Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Just updated over 20 iMacs at my office from the auto software updater. No problems.
  • Reply 82 of 131
    My God, I didn't know doing an update could be so traumatic!

- well, I did the update, through Software Update

- it seemed to work fine

- no problems

- and seems to have fixed the problems I was having with Airport.

\\
  • Reply 83 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Download the combined update, and try again.

Also fix permissions.

Hey, Mel. I used Software Update with no problems (single reboot, repaired permissions, snappy). But then I saw some of the posts from people having problems, so I then downloaded the Combo Updater and tried installing that just to be on the safe side? problems (Finder started acting strange, sluggishness, etc.). Hard-rebooted into Safe Mode and ran the Combo Updater again. The Combo installer completed the install, but then after clicking on RESTART, the installer wouldn't quit. Hard-rebooted again (this time starting up from my rescue drive), ran Drive Genius, repaired permissions, restarted normally and now I seem to be up and running. Not sure what that was all about.

About the permissions though? whenever I repair permissions, there's always a laundry list of permissions that "are such-n-such, but should be such-n-so" but Disk Utility never actually changes them no matter how many times I run the repair? Is that normal?
  • Reply 84 of 131
    iandeaniandean Posts: 23member
    Wahoo!!! The iDisk icon in finder now matches the me.com and iphone iDisk app. Its blue and not purple.

Yes I'm anal!
  • Reply 85 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's the stud. BTW usually, snappiness on a Mac stays for many, many months. Doesn't suffer the rotting that a Windows install does - I'm very picky with what I install on my PC, because I want maximum uncompromising performance in games. Which means staying clear of any shareware/ "multimedia" / toolbar/ etc. downloads unless absolutely necessary.

... \

Hey nvidia2008- what's the absolutely best Mac game? A friend of my says he can't find any when he googles Mac games. Any recomendations?
  • Reply 86 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean View Post

Wahoo!!! The iDisk icon in finder now matches the me.com and iphone iDisk app. Its blue and not purple.

Yes I'm anal!

Color coordination is a good thing.
  • Reply 87 of 131
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    After the 10.5.8 update my iMac boots with display's brightness at maximum setting.
  • Reply 88 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Even though Apple has Software Update, it's always a good idea to download the combo update, and install from there.

The smaller one usually updates some of these files, leaves others alone, and replaces others. It can be a mess.

The combo update simply replaces everything all at once, and is safer.

I would do that, and then fix permissions. You can try permissions first, but I don't think that will help.

I know that some people razz me for saying this, but people sometimes have some disk corruption, or problems that they aren't aware of. If you do, that could cause a problem. The updates don't do the thorough job of diskchecking that an upgrade does (though, just to be on the safe side I do check the disk first).

If you do have a problem, it doesn't hurt to check the disk.

Now why would Apple have "Software Update" if it is flawed as you state? I've never had a problem using it when it advises me that an update is available. However, I refuse to go seek out updates - that's when the problems usually arise IMHO.
  • Reply 89 of 131
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

its not as smooth.

minor hiccups here and there.

safari seems slower

and time machine freezes and then unfreezes

Is time machine running a backup of the new OS version? Or is your system reindexing spotlight? Those sorts of things often happen right after an upgrade and temporarily slow things down. Has your system returned to normal?
  • Reply 90 of 131
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

After the 10.5.8 update my iMac boots with display's brightness at maximum setting.

I noticed that too, I tried resetting the PRAM, but that doesn't seem to fix it. Not sure what is wrong. Doesn't happen on Mac Pro or Macbook.
  • Reply 91 of 131
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I'm pretty cautious, too. My method:

1. Boot from cloned backup drive (I always keep this one .version back just in case. CCC is also my weapon of choice, here)

2. Run DiskWarrior on main drive.

3. Boot from main drive & clone entire shebang to backup drive.

4. Reboot from backup to make sure it's all hunky dory in case I need to use if for a nuke/pave in the event of a bad update. (It's only happened once or twice, but this has reduced my worry factor to zero)

5. Eject & unplug backup drive.

6. Reboot from main drive & run software update.

I think journaling has made a lot of this less necessary, as it seems like directory corruption is much less of a problem since 10.3, but you never know. I had problems the last time I ran DW.
  • Reply 92 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Is time machine running a backup of the new OS version? Or is your system reindexing spotlight? Those sorts of things often happen right after an upgrade and temporarily slow things down. Has your system returned to normal?

They really should inform you when Spotlight is doing a reindexing. It?s too often people just don?t realize that can slow down your machine. The indicator that Spotlight is indexing is very subtle; a single dot in the center of the Spotlight icon. They really should have the icon change its look noticeably or even have an overlay for several seconds that states that Spotlight will be indexing your drive which may cause a temporary slowdown until complete.
  • Reply 93 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

They really should inform you when Spotlight is doing a reindexing. It?s too often people just don?t realize that can slow down your machine. The indicator that Spotlight is indexing is very subtle; a single dot in the center of the Spotlight icon. They really should have the icon change its look noticeably or even have an overlay for several seconds that states that Spotlight will be indexing your drive which may cause a temporary slowdown until complete.

I agree that the indexing indicator should be more dynamic, but I think Spotlight should be able to index without slowing the system down at all.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    kinda sad the final update to the g 3 4 5 series . goodbye

snow lep is intel only

my g4 's all of them rocked

apple cut's the cord years too early
  • Reply 95 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I agree that the indexing indicator should be more dynamic, but I think Spotlight should be able to index without slowing the system down at all.

