Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features

Comments

• Reply 121 of 232
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

GLASS REFLECTS light . Imacs will have glass./ Apple is going green so glass is hear to stay/

Buy a dell with matte/ DELL makes fine matte machines

It is possible to coat glass with anti-glare materials. Apple has just chosen not to do so.
  • Reply 122 of 232
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I am surprised so few people have seen this as being one of the most likely additions.

Integrated graphics are a bit of a headache when your main supplier is found to be using failure prone manufacturing methods. It makes warranty repairs rather expensive I would imagine.

Because people using Apple products are generally less tech savy...
  • Reply 123 of 232
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makepeace View Post

AppleInsider has its ups and downs (down when they let Prince Maclean aka Daniel Dilger launch into one of his conspiracy theories, up when they stick to the facts) but this is the worst article of the last year by a considerable margin.

you nailed it on "Prince" and this article. On to the iMac I'll going for a multitouch keyboard with some type of tactile feedback. I'm cool with the iPhone's keyboard but would think a traditional sized keyboard may be award with that feedback.
  • Reply 124 of 232
    Here's to innovation!

Okay. Moment of joy has evaporated.

As much as I like the iMac at work, I like my Mini at home.

Whisper quiet ant it lets me run any operating system I desire on it.

There are some features I hope they push into both iMacs and the Minis.

Cooler temperature for the CPU and a solid state drive standard.

Also standard would be 2 Gb of RAM.
  • Reply 125 of 232
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Joy. An even slimmer design. I guess the likelihood that the iMac will ever get a Quad Core is going down. The iMac doesn't use current 45W Penryn Core 2 Quad or the special 65W desktop Core 2 Quads and Nehalem based quad cores aren't much better at 95W for Lynnfield and 55W/45W for mobile Clarksdale. Further thinning the iMac which will likely further reduce thermal room won't help any.

True. But the iMac is the very defintion of a consumer product, where design trumps specs and will continue to do so. Heavy lifting is what the Pros are for.
  • Reply 126 of 232
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

too general of a statement
  • Reply 127 of 232
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    looking forward to find out about the new look of the imac
  • Reply 128 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philu View Post

Standard desktop memory instead of SO-DIMMs

I've been pondering about memory in general. With Snow Leopard and nearly infinite memory coming around: while 2GB DIMMS are cheap, 4GB DIMMS are killer expensive. What good is unlimited memory if it costs more than the computer itself?? Or do they expect all the orders for higher memory start driving the costs down?
  • Reply 129 of 232
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philu View Post

Standard desktop memory instead of SO-DIMMs

Not really that big of a deal right now. I looked at Newegg, the base price for decent brand 4GB SODIMMs was about the same base price of 4GB DIMMs, starting at roughly $135, give or take a fiver or tenner.

A pair of 2GB SODIMMs (totalling 4GB) costed me only $50, it was almost the cheapest upgrade I've ever done to a computer other than maybe an occasional low end I/O card.
  • Reply 130 of 232
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Giampaolo? Is that you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It is possible to coat glass with anti-glare materials. Apple has just chosen not to do so.

Yes, the problem isn't glass, per se, it's the glare and reflections, right? (Unless there is some color issue for the art crowd, I'm a text guy, so I wouldn't even notice a color difference, unless it's of the magnitude of red to purple.) The glare and reflections are a big problem. But I'd have no problem with the glass if they get rid of the glare/reflections, especially with an oleophobic coating. I think it would look a lot nicer than the matte (so it would pass the "pretty" test), be much easier to keep clean, and I can't imagine that I would have any problems with it.
  • Reply 131 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

I've been pondering about memory in general. With Snow Leopard and nearly infinite memory coming around: while 2GB DIMMS are cheap, 4GB DIMMS are killer expensive. What good is unlimited memory if it costs more than the computer itself?? Or do they expect all the orders for higher memory start driving the costs down?

More than the computer itself? Maybe you want to take another look?

Newegg has 4GB DIMM sticks starting at $135 for notebook type, $132 for desktop type, or $150 for desktop type if you restrict yourself to in stock items.

Interestingly, there is a larger variety of notebook 4GB sticks than desktop ones, 17 vs. 5. That is a role reversal, usually notebook memory costed more and you had less variety than with desktop memory.
  • Reply 132 of 232
    ...I'd like to see:

1. Quad core. Nehelem consumer class. (You shouldn't have to pay £1800 to get a quad core Mac. Shocking.)

2. GPU. Mid-range class as standard. (You should have to pay £1500 to get a budget GPU.)

3. 30 inch iMac - Mass production of 30 inch screens on an iMac scale could make them much cheaper. The iMac has been 24 inch for a while now. We're due a bigger screen size.

