Buy now or wait for snow leopard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am about to be going off to college and i currently have an ibookg4 running leopard, I can tell it's on it's last legs. I definitely need a new computer for college. If i buy a new mbp before september 8th i can get a free ipod with my purchase. If i wait until after sept 8th my mbp will come with sl already loaded on it. Is there a benefit to waiting for the computer to come loaded with sl versus upgrading from leopard? Does anyone think that apple will release any slightly newer mbp's with the release of sl? when exactly do we think sl will even be released? sorry about so many questions, im just curious.

JM

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Apple typically uses the Education buying season to clear out old inventory. Right before the Holiday shopping season is when they release new stuff.



    If it were me, I'd wait, you might see Bluray and USB 3.0 on the new laptops
  • Reply 2 of 15
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post


    Apple typically uses the Education buying season to clear out old inventory. Right before the Holiday shopping season is when they release new stuff.



    If it were me, I'd wait, you might see Bluray and USB 3.0 on the new laptops



    Buy now since both USB 3 and bluray are marginal improvements and you will probably not see them in the next model anyways.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    Buy now since both USB 3 and bluray are marginal improvements and you will probably not see them in the next model anyways.



    Your issue is not critical, I'd hold off until new laptops are introduced later this year or early next. for sure SL will be better supported on the new machines, ideally by an improved GPU, but that really has nothing to do with my position.



    The thing is this, you have a laptop and as long as it runs somewhat it will allow you to get your feet wet at school. I'm getting the impression this is your first year, so what I'm trying to say is this. Get yourself started in school and through the first month or two to see what your budget is like and what hidden expenses prop up. Take it from me going through school poor is no fun, deal with the expense when you know it is manageable.



    What you do need though is a technical plan for your school computing needs that you can start to address right now. Part of that involves backups which you need to implement in a sound way. One of the big problems with laptops is that they are fragile, unreliable and easy to disappear. This is the case with new or old hardware, and the best combat for that is good back ups, both locally stored and on the campus network. Frankly being secure in your data / school work is more important than the state of the laptop as they all can break down new or not. So make sure you have compatible backup disks or USB keys.



    Now if all of that does not deter you then look seriously at the new MBPs as they seem like the ideal machines for students. Long battery life being one element here. Sure a bit expensive but a high quality machine. The big problem is that I'm reluctant to say buy one because of the potential of bumped models coming out that would benefit SL positively. Because of where things are with Intel I suspect that any bump would be primarily one of a GPU speed up. Especially on the base models.



    Now I wouldn't expect these bumps before November so you need to factor that in. That would be about six months form the last bump which is about right.





    Dave
  • Reply 4 of 15
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    This is the most FA of all FAQs, and IMO the answer is always the same:



    If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post


    This is the most FA of all FAQs, and IMO the answer is always the same:



    If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait.



    And Snow Leopard upgrade is $29. I don't think it will break the bank even for a student.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    MacBook Pros were updated just 2 months ago. Aside from Snow Leopard repackaging, I strongly doubt it would get any update in September.



    As for Snow Leopard, Macs purchased on or after June 8 are eligible for $9.95 (plus applicable sales tax) Up-to-Date Program. You will have to reinstall the OS, which is annoying (especially if you believe in clean install like I do), but getting a Mac now entitles you to $229 iPod touch purchase credit (which I would sell ASAP since new model is due in September).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeanmichel View Post


    I am about to be going off to college and i currently have an ibookg4 running leopard, I can tell it's on it's last legs. I definitely need a new computer for college. If i buy a new mbp before september 8th i can get a free ipod with my purchase. If i wait until after sept 8th my mbp will come with sl already loaded on it. Is there a benefit to waiting for the computer to come loaded with sl versus upgrading from leopard? Does anyone think that apple will release any slightly newer mbp's with the release of sl? when exactly do we think sl will even be released? sorry about so many questions, im just curious.

    JM



    Wait for SL.



    Edit; it's here already.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post


    Apple typically uses the Education buying season to clear out old inventory. Right before the Holiday shopping season is when they release new stuff.



    If it were me, I'd wait, you might see Bluray and USB 3.0 on the new laptops



    They just updated their laptop line-up two months ago. I doubt they will update it again in merely three-month's time. What they are likely to update is their desktop I think. It only costs you 10 bucks to upgrade to SL if you get it now so why bother waiting if you're certain that it's MBP that you want.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post


    They just updated their laptop line-up two months ago. I doubt they will update it again in merely three-month's time. What they are likely to update is their desktop I think. It only costs you 10 bucks to upgrade to SL if you get it now so why bother waiting if you're certain that it's MBP that you want.



    I guarantee they will release updated notebooks by years end. Intel is poised to release Calpella by years end and Apple is always the first to sport new chips (because they can afford to pay the premium price for them).



