Upgrading from OS X 10.0.4 to 10.1

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay... this may seem like an irrelevant question to all you tek afficionados, but I have my reasons.

I need to use DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut, which I use regularly at school. However, I'm on an older machine here for the holidays (Quicksilver), so I need to get to at least OS 10.1. I have copies of Jaguar at school with my MDD and really old G4, and I have the final cut and dsp cd's, but completely forgot to bring the system disc's home. I've looked around on the net and Apple's site, and everything points to needing to buy a copy of Jaguar in order to upgrade. I give Apple a lot of money, so I think its absurd to need to pay more when its software I've already paid for on at least 2 occasions.

Does anyone have a simple 10.0.x to 10.1 update file? Is there a place on Apple's site to find this? Yes, eventually I want to bring this computer up to Jaguar, but I'd rather do it legally when I bring my cd's home rather than just download it off KDX or something, so for now 10.1 will suffice. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    The free update to 10.1 was a limited time offer. It required a whole CD and was not downloadable. Apple did start charging for it after a period of time once the supply of update CDs was exhausted (I can't remember how long, though).

If you search around long enough you might be able to find a copy without pirating it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

By the way, if legality is on your mind, you should note that the license agreement permits one installation of Mac OS X per license. Thus, it's technically breaking the rules to install Jaguar on multiple computers from the same license. Sure, most people do that anyway, but I thought it would be worth pointing out since you mentioned it.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>