Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    I wondering if they will ever fix Spaces in 10.5.x?
  • Reply 22 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Updated all my computers with no issues, and yes the update will reboot the computer twice.

My MBP 17 inch only rebooted once.

I hope this fixes the clamshell power up/down standby mode. Frequently now when using the the dual dvi to mini display port adapter (firmware 1.02) in clamshell mode, my MBP powers back up after disconnection, and stays powered and hot in my bag.

Has this update fixed this for anyone?
  • Reply 23 of 131
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    09 MP rebooted twice then smooth sailing after a rather long boot. Everything seems silky smooth now. (and thank you for finally fixing the resolution problems!)
  • Reply 24 of 131
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Wow.

Not only is it snappier, but I now also have whiter teeth and my breath has a fresh minty taste!
  • Reply 25 of 131
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    For added peace of mind, download the Combo Updater from Apple's site and use that to update your system, instead of the delta that downloads from the Software Update application.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yaay!

Yay too! Downloading now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is it snappy? For how long?

It's the stud. BTW usually, snappiness on a Mac stays for many, many months. Doesn't suffer the rotting that a Windows install does - I'm very picky with what I install on my PC, because I want maximum uncompromising performance in games. Which means staying clear of any shareware/ "multimedia" / toolbar/ etc. downloads unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

For added peace of mind, download the Combo Updater from Apple's site and use that to update your system, instead of the delta that downloads from the Software Update application.

Anyone facing problems with the delta update? I'm too lazy to download the combo updater and then install it on two machines manually. Just lettin' software update do its thing here... \
  • Reply 27 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Holy moley 759 MB for the Combo updater. I guess it handles everything from 10.5.0 so I guess that's alright.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Upgraded an iMac and a MacBook Pro...both did a single reboot.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Well, this is my first system update with my brand new 13" MacBook Pro (longtime Windows user who has finally converted to a Mac ).

Mine rebooted twice (which initially startled me), but everything is working smoothly!
  • Reply 30 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to the nonsense that this is the last 10.5.xx update I have to say nonsense. One more is very likely and longer term support even a remote possibility. Apple knows full well that good will is easy to loose and that SL won't work well on a lot of machines. I suspect that they may support Leopard a bit longer than normal.

I wonder about that too. Snow Leopard is being treated differently from almost every other cat update.

Snow Leopard hasn't been solicited yet. I would expect at least one more point update to Leopard if they hold to pattern, a point update to the previous cat usually shows up about a week after the release of a new cat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As usual, I'll wait a few days, checking with MacFixit, and others, before upgrading our machines.

Fie! Heretic!

Actually, I do wait half a week and do a system drive backup before updating a point release. Even Apple software updates occasionally have issues that need to be shaken out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

what fun is in waiting?

What's the rush?
  • Reply 31 of 131
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I doubt that very much.

Apple will have another 10.5.x a few months afer 10.6, to work out any issues issues between the two. And I doubt even that will be the final 10.5.x.

Agreed. I think all this has been engendered simply by some typically mangled wording from Apple Insider. This site is not known for it's English usage and grammatical correctness to say the least.

This here:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple released the next -- and potentially last -- upgrade to its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system Wednesday afternoon, bringing minor tweaks before the debut of Snow Leopard in September.

Is an awful, awful sentence that would get you minus ten marks in any English class.

If you take out the "bringing minor tweaks" part, then it reads as simply (paraphrased), "The last update before Snow Leopard," which is what I think they meant to say.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Agreed. I think all this has been engendered simply by some typically mangled wording from Apple Insider. This site is not known for it's English usage and grammatical correctness to say the least.

This here: Is an awful, awful sentence that would get you minus ten marks in any English class.

If you take out the "bringing minor tweaks" part, then it reads as simply (paraphrased), "The last update before Snow Leopard," which is what I think they meant to say.

Actually, I think the article is trying to say 10.5.8 is possibly the *very last ever* Leopard update.