    And on another note, it will buy him time and maybe he'll get a peak at the Tablet that some say may be released in November
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post


    Wait for SL.



    Edit; it's here already.



    Are you sure about that? I've seen nothing yet to indicate such. Besides I thought the had one significant security issue to fix.





    Dave
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post


    I guarantee they will release updated notebooks by years end. Intel is poised to release Calpella by years end and Apple is always the first to sport new chips (because they can afford to pay the premium price for them).



    And on another note, it will buy him time and maybe he'll get a peak at the Tablet that some say may be released in November



    Year's end is a totally different story from "in the next month or so". And from what I've read, Calpella may well not be in notebooks until MWSF/CES time (early January) anyhow.



    Buy now. You're out all of $10 on Snow Leopard, which honestly isn't something you really need anyhow. And it'll be easier to have your laptop with you when you go off to school than to switch laptops mid-year or mid-semester. Especially if your G4's already on its last legs and your battery life is in the toilet.



    And you get the credit towards an iPod. If you want a new iPod, that's a no-brainer. If you've got a buddy who wants an iPod, buy one, and sell it to him for $100 off, you'll pocket $129.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post


    Year's end is a totally different story from "in the next month or so". And from what I've read, Calpella may well not be in notebooks until MWSF/CES time (early January) anyhow.



    Buy now. You're out all of $10 on Snow Leopard, which honestly isn't something you really need anyhow. And it'll be easier to have your laptop with you when you go off to school than to switch laptops mid-year or mid-semester. Especially if your G4's already on its last legs and your battery life is in the toilet.



    And you get the credit towards an iPod. If you want a new iPod, that's a no-brainer. If you've got a buddy who wants an iPod, buy one, and sell it to him for $100 off, you'll pocket $129.



    "in the next month or so" indicated that his time frame for purchasing is flexible. I maintain the belief that if you do not need to buy right now then you don't. Buy only when need is greater than want when it comes to computers
  • Reply 13 of 15
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post


    MacBook Pros were updated just 2 months ago. Aside from Snow Leopard repackaging, I strongly doubt it would get any update in September.



    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07...field_roadmap/



    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090702PD206.html



    Whenever they appear (October or later) it's worth the wait for a mobile iCore7 (if they call it that...anyway mobile Nehalem) if you aren't going to get the free iPod Touch now.



    If your laptop can limp on until the new year I'd wait. Buying now is dumb if you don't really NEED a new machine.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post


    Wait for SL.



    Edit; it's here already.



    I posted the following on another thread after talking to an Apple sales rep:



    A fellow professor asked me to set up (by phone) a configured purchase of a Mini. She wanted to buy it just before September 8, so she could get a free iPod Touch. No joy. The Mini doesn't qualify even configured at a higher price than the white laptop which does qualify for the free Touch. The rep said it wouldn't have SL installed either. However, the Apple rep told me that if my friend waited until after September 8, SL WOULD be installed, but not necessarily on September 9. The rep said that Apple would START installing SL on Macs on 9/9/09, but then only as quantities permitted. She wouldn't (OR couldn't) say when ALL Macs would have SL installed.



    I didn't think that made sense. OS's aren't like hardware that has to be stockpiled. It seems to me that they would have the SL OS or they wouldn't. I tried to pin her down as to what that meant. No luck.

    Can anyone explain why Apple wouldn't install the OS on all Macs at the same time.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Interesting stuff, sequitur! OSes need to be upgraded on existing Leopard inventory, I guess.



    I agree with all the posters here. This is a question that comes up quite frequently and the only "general" answer is that if you can wait, wait. If you need it now (before school year starts), get it.



    The fact that you can get a free printer and a free iPod Touch 8GB during the summer makes this an even more interesting question. You can save yourself some money and sell both of those on eBay/to a friend and get about $150 knocked off the total purchase price. Or you can wait until mobile Nehalem and only get the printer (and sell that), which would leave you with superior hardware, Snow Leopard, but less cash in the pocket after all is said and done.



    In the end, the choice is yours. Can your iBook hold out for October-November-December-January time frame, assuming that's when Apple will update to the mobile Nehalem processor?



    Personally, I was in the same situation as you were a few months ago. My iBook's mother board went and we just launched our tech podcast (TechNestReport.com). I needed a machine really bad, so I went out and bought the MacBook unibody 13" (before it was Pro). Then Apple released the 13" Pro with FireWire. I need that for our show. So I eBayed the MacBook - which I kept in immaculate condition - and bought the 13" Pro with the Touch + printer student promo - which I sold on eBay. I ended up breaking even on the whole thing. You can think about doing the same - only next summer



    - Alex
Sign In or Register to comment.