Apple looks to fix bothersome beeps in MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

What is it with Apple and Harddrives - in the last 2 years we have had 5 laptop drives go out with 3 on laptops less than a year old. The others we 2 years old. The last one this past week was on a machine less than 7 months old. But my 13" MacBook that I think is 5 years old and abused by my kids playing pbskids is still working great.

It is not just the notebooks, We have three iMacs and a Mac Mini in our house and Apple has replaced the hard drives in all three of the Aluminum iMacs.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    Some idiot fan boys are misunderstanding the issue and really shouldn't be commenting if they have no clue. I would say the writer of the article glossed over the main gripe too.

The clips and beeps are not a problem for most of people. The real issue is the system locking up for a period of 30-40 seconds when you perform hard drive intensive tasks. By locking up I mean you get the dreaded beach ball and can do nothing with your system. You certainly cannot edit audio or video on these machines with the defect.

Personally I don't care how often the thing clicks or beeps. I care when Mac OS becomes more unstable and unusable than a computer running Microsoft Windows ME.

I dread to think the opinion first time Apple customers are forming of the OS if these machines are their first taste of what Mac OS offers them. I daresay they won't be buying another Apple machine again.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    You forget the best video of all, the promo for the new MacBeep Pause!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZy-qe5xphQ

Joking aside, that's exactly what the experience is like using one of these machines. The noise is just like that, and the system locks up for a second, often five or six times a minute. Then there are the occasional 30-45 second complete system hangs.

I've been suffering from this problem on my new MBP 17" since the day I got it in June. Unfortunately, I opted for the 7200RPM 500GB drive which is the source of the problem.

Apple has constantly changed their story with me, both in person at the Genius Bar and on AppleCare phone support. First, they saw and recognized the problem. Then it wasn't a problem. Then they would replace the drive. Then they wouldn't. Now their line for the last few weeks with me was that they won't replace the drive because a replacement would have the same issue, so I should just wait for a fix. They still won't release any official word on it.

My husband got so fed up hearing the beep while sitting next to me that he bought and installed a replacement drive while we wait. This is what it's sunk to.

Here is what I find the most infuriating, though. When you consider that:
    a) Apple is claiming that they can't replace our drives because the problem is pervasive

PLUS

b) Apple is still selling this drive as an upgrade option through the Apple Store web site

EQUALS

Apple is knowingly selling top-end laptops to their customers with a crippling performance problem!
    Seriously, my long time respect for this company and its quality has evaporated over this.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Bad luck, I'll wager. Either bad luck or the computer is being tilted or jostled with some regularity, though it seems like you've got an idea of that with the comment about your kids. Apple generally sticks to the better models of hard drives, but there isn't a whole lot of variance in hard drive choices between different laptop manufacturers?similar hard drives are found in other brands. Your computer doesn't really do anything that could stress the hard drive (though the subject issue might) outside user preferences such as whether it spins down and how often the computer is on.

I've never had a hard drive go out on one of my Apple laptops, ever. And I'll attribute a fair bit of that to good luck, given I've been using Apple hardware almost as long as Apple has been making it.

It probably is bad luck - we don't baby our machines but don't abuse them either. The point I was makin was that the old 13" which has been abused by my kids (including being pulled off the kitchen table a couple of times by them tripping over the power cord - made before the new magnetized cord) just keeps working.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    I've got one of these drives and I'd just like to say...

ABOUT DAMN TIME

It's not the beeping thats the issue for me... it's the random performance loss. I called and asked if there was anything Apple could do for me and they said it was the drive shutting down "to save energy". Saving energy is great, but not when I'm burning a DVD (thanks for the coasters, apple!), raiding in World of Warcraft, or trying to copy files from one drive to another.

I hope that they post a firmware update for the drive soon; I need this system for school in the fall ... and 4 years thereafter at least.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    cdycdy Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

HEY DUDE no way . YOU mis-understood my post i am sorry for that .

[...]

peace

ps let us know what happens .

Ah-ha, Ok, cool. I did say I had trouble parsing your message. :-)
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Looks like a Seagate problem. I've upgraded my Macbook to a Samsung Spinpoint M2 7200 a few months ago and never experienced any "clicks".

