
  • Reply 4 of 131
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    Not a lot of changes there... I'm almost certain that this is the last 10.5.x update we get before Snow Leopard is released, while 10.5.9 might be coming soon after that.
  • Reply 5 of 131
    deepdeep Posts: 13member
    Upgraded. Running fine.
  • Reply 6 of 131
    Strangely had to reboot twice, system felt a little sluggish the first minutes, but now....

it feels.....
  • Reply 7 of 131
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I wonder if the update blocks dictionary sites.

jk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiognome View Post

Strangely had to reboot twice, system felt a little sluggish the first minutes, but now....

it feels.....

I was surprised to see that video had 32991 keer bekeken
  • Reply 8 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I wonder if the update blocks dictionary sites.

I realy hate this song, but every time I read the word 'Snappy' in a comment to a software-upgrade it comes to my head.

Was a big chartbuster here some years ago with lots of airplay (to explain to the non-Dutch readers).

All that I have been through with 10.5.7, iPhone 2.1, 3.0 etc...

With 10.6 I'll probably go mad
  • Reply 9 of 131
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Huh? The Combo-Update weighs in at 979MB here, downloading from Apple's Site....

------

Disregard that, I'm an idiot....
  • Reply 10 of 131
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Wrong link for the combo update, the one in the article is to the server combo update. I wonder how many other people will end up downloading almost a gig of the wrong data because of that link.

Here's the right one:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update
  • Reply 11 of 131
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple released the next -- and potentially last -- upgrade to its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system Wednesday afternoon, bringing minor tweaks before the debut of Snow Leopard in September.

This is not the last update. 10.6 is not like some total automatic replacement of 10.5. 10.5.9 will be the last, and it will come in about a month as a final tweak.
  • Reply 12 of 131
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    While I can't claim issues with the current revision it is obvious Safari needs work so update I will. Well somtime soon, no WiFi here. All in all the update sounds good.

As to the nonsense that this is the last 10.5.xx update I have to say nonsense. One more is very likely and longer term support even a remote possibility. Apple knows full well that good will is easy to loose and that SL won't work well on a lot of machines. I suspect that they may support Leopard a bit longer than normal.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 131
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

This is not the last update. 10.6 is not like some total automatic replacement of 10.5. 10.5.9 will be the last, and it will come in about a month as a final tweak.

I doubt that very much.

Apple will have another 10.5.x a few months afer 10.6, to work out any issues issues between the two.

And I doubt even that will be the final 10.5.x.
  • Reply 14 of 131
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Wrong link for the combo update, the one in the article is to the server combo update. I wonder how many other people will end up downloading almost a gig of the wrong data because of that link.

Here's the right one:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update

Much thanks!!
  • Reply 15 of 131
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I'd generally be excited to get this upgrade, but I currently run the latest build of 10.6. However Safari 4.03 is a lot more crash happy than any previous build of SL. Regardless, I feel we haven't seen the last 10.5 update. I suspect we will see 10.5.9 and that will be the last point release. I am sure a few security updates would be applied to 10.5 after SL is released, but no more point releases.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiognome View Post

it feels.....

My restart after the Software Update also was lengthy. Patiently waited through an apparent multiple re-boot. Thought maybe the Airport and Time Capsule fixes and the Bluetooth fixes could have been responsible since I do have a Time Capsule and wireless mouse and keyboard. Otherwise, my iMac is running fine. The first subsequent Time Machine backup onto the Time Capsule had a lengthy 'Preparation' pass, but it is OK as well. Very much looking forward to Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 17 of 131
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Updated all my computers with no issues, and yes the update will reboot the computer twice.
  • Reply 18 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As usual, I'll wait a few days, checking with MacFixit, and others, before upgrading our machines.
  • Reply 19 of 131
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    what fun is in waiting?
  • Reply 20 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

what fun is in waiting?

I tend to have substantially less problems than many who rush in for the "fun". I guess fun is relative. When problems occur, which seems to happen a fair amount of time, I can avoid them.

To me, that's "fun".