4. Terabyte drives a dirt cheap. (And they're getting bigger and cheaper...)

5. SD card slot. Dirt cheap...massive storage. Why not?

6. Blue Ray. Shrugs. PCs have them. Dirt cheap.

As for what's 'special' in the next release?

Blue Ray? PCs have that. *Shrugs.

Dockable tablet option?

Thinner enclosure? Why? It gets hot as is. And I want that Nehelem quad core class cpu in there and a mid-range gpu please. Doen't need to be thinner. Get a freakin' laptop.

7. Number 7? Price. Price. Price. And features included in that price. They can lop off the outrageous UK price jack and cut prices further from there. To go from £675 with int crappics to £995 for entry level machine with int' crappics? Pfft.

The iMac needs a £300 price cut across the board. It costs too much for what it is.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 133 of 232
    imatimat Posts: 216member
    oleophobic keyboard? White keys + fingers = not good in the long run :-)

Seriuosly...

How long before a Mac home server? Semi-pro audio and videophiles would be more than happy to have something like that at home (me at least) if SL brings the promised improved encoding speeds then I'll be more than happy with my MBP 17" as is.
  • Reply 134 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

How long before a Mac home server? Semi-pro audio and videophiles would be more than happy to have something like that at home (me at least) if SL brings the promised improved encoding speeds then I'll be more than happy with my MBP 17" as is.

There is Time Capsule. It supports multiple drives. I think you can even hook a Drobo to it. Otherwise, you can use a mini and hook a Drobo or more to it.
  • Reply 135 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

More than the computer itself? Maybe you want to take another look?

Newegg has 4GB DIMM sticks starting at $135 for notebook type, $132 for desktop type, or $150 for desktop type if you restrict yourself to in stock items.

Not sure the diff between notebook memory and mac memory. Crucial has 4GBx2 for $760 (Yes, it was $1100 a few weeks ago..)
  • Reply 136 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Still, both features have been characterized as significant announcements in their own right, leading some industry-watchers polled by AppleInsider to wonder whether the former of the two will finally see the Cupertino-based company embrace technology once described by chief executive Steve Jobs as "a bag of hurt."

OK, got the Blu-ray by following the link. Call me dense but what was the other feature?
  • Reply 137 of 232
    dmgceodmgceo Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fooruman View Post

This article was so awkwardly written that I had to read the first few sentences a few times to understand what it was even about. I was then dismayed to find that it isn't about anything.

I love AppleInsider (and have been a reader for a long time), but it's sad to see articles like this.

Agreed!!!! Just rambling on - about nothing this & tat. What was the 2ND compelling feature ??????
  • Reply 138 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Not sure the diff between notebook memory and mac memory. Crucial has 4GBx2 for $760 (Yes, it was $1100 a few weeks ago..)

iMac memory is notebook memory, you just have to make sure you get the right type and speed. I saw 4GBx2 for less than $300 at newegg a few weeks ago. I didn't need that much though, so I just stuck with 2GBx2.
  • Reply 139 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I didn't need that much (memory) though

Now there's blasphemy if I ever heard it. :-) You can never have too much memory...
  • Reply 140 of 232
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Joy. An even slimmer design. I guess the likelihood that the iMac will ever get a Quad Core is going down. The iMac doesn't use current 45W Penryn Core 2 Quad or the special 65W desktop Core 2 Quads and Nehalem based quad cores aren't much better at 95W for Lynnfield and 55W/45W for mobile Clarksdale. Further thinning the iMac which will likely further reduce thermal room won't help any.

I share your concerns.

Apple doesn't have a desktop computer with a desktop CPU. The Mac Pro is a workstation with 2 quad-core server CPUs.

As I see it, the next iMac will be a "Make or brake" model which will save the Apple brand of computers or sink it for good. Because Apple doesn't license its operating system, the only way for students, families and companies to get a computer that could pass off for a desktop substitute is to buy an iMac. And the iMac must have competitive features and a competitive price. And not turn off buyers with a mirror, glossy, reflecting monitor.

Nowadays, you can get an HP desktop computer with a quad-core desktop CPU from Intel or AMD and a Blu-Ray drive for less than $1000, including a monitor and printer. Microsoft has already released to manufacturing and group licensing clients its next operating system, Windows 7. The reviews are very good and official launch will be on October 22, 2009, for every new computer in store.

Apple must have a compelling desktop computer offering or it will disappear as a computer hardware manufacturer. The iMac is the only computer close to a desktop computer. And because Apple doesn't license Mac OS X, it doesn't really matter how good Snow Leopard is because buyers can't buy it unless they buy a desktop from Apple. Sure, there are MacBooks, but a portable computer is not for everyone.

The next iMac will make or brake Apple.