Not to mention that the thing was dirt cheap compared to Apple's official upgrade offers.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fseesink View Post

For anyone who has ever owned an external Seagate HD (e.g., I have 400GB and 500GB 3.5" units), and I suspect the same for the 2.5" units, Seagates have some kind of power management feature that makes the HD spin down after something like 5 min. of inactivity. Sounds all nice and green, only it royally sucks when you go to access the HD and you have to wait for the drive to spin back up and go to work. And yes, there's a beep and a click sound that typically accompanies the spinup. I've gotten used to listening both for that and the sound of the drives spinning down when they go to sleep.

I'm personally wary of commercial 2.5" external drives in general. I've had problems with WDs not working anymore, but that was an enclosure problem. Put the drive in a new enclosure and it works fine.

Quote:

HEY DUDE no way . YOU mis-understood my post i am sorry for that .

, I am very upset that seagate again has screwed up

My MBP 15"7200 RPM 500 G DRIVE HAS the same possible problem as you .

YOU have not stated what kind of drive you have or why you haven't posted over at apple .

THERE are 3 known issues with apple drives , Only one issue has the seagate 500g 7200 rpm beeping thing. So its important to be clear what exactly your drive is and what exactly happens .

I've installed two 500GB 7200RPM Seagates (ST9500420AS - note no "G"), so far, I don't have the problem. As far as I've heard, the problem is when you get a drive with the "G" at the end of the model number, because the drive and the computer conflict because both have the sudden motion sensor. You only want one on.

I'd say that Seagate was well-intentioned with their drop-sensor system, it simply conflicted with Apple's sudden motion sensor.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've installed two 500GB 7200RPM Seagates (ST9500420AS - note no "G"), so far, I don't have the problem. As far as I've heard, the problem is when you get a drive with the "G" at the end of the model number, because the drive and the computer conflict because both have the sudden motion sensor. You only want one on.

I'd say that Seagate was well-intentioned with their drop-sensor system, it simply conflicted with Apple's sudden motion sensor.

Same here!
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

SEAgate makes the only 7200 rpm drives .

SAMSUNG rocks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I'm sure Western Digital and Hitachi will disagree with you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

That's funny because my 7200 drive is Hitachi.

Partial credits all around.

Seagate seems to be the only one with a 500GB 7200RPM drive. Smaller than that, and the playing field gets much bigger.

The current Seagate 500/7200 (ST9500420AS) at Newegg has not been implicated with this problem. As I already said, ST9500420ASG would be the problem model.

If you're still nervous but still want the speed, there are at least four brands offering 320/7200 drives. If money isn't an issue, SuperTalent has a 512GB SSD for about the price of the entry 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaazBri View Post

You forget the best video of all, the promo for the new MacBeep Pause!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZy-qe5xphQ

Joking aside, that's exactly what the experience is like using one of these machines. The noise is just like that, and the system locks up for a second, often five or six times a minute. Then there are the occasional 30-45 second complete system hangs.

I've been suffering from this problem on my new MBP 17" since the day I got it in June. Unfortunately, I opted for the 7200RPM 500GB drive which is the source of the problem.

Apple has constantly changed their story with me, both in person at the Genius Bar and on AppleCare phone support. First, they saw and recognized the problem. Then it wasn't a problem. Then they would replace the drive. Then they wouldn't. Now their line for the last few weeks with me was that they won't replace the drive because a replacement would have the same issue, so I should just wait for a fix. They still won't release any official word on it.

My husband got so fed up hearing the beep while sitting next to me that he bought and installed a replacement drive while we wait. This is what it's sunk to.

Here is what I find the most infuriating, though. When you consider that:
    a) Apple is claiming that they can't replace our drives because the problem is pervasive

PLUS

b) Apple is still selling this drive as an upgrade option through the Apple Store web site

EQUALS

Apple is knowingly selling top-end laptops to their customers with a crippling performance problem!
    Seriously, my long time respect for this company and its quality has evaporated over this.

LOL! Nice video!
  • Reply 32 of 63
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I'm personally wary of commercial 2.5" external drives in general. I've had problems with WDs not working anymore, but that was an enclosure problem. Put the drive in a new enclosure and it works fine.

AGAIN as i said before and got flamed for it

its a tiny problem, I mean really ittsy bitsy tiny.

B
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:

AGAIN as i said before and got flamed for it

it's a tiny problem, I mean really ittsy bitsy tiny.

