how to take apart macbook pro to clean wine spill

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hello -

i spilled what i think is a small amount of wine into the upper keyboard area/ screen of my 15 inch, macbook pro purchased earlier this year.

unplugged the power, turned it upside down to drain, removed battery and removed the back cover . no wine touched the battery but there was a drop of wine on the inside back cover.

i dried whatever had minor wine on it off but now after reading online suggestions am considering taking apart the whole computer to assess how much wine is under the keyboard and possibly clean it with q-tips and alcohol or rinsing with distilled water, depending on how much wine is visible.

i'm intimidated about taking apart the computer further than i have, as described on the apple site for accessing the memory.

right now the computer is laying upside down, keyboard facing a towel on the table.

should i attempt to turn it on after 'drying out' for 48 hours & then attempt to disassemble and clean myself?

or should i leave this job to an applestore genius bar?

my laptop is still under apple care but i'm worried they won't fix it since i'm responsible for the damage.

any suggestions? thanks so much,

pearl

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prlbearx View Post

hello -

i spilled what i think is a small amount of wine into the upper keyboard area/ screen of my 15 inch, macbook pro purchased earlier this year.

unplugged the power, turned it upside down to drain, removed battery and removed the back cover . no wine touched the battery but there was a drop of wine on the inside back cover.

i dried whatever had minor wine on it off but now after reading online suggestions am considering taking apart the whole computer to assess how much wine is under the keyboard and possibly clean it with q-tips and alcohol or rinsing with distilled water, depending on how much wine is visible.

i'm intimidated about taking apart the computer further than i have, as described on the apple site for accessing the memory.

right now the computer is laying upside down, keyboard facing a towel on the table.

should i attempt to turn it on after 'drying out' for 48 hours & then attempt to disassemble and clean myself?

or should i leave this job to an applestore genius bar?

my laptop is still under apple care but i'm worried they won't fix it since i'm responsible for the damage.

any suggestions? thanks so much,

pearl

They might fix it. Try searching for repairing your Mac using this site. Hopefully I've helped.

Link: www.ifixit.com