I?d like that, even if it had to do it slower than normal while actively using the machine. Eventually it won?t be an issue so perhaps Apple just doesn?t care about to spend the time and effort for that temporary hiccup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

kinda sad the final update to the g 3 4 5 series . goodbye

snow lep is intel only

my g4 's all of them rocked

apple cut's the cord years too early

I wouldn?t say that. It?s not like Snow Leopard has much of anything that PPC users could have used anyway. The biggest loss seems to be Exchange support in Mail, but if they haven?t had it for years as it is then I don?t think still not having it is that big of a deal. The inclusion really is more of a benefit for upcoming switchers. Grand Central Dispatch would be pointless for so few dual core G5s and there is debate over whether they could benefit from it the same way as Intel Core can. OpenCL would require GPU support, which isn?t even in older GPUs for Intel-based Macs.

By the time Snow Leopard comes out the last PPC will have been off Apple?s main shelves for just over 3 years. That is sufficient, but that does not mean that Apple will stop supporting Leopard altogether. In fact, Security and other updates will still appear for at least a couple years. After all, Tiger still gets support. What is unknown is if Apple will continue point updates for Leopard even after Snow Leopard is released. I expect at least 10.5.9 to come after Snow Leopard, but not sure about any others. Either way, PPC users aren?t being left in the dust as dramatically as some make them out to be.
  • Reply 96 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I?d like that, even if it had to do it slower than normal while actively using the machine. Eventually it won?t be an issue so perhaps Apple just doesn?t care about to spend the time and effort for that temporary hiccup.

I wouldn?t say that. It?s not like Snow Leopard has much of anything that PPC users could have used anyway. The biggest loss seems to be Exchange support in Mail, but if they haven?t had it for years as it is then I don?t think still not having it is that big of a deal. The inclusion really is more of a benefit for upcoming switchers. Grand Central Dispatch would be pointless for so few dual core G5s and there is debate over whether they could benefit from it the same way as Intel Core can. OpenCL would require GPU support, which isn?t even in older GPUs for Intel-based Macs.

By the time Snow Leopard comes out the last PPC will have been off Apple?s main shelves for just over 3 years. That is sufficient, but that does not mean that Apple will stop supporting Leopard altogether. In fact, Security and other updates will still appear for at least a couple years. After all, Tiger still gets support. What is unknown is if Apple will continue point updates for Leopard even after Snow Leopard is released. I expect at least 10.5.9 to come after Snow Leopard, but not sure about any others. Either way, PPC users aren?t being left in the dust as dramatically as some make them out to be.

APPLE stated that all support for non intel devices will cease with snow lep .

i have no idea what exactly that means ,I took it too mean that besides major bug fixes > this final update is IT >> as for OS non intel improvements . I own 5 non intel machines and my gray imac dv special from 99 still gets some app updates.

I may be wrong but i feel the g series should continue to get optimised and upgraded far into the future . They served us well .

maybe gran ppoh bah mel knows more
  • Reply 97 of 131
    I see 165mb
  • Reply 98 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

I think there will be a few more "point" upgrades...certainly 9, possibly 10, doubtfully 11, positively not 12.

My guess is .9, but there will be security updates forever just because (as has been pointed out) it IS the last version to work on a PPC. They are still issuing security updates for 10.4 (because it was the last one that would run on a ≤800 MHz machine, of which there are TONS). Too many companies still rely on their trusty G4 towers. They invested money in them, and they still work well, plus they're the only ones without spending $2500+ that will hold more than one internal hard drive.

The G4 hit the sweet spot of Apple computers for businesses:

1) They weren't overly expensive (quite affordable, actually),

2) The PPC chips were stable and damn good,

3) They were expandable (multiple hard drives, new ethernet/port/graphics card slots, memory easy to get to),

4) No built-in monitor meant that you could use whichever one you wanted, and didn't need to go through expensive repair/replacement if a monitor failed,

5) Didn't get so hot they needed 7 internal fans and the power supplies didn't always get fried like the G5s,

6) Not as fragile as laptops, and were too heavy and bulky to "disappear,"

7) Did I mention multiple hard drives?

8) They are good, solid workhorses that run a good, solid operating system.

So, in short, the PPC support from Mac will have to continue for at least the 3 or 4 years.

3 or 4 years ? this is the last update for g-4
  • Reply 99 of 131
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Hi

My Macbook is running very slow after the upgrade. folders on desktop dont respond to double click, HD icon dont respond to double click.

safari and firefox both are very slow .

having problems with network connection both wireless and cable. the system is not saving the network settings. did a dick repair using disk utility and it made it worse.

anyone having such problems?

\\
  • Reply 100 of 131
    I just wanted to voice a couple of thoughts about this update.

I ran this update through software update on both a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini. The MacBook Pro updated perfectly with a single reboot. The Mini on the other hand was hosed.

It seemed to install fine on the Mini, and the Mini proceeded to reboot, and then reboot again. On the second reboot it was stuck on the Apple logo screen with the rotating gear. I did a hard reboot and ran in verbose mode.

It seems to be failing to connect with mDNSResponder. I don't know a lot about it, but I believe that it is used by Bonjour. Every time it fails it attempts to connect again. I'm sorry I couldn't get screen caps.

I performed an Archive and Install on the system and 55 minutes later everything is back up and running. I think I may hold off on this update for the Mini until the dust settles a bit.

As a side note, I noticed a new feature. If you do a restart and hold the Option key you get the boot choice menu, with an added twist. There's now a way to connect to a wireless network right there. I tried it out and it works fine. Not sure what it is supposed to be used for. The connection wasn't held over to the install. Maybe Snow Leopard will take advantage of it.