Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year

1111213141517»

Comments

• Reply 321 of 332
    But the weird thing is that I think we can all guess what it will look like. It's going to look like the iPhone, right?

Yet no one has made a tablet that minimal.. why not? Is it that difficult to do what Apple does stylistically? Is multi touch that special that other companies can't approximate it?

I was looking at the Archos 9.. it seems to be very close to what the Apple tablet will be, but talk about lacking elegance.. yeesh. It looks incredibly cheap. You would think Sony has the resources to copy Apple, but they haven't. It's strange.
  • Reply 322 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

But the weird thing is that I think we can all guess what it will look like. It's going to look like the iPhone, right?

Yet no one has made a tablet that minimal.. why not? Is it that difficult to do what Apple does stylistically? Is multi touch that special that other companies can't approximate it?

I was looking at the Archos 9.. it seems to be very close to what the Apple tablet will be, but talk about lacking elegance.. yeesh. It looks incredibly cheap. You would think Sony has the resources to copy Apple, but they haven't. It's strange.

I don't think it will look like the iPhone. I bet that Apple has something under it's sleeve. I think Apple will offer another design.
  • Reply 323 of 332
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Nothing yet. From what I heard, other copycats are waiting for Apple to release the "tablet" so they will follow suit.

Which is strange because even if the copycats do come out with something similar it'll still just be Windows.
  • Reply 324 of 332
    Quote:

I don't think it will look like the iPhone. I bet that Apple has something under it's sleeve. I think Apple will offer another design.

I hope Apple doesn't go the iPhone route. I think going that route is too easy. And I think a Tablet requires a very unique design to make it functional.
  • Reply 325 of 332
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I hope Apple doesn't go the iPhone route. I think going that route is too easy. And I think a Tablet requires a very unique design to make it functional.

I'm not sure anymore what the issue with people these days is and their total lack of imagination, but this constantly repeated theme about iPhone OS is becoming gross. You need to realize that IPhone OS was derived from a prototype tablet OS in the first place. So a tablet from Apple could derive from that prototype or derive from iPhone OS itself.

Further how many OS APIs do you really think Apple can support? It would be far easier for Apple to extend iPhones APIs than it would be for them to build yet another OS. The last thing Apple needs to do is to loose control of it's OS development resources. In fact I could see more of Aplles products implemented in IPhone OS, Apple TV being one of them.

Is iPhone OS perfect? Hell no but it can be easily built upon. It is a clear track of development separate from Mac OS.

Dave
  • Reply 326 of 332
    Wizard, I meant the product design. Not the OS.

Though I think if you are paying close to a thousand for it it should run a full fledged app. Otherwise the price doesn't fit IMO.
  • Reply 327 of 332
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

What is the closest thing to an Apple tablet we could find out there right now?

Considering what I'm imagining there is nothing even close. The problem is to do this right Apple will need to develope a lot of tech on bleeding edge processes. This means SoC possibly implemented with flip chip tech. We are talking about compressing a lot of computing power into a very small space. All of this effort to keep the tablet thin while supporting a big battery.

Most tablets these days can't even match iPhone in performance, this tablet will have to out do iPhone significantly. Honestly Apple needs to deliver better than Atom performance while using significantly less power. Thus the ARM based SoC which at the minimal needs two cores though four would be better. The whole SoC that is the CPU and GPU complex and I/O needs to run at less than one watt. That won't be easy at all even with ARM and will likely require Samsungs latest processes to fabricate. Some will dismiss one watt saying it is easy with ARM cores bit that depends upon how fast you run them and doesn't take the GPU into account. That GPU could have several cores itself.

In any event none of this is off the shelf tech yet. Apple needs to design the SoC and allied hardware and to figure out how to make sure it occupies minimal space in the box. Now ask yourself who has the capacity and talent to tackel such a project? Likely nobody. The best the competition can do is to use something like Qualcomms Snapdragon.

That isn't all that easy either apparently because few if any Snapdragon based devices have hit the market. This likely due to the other half of the equation - software. The biggest potential here is Android, followed by a more general Linux distro. Android looks like a flop and nobody is putting effort into a Linux disto except for Nokia. For the most part Nokias hardware has been a joke.

So there really is nothing out there that compares.

Dave
  • Reply 328 of 332
    OK, here's my predictions for the Apple tablet, which I will call the "iProduct" for now:

-The iProduct WILL run full Mac OS X Snow Leopard. However, it will also have a special "quick-launch" interface for tablet-only apps that are downloaded via iTunes 9 (launched simultaneously). Tablet apps would include Mac OS X software, Amazon Kindle books, and more at first, but a developer kit would be available at launch for games and other tablet-only apps.

-In addition to running Mac OS X, the new iProduct will also have a iPhone-esque "instant-on" interface with Safari, Mail, iTunes, Address Book, iPhone sync, Amazon Kindle e-reader, and other features.

-iProduct CPU: Intel Atom Z500 series. Graphics: NVIDIA Ion. (Remember, Apple doesn't have the same licensing restrictions as Windows box assemblers do with their netbooks.)

-The iProduct's "quick-launch/instant-on" interface will require the use of flash memory SSDs. Expect 64 and 128 GB iProduct models, and remember that Apple buys flash memory on the cheap from Toshiba and the like.

-The iProduct's battery will be the same as the latest MacBook Pros, but the lower power consumption of the Atom/ION/SSD/10" screen combo will allow for 8+ hours on a charge.

-Only three ports: one USB, one headphone jack, one Mini DisplayPort. Oh, and an SD/SDHC card slot for expansion a la MacBook Pro.

-Apple's friends at AT&T will also offer an iProduct with integrated 3G. A Verizon Wireless iProduct is also possible, but not a given like an AT&T version.

-Pricing: $699 for 64 GB, $799 for 128 GB. AT&T subsidies will knock down the price of either model by $200 if you sign a 2-year AT&T contract for AT&T 3G LaptopConnect service at $59.99/month.
  • Reply 329 of 332
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Further how many OS APIs do you really think Apple can support?

One. OS X and Cocoa.

How many User Interfaces can Apple Support?

Four

Mac OS X.

AppleTV

iPhone

Tablet.

C.
  • Reply 330 of 332
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Which is strange because even if the copycats do come out with something similar it'll still just be Windows.

Yeah. Maybe LINUX or the CHROME OS!
  • Reply 331 of 332
    Quote:

+1. I have a very strong feeling that it will not follow the iPhone/ iPod Touch's design stream but instead have another design and will run a "touchscreen capable" version of Snow Leopard. Just my $0.02.
  • Reply 332 of 332
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Quote:

I too think that the design of the device will not be what people are expecting it to be. Say what you will against Apple (they do things that bother me too) but you have to admit they are masters at product design.

In fact, wasn't it already in the news that most manufacturers have put entire projects on hold and halted production lines to see what Apple has come up with?