Which a lot of posters here disagree with. I think there will be 10.5.9 around the time/ soon after Snow Leopard is released. Then, there could be a 10.5.10 early next year as the *very last ever so long and goodbye* Leopard update.

Just my humble onion. I mean opinion.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    bert32bert32 Posts: 7member
    After I installed 10.5.8 through software update, my screen resets to full brightness every time I restart. I have an iMac CD2 White Mid-2007. Anyone else having this issue right after the update?, I tried resetting the P-RAM but that doesn't work. Please help!
  • Reply 34 of 131
    Updated an iMac and a MacBook, one iMac to go. So far so good. Don't really notice any speed changes or anything else. Also, Safari still shows as 4.0.2 after the update, is that correct?
  • Reply 35 of 131
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

I wondering if they will ever fix Spaces in 10.5.x?

What was wrong with Spaces? I don't use it much.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually, I think the article is trying to say 10.5.8 is possibly the *very last ever* Leopard update.

Which a lot of posters here disagree with. I think there will be 10.5.9 around the time/ soon after Snow Leopard is released. Then, there could be a 10.5.10 early next year as the *very last ever so long and goodbye* Leopard update.

No way we make it to .10. They want rid of PPC. If we got one more . release I would be half surprised.
  • Reply 37 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, I think it stinks. Your opinion that is, not the onion.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bert32 View Post

After I installed 10.5.8 through software update, my screen resets to full brightness every time I restart. I have an iMac CD2 White Mid-2007. Anyone else having this issue right after the update?, I tried resetting the P-RAM but that doesn't work. Please help!

And so it begins with the early adopters.

No, we have no idea which bug is doing that to you.

Try doing what you should have done. Download the combined update, and try again.

Also fix permissions.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    spamboyspamboy Posts: 34member
    I think there will be a few more "point" upgrades...certainly 9, possibly 10, doubtfully 11, positively not 12.

My guess is .9, but there will be security updates forever just because (as has been pointed out) it IS the last version to work on a PPC. They are still issuing security updates for 10.4 (because it was the last one that would run on a ≤800 MHz machine, of which there are TONS). Too many companies still rely on their trusty G4 towers. They invested money in them, and they still work well, plus they're the only ones without spending $2500+ that will hold more than one internal hard drive.

The G4 hit the sweet spot of Apple computers for businesses:

1) They weren't overly expensive (quite affordable, actually),

2) The PPC chips were stable and damn good,

3) They were expandable (multiple hard drives, new ethernet/port/graphics card slots, memory easy to get to),

4) No built-in monitor meant that you could use whichever one you wanted, and didn't need to go through expensive repair/replacement if a monitor failed,

5) Didn't get so hot they needed 7 internal fans and the power supplies didn't always get fried like the G5s,

6) Not as fragile as laptops, and were too heavy and bulky to "disappear,"

7) Did I mention multiple hard drives?

8) They are good, solid workhorses that run a good, solid operating system.

So, in short, the PPC support from Mac will have to continue for at least the 3 or 4 years.
  • Reply 40 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

they still work well, plus they're the only ones without spending $2500+ that will hold more than one internal hard drive.

The G4 hit the sweet spot of Apple computers for businesses:

1) They weren't overly expensive (quite affordable, actually),

2) The PPC chips were stable and damn good,

3) They were expandable (multiple hard drives, new ethernet/port/graphics card slots, memory easy to get to),

4) No built-in monitor meant that you could use whichever one you wanted, and didn't need to go through expensive repair/replacement if a monitor failed,

5) Didn't get so hot they needed 7 internal fans and the power supplies didn't always get fried like the G5s,

6) Not as fragile as laptops, and were too heavy and bulky to "disappear,"

7) Did I mention multiple hard drives?

8) They are good, solid workhorses that run a good, solid operating system.

So, in short, the PPC support from Mac will have to continue for at least the 3 or 4 years.

They weren't that much cheaper, once inflation is taken into account.