Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

After the 10.5.8 update my iMac boots with display's brightness at maximum setting.

my late 2008 UniBody is having same problem. (and had with 10.5.7 as well)
  • Reply 122 of 131
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    On an iMac G5 2.1 with the delta update, it rebooted but after the Apple, I got the dreaded NO symbol and fans at high speed (circle with slash). Shut it down and restarted and it seems fine. Might run the Combo Update just to be sure.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bert32 View Post

Thanks for explaining to him that some people just need help. I'm just sad this is happening to my iMac.

Don't be sad! Guess we'll just have to live with this for a month or so.
  • Reply 124 of 131
    This is *bad*!

I thought Macs were supposed to 'just work'!

- not require intimate knowledge of Unix to do a system update

I guess it comes down to the amount of testing that Apple put in to the upgrade process

- even though the options & combinations in the Mac world are considerably less than the Windows world, it looks like Apple aren't testing enought before releasing.

You would think that the upgrade process would do things like disable Time Machine before doing the upgrade.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    The clicking sound from my Trackpad is so loud, it's making my ears bleed!

- is this normal?

(This feature wasn't effected by the upgrade!)
  • Reply 126 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Hey, Mel. I used Software Update with no problems (single reboot, repaired permissions, snappy). But then I saw some of the posts from people having problems, so I then downloaded the Combo Updater and tried installing that just to be on the safe side… problems (Finder started acting strange, sluggishness, etc.). Hard-rebooted into Safe Mode and ran the Combo Updater again. The Combo installer completed the install, but then after clicking on RESTART, the installer wouldn't quit. Hard-rebooted again (this time starting up from my rescue drive), ran Drive Genius, repaired permissions, restarted normally and now I seem to be up and running. Not sure what that was all about.

About the permissions though… whenever I repair permissions, there's always a laundry list of permissions that "are such-n-such, but should be such-n-so" but Disk Utility never actually changes them no matter how many times I run the repair? Is that normal?

LoL!

If you were a Windows user you would know that if a software upgrade worked, then don't F* with it!

- leave well alone, thank your lucky stars, give thanks to Allah etc.

- I guess, being a Mac User, you thought 'It worked, and was so much fun, I'll do it again in a different way, just to see if that is as much fun as well'!

- but you are right - it *should* have been ok - afterall it's just installing 10.5.8 on 10.5.8

- but this must be a combination that Apple forgot to test, unfortunately

- welcome to the world of computing!

• Reply 127 of 131
    Works fine on my 2.66 iMac.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    I updated my wife's MacBook (White - Intel) to 10.5.8 on Saturday. She had no problems when it was plugged in, but when she disconnected it, it lost the connection to our WiFi, with it saying it has a "Self-assigned IP address". I just spent the last hour playing with my router, thinking something was wrong with that.

Turns out this is some bug in the update.

Whenever you disconnect the power source from the MacBook, it loses the WiFi connection and you can't get it to work. If I open a web browser, it won't connect to any site.

I was able to connect to a neighbor's unsecured WiFi signal on the battery. I'm going to try with a powered connection.

This is INFURIATING.

I just can't trust these system updates anymore. I'm starting to think that if my system isn't showing problems, there's really no reason to risk an update bug.

Will the Apple Genuis bar be able to resolve this for me? I ran a backup of her system onto an external hard drive weeks ago. Can I restore to that if it was running 10.5.7 at the time?
  • Reply 129 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ewiener View Post

I updated my wife's MacBook (White - Intel) to 10.5.8 on Saturday.

Will the Apple Genuis bar be able to resolve this for me? I ran a backup of her system onto an external hard drive weeks ago. Can I restore to that if it was running 10.5.7 at the time?

As I read on slashdot, many users described problems like you. There was also a workaround linked in the article which might help you with the wifi-issues: How to fix Airport/Wi-Fi problems causes by Mac OS X 10.5.8

Have a try and good luck!
  • Reply 130 of 131
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The list of fixes for Leopard are as follows:

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8

AFP Server

Fixes an issue that could cause the AppleFileServer process to keep the server's processor busy even when no users are connected.

THE SAME PROBLEM STILL EXISTS IN MAC OS CLIENT EDITION (at least on the PowerPC platform).

The machine will not sleep automatically because it does not reliably disconnect idle users who access your shared folders via the LAN.

Related console errors: sleep repeatedly cancelled after all file transfer traffic has ceased

2009-12-31 3:39:45 PM kernel Debug PM notification cancel (pid 1361, AppleFileServer)

2009-12-31 3:39:46 PM kernel Debug IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel

THE COREAUDIO SOUND BUG FIXED IN 10.4.5 HAS RETURNED in 10.5.8

(squeals, sound loops, system freezes, etc. when changing volume or running audio programs)

2009-12-16 6:51:50 AM kernel Debug IOAudioStream[0x2d91500]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (111d,3cbb)->(118d,3c49).

2009-12-16 6:51:50 AM kernel Debug IOAudioStream[0x2d91500]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (118c,3cbb)

see also:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic2027.html
  • Reply 131 of 131
    The Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. For detailed information about the security content of this update

Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.5.8 , Mac OS X v10.5.1, v10.5.2, v10.5.3, v10.5.4, v10.5.5, v10.5.6, v10.5.7, AirPort, Bluetooth, iCal, Safari 4