Hackintosh forum?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need an editing rig that can run the latest FCS and LS, but I Apple hardware doesn't seem an option for me personally: the iMac has laptop components and I hate being forced to use that screen, and the Mac Pro is too expensive. I would love a mid-level tower from Apple, but they don't make one. I'd like to spend about $1000. That only leaves a hackintosh. However, I'm not super technically savvy, and in any case, I'd love to see a hackintosh forum here on AI... I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Q: how come there is no forum on AI exclusively dedicated to OSX86? Is it against the policy here? Is there insufficient interest? If it's against policy, no problem, I'll drop the subject.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

I'd like to spend about $1000. That only leaves a hackintosh. However, I'm not super technically savvy

Maybe look into the EFI-X chip:

http://gizmodo.com/5049756/review-ef...orms-pc-to-mac

You should use compatible parts too:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=161513

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

and in any case, I'd love to see a hackintosh forum here on AI... I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Q: how come there is no forum on AI exclusively dedicated to OSX86? Is it against the policy here? Is there insufficient interest? If it's against policy, no problem, I'll drop the subject.

I don't think it's against policy as iphone jailbreaking apparently isn't and both are EULA violations. There's no need to have a forum though because a lot of people are happy using Macs as they are. Even the Mac Mini will run FCS3 adequately as well as Logic.

If you put in 4GB Ram and a 7200 rpm drive or SSD, only the mobile CPU holds it back but it's not all that bad and you get to use whatever display you want as well as dual displays. Plus it takes up a lot less space than a hackintosh.

I'm one of the many who would like Apple to build a Core i7 machine though - even the 920 quad as it could pave the way to a $1500 desktop. Apple would be hard pressed to reach $1000 with decent performance and profit margin. A Core i7 $1500 Mac would have the same margins as the Mac Pro - the price drop is only due to using cheaper processors, which perform at about 80-90% of what a Mac Pro does.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thank you very much for the suggestions. I still think that if the process were easy, there'd be a heck of a lot more hackintoshes. The demand is there. What's missing is an easy process. A special forum dedicated to building hackintoshes would be very popular, I'm sure of it. I hope the mods think about this - it really would be so wonderful. Can we please have a hackintosh forum here? The AