how exactly does time capsule work?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
sorry but im kinda new new to the whole Apple scene so pardon my question if it seems silly, Okay so if i buy Apples Time Capsule, can I access the files on it via the internet even if im not home..For example lets say i have a few hundred songs on my time capsule device and im on the road and want to access those songs via itunes on my macbook, can I if i have time capsule connected to the net as well as my laptop. im looking to buy time capsule because i dont want to flood my laptops harddrive w/music and pictures. can someone explain to me how the whole thing works?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes, you can do that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Access your drive over the Internet.

Say you?re traveling and you need a file on your Time Capsule back at home. If you?re a MobileMe member using a Mac with Mac OS X Leopard, no problem.* You can now access all the files on your Time Capsule drive over the Internet. Simply register your Time Capsule with your MobileMe account, and its drive appears in the Finder sidebar of your Mac just like any other attached drive. It?s like having your own personal file server wherever you go.

It uses MobileMe so you'll have to subscribe
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Is the data transfer speed as slow as iDisk (the speed of ice cubes melting) or faster than MobleMe iDisk?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

Is the data transfer speed as slow as iDisk (the speed of ice cubes melting) or faster than MobleMe iDisk?

Its as fast as the slowest network segment between you and the Time Capsule
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sswiftsswift Posts: 13member
    my question is can you schedule the time that time capsule backs up your data?

Does it do it automatically? If so is it a set time that the user can pre determine?

My concern is if I was engaging in some processor intensive activity (online game) that all of the sudden having time capsule search my hard drive would lag me out, or in some way impair my functionality.

Thanks in advance!