Web site lists TomTom iPhone mount for £99.00 ($168.50)

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That's the funny thing about theives; the proficient ones know exactly what... to steal. At that price (and we're still waiting for some confirmation) IMO it'd be too much temptation to leave that mount suctioncupped to your windshield.

I partially agree, that is why I put maybe... in that case, at worse - spend the 10-20 seconds to hide it on the car floor or back seat. As you said, based on eventual price of it all. All I know is I'm going to buy it, happily.
  • Reply 102 of 114
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I partially agree, that is why I put maybe... in that case, at worse - spend the 10-20 seconds to hide it on the car floor or back seat. As you said, based on eventual price of it all. All I know is I'm going to buy it, happily.

The problem with suction cups is that they often leave a telltale ring on the windshield.

It doesn't take long to check the usual hiding places and if it's not found...well it's YOUR window they busted to get in, not theirs.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The Car Kit is Optional

You don't need it. Peter-Fran Pauwels says so, i.e., "o p t i o n a l" in the WWDC video.

"The TomTom solution combines two new TomTom products to provide users with state of the art in-car navigation on their iPhone 3G:"

But the app is still expensive..
  • Reply 104 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Wow, you never met me and yet you think you know how I ride? I guess the Internet really does know all!

HAHA Watch out for forum spies..
  • Reply 105 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The problem with suction cups is that they often leave a telltale ring on the windshield.

It doesn't take long to check the usual hiding places and if it's not found...well it's YOUR window they busted to get in, not theirs.

+1. THAT, is not nice. It left a mark on my car's windscreen that day.
  • Reply 106 of 114
    Quote:

So, now thieves know what kind of device you're using by the suction cup ring left on the windshield? How do they know a TomTom mount ring from a iPod, Garlin, Navigon, Police Radar, writing notepad, or any other mount one may put in their car... no one breaks into cars for those - at least not enough that anyone talks about it. So, why would they break in thinking it's for the a TomTom enabled iPhone? If the mount is hidden, it's hidden and no one is going around with a scan of the iPhone windshield mount ring in their pocket and doing a visual scan. Plus you don't have to even put it on your windshield, you can put it on your dashboard. Are they going around checking dashboard rings also? I think people are over thinking this and just trying to come up with reasons to be negative, complain and panic.

Matters not to me, I'm buying.
  • Reply 107 of 114
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Actually it makes no difference how you "ride" at all. You could be the best driver on Earth.

The fact that you get on a motorcycle, at all, and drive it on public roads, at all, destroys your credibility when criticizing any road safety issues.

There is no such thing as motorcycle safety. It's a total oxymoron.

Wow, I guess that settles it then.

So in your world, do pilots have no credibility because they are actually above the roads? How about road construction crews? They do some pretty risky things standing out on the roads when they work. I guess if a motorcycle cop pulls you over you can tell him to get lost, he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Sounds stupid? Well so does your argument of me not being able to criticize auto drivers because I'm on a bike. Can I criticize when I'm in my car? Is that okay for you?

Makes me wonder why you don't like motorcyclists.... Did your mommy not let you get one, so now you hate them?
  • Reply 108 of 114
    Quote:

So, now thieves know what kind of device you're using by the suction cup ring left on the windshield? How do they know a TomTom mount ring from a iPod, Garlin, Navigon, Police Radar, writing notepad, or any other mount one may put in their car... no one breaks into cars for those - at least not enough that anyone talks about it. So, why would they break in thinking it's for the a TomTom enabled iPhone? If the mount is hidden, it's hidden and no one is going around with a scan of the iPhone windshield mount ring in their pocket and doing a visual scan. Plus you don't have to even put it on your windshield, you can put it on your dashboard. Are they going around checking dashboard rings also? I think people are over thinking this and just trying to come up with reasons to be negative, complain and panic.

LOL. Go ahead with your buy then. I will not be buying one. One man's meat is another man's poison IMO.
  • Reply 109 of 114
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

But the app is still expensive..

I hear you.

Rumor has it that at 99¢ they are going to sell it for, many here still wouldn't buy it.
  • Reply 110 of 114
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

So, now thieves know what kind of device you're using by the suction cup ring left on the windshield? How do they know a TomTom mount ring from a iPod, Garlin, Navigon, Police Radar, writing notepad, or any other mount one may put in their car...

That's my point. If one mount is costs $170 and all the others are $25, the discerning thief will know which is which. As asinine as it may sound, it's their "job" to know.

The broader point is that a number of windows get smashed with any mount in the car (or even with a tale tell suctioncup ring), on the guess that a GPS unit was stuffed under the seat or thrown in the glove box; the same way that removable faceplates for car stereos were hidden in the same places (again, based on prior experiences).

Still, I don't blame anyone for wanting one. I've just learned a thing or two about replacing car windows. \
  • Reply 111 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I hear you.

Rumor has it that at 99¢ they are going to sell it for, many here still wouldn't buy it.

Same here. I would get it only if this is free. I hardly use maps as a student apart from Geography classes.
  • Reply 112 of 114
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Given that a number of smash and grabs happened in local parking lots and the police specifically mentioned suction cup rings then yeah, I think they went ahead and spent a few seconds to break into cars with nothing more than a ring as an indicator that a GPS MIGHT be inside.

Doesn't cost them anything but a bit of time. The really assholish ones slash the seats when they don't find anything of value to boot.

So I use a sandbag mount. It's easier to toss into the glove compartment anyway and set back up than a suction system anyway. The downside is it might become a missile in a crash...a suction cup might hang on a bit better.

"GPS units are targets of opportunity and without knowing it, you may be leaving clues that your GPS is there inside your car. The mark from the suction cup mount is a dead giveaway. The suction cup often leaves a ring on the windshield that?s a beacon to thieves. Cleaning the mark with a moist towelette can leave a larger ring that is just as much a beacon."

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...per=68&cat=104

"Car break ins are usually not random. Thieves are looking for valuables and will break into those cars that they think have valuables in them. Don't leave an empty GPS mount on the dash or windshield. Even the rings that the suction cup from some GPS mounts leave tell thieves that you have a GPS unit. "

http://www.wellesleypolice.com/index...0570&pid=10237

"It gets worse: Taking the plastic cradle off the windshield might not be enough if the suction cup leaves a ring of film on the glass. That alone can signal a thief."

http://www.eagletribune.com/pubiz/lo...287012921.html

I guess you were wrong and a jerk about it to boot. Nice.
  • Reply 113 of 114
    Quote:

Given that a number of smash and grabs happened in local parking lots and the police specifically mentioned suction cup rings then yeah, I think they went ahead and spent a few seconds to break into cars with nothing more than a ring as an indicator that a GPS MIGHT be inside.

Doesn't cost them anything but a bit of time. The really assholish ones slash the seats when they don't find anything of value to boot.

So I use a sandbag mount. It's easier to toss into the glove compartment anyway and set back up than a suction system anyway. The downside is it might become a missile in a crash...a suction cup might hang on a bit better.

"GPS units are targets of opportunity and without knowing it, you may be leaving clues that your GPS is there inside your car. The mark from the suction cup mount is a dead giveaway. The suction cup often leaves a ring on the windshield that?s a beacon to thieves. Cleaning the mark with a moist towelette can leave a larger ring that is just as much a beacon."

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...per=68&cat=104

"Car break ins are usually not random. Thieves are looking for valuables and will break into those cars that they think have valuables in them. Don't leave an empty GPS mount on the dash or windshield. Even the rings that the suction cup from some GPS mounts leave tell thieves that you have a GPS unit. "

http://www.wellesleypolice.com/index...0570&pid=10237

"It gets worse: Taking the plastic cradle off the windshield might not be enough if the suction cup leaves a ring of film on the glass. That alone can signal a thief."

http://www.eagletribune.com/pubiz/lo...287012921.html

I guess you were wrong and a jerk about it to boot. Nice.

+1. Leave your iPhone in the cradle as a GPS at a carpark and see your windscreen smashed in no time.
  • Reply 114 of 114
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow that price would be too damn high. It shouldn't be more than $99, other wise it's not an impulse buy. maybe I won't wait and just update the maps on my garmin unit. If it's $99 I want to be able to answer calls with a bluetooth handset and get back into the app with minimal effort while driving, I don't want to the whole car to hear my calls all the time. If they play their cards right on this, this could be a no-brainer accessory for a lot of iphone owners.