But any one like me insane enough to buy a 15 " 3.02 GHz 7200 500g drive to play games has the WILL to make the anti glossy cry babies seem like quiet luddites eating toast . Because we will read every post in ten forums including apple disc, ones. We will make report after report by email to apple. We will call and visit apple stores and help centers and complain in a steady rain kind of way

No crying no over the top glossy whining .

IF ANY ONE READING THIS please complain if you have this issue.

Because we know apple will fix it . WE are A TINY issue but apple will make a firmware fix and seagate will make an off switch for the g series.THis issue first happened in 08 and now again 09,.

Let me say that COD4 screams on my MBP 15 7200 500G

And I DL the INTERNATIONAL movie FROM ITUNES RENTAL and the play back and sound was the finest quality i have ever seen on a mac . IT beats most tv's

THANKS TO GLASS GLOSSY screens
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I'm sure Western Digital and Hitachi will disagree with you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

That's funny because my 7200 drive is Hitachi.

Quote:

Partial credits all around.

Seagate seems to be the only one with a 500GB 7200RPM drive. Smaller than that, and the playing field gets much bigger.

The current Seagate 500/7200 (ST9500420AS) at Newegg has not been implicated with this problem. As I already said, ST9500420ASG would be the problem model.

i was right

the 500g model 7200 is seagate only

>>>>>>>

Jeff how can i tell if my seagate is the bad one ??
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

i was right

the 500g model 7200 is seagate only

>>>>>>>

Jeff how can i tell if my seagate is the bad one ??

Click Apple logo in upper left of screen, click "About This Mac", click "More Info...", click "Serial-ATA". If the first drive has a "G" at the end of the model number, then that's probably your problem. The Seagate model number will have "ST" at the front, and "AS" or "ASG" at the end, with several numbers in between.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

Click Apple logo in upper left of screen, click "About This Mac", click "More Info...", click "Serial-ATA". If the first drive has a "G" at the end of the model number, then that's probably your problem. The Seagate model number will have "ST" at the front, and "AS" or "ASG" at the end, with several numbers in between.

I looked but will re-look .

Thanks
  • Reply 37 of 63
    I come from a parallel universe where many have learned to apply the script known as

HDAPM to fix our clicking HDD's

http://dougitdesign.com/blogs/blog_1...ise-hdapm.html
  • Reply 38 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougit View Post

I come from a parallel universe where many have learned to apply the script known as

HDAPM to fix our clicking HDD's

http://dougitdesign.com/blogs/blog_1...ise-hdapm.html

It isn't by any chance Dementia 5, is it?

• Reply 39 of 63
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgginc View Post

Why are so many owners with this issue so upset? Apple has stated this is normal behavior designed to protect your investment. You should be happy they have your investment covered. Would you rather have your laptop go belly up? If it is irritating and limits its usefulness, at least you know its going to survive and last a long time.

Because such protection should be transparent. Clicking/beeping/freezing isn't.

Cheapo HP 6730b has so-called 3D Guard that does the same - parking HDD's heads when sudden movement is detected - but the only way to see that is to actually jerk notebook really quickly; if there was HDD activity at the time, you'll notice short "freeze" without any annoying audio alerts... but when using notebook on the desk/lap system doesn't interfere at all.

Lenovo and other brands have comparable solutions, and I am not aware any of them has such severe showing like MacBook.

If HP (and others) could do it on sub $1000 units, one would expect Apple can at least repeat same performance on premium product..?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Because such protection should be transparent. Clicking/beeping/freezing isn't.

Cheapo HP 6730b has so-called 3D Guard that does the same - parking HDD's heads when sudden movement is detected - but the only way to see that is to actually jerk notebook really quickly; if there was HDD activity at the time, you'll notice short "freeze" without any annoying audio alerts... but when using notebook on the desk/lap system doesn't interfere at all.

Lenovo and other brands have comparable solutions, and I am not aware any of them has such severe showing like MacBook.

If HP (and others) could do it on sub $1000 units, one would expect Apple can at least repeat same performance on premium product..?

You're right, it should be transparent, but it usually is. Apple has had their sudden motion sensor system standard in their notebooks for four years without problems until now. So far as we can tell, this only happens with one model of hard drive. As far as I can tell, it's actually a pretty simple fix and probably doesn't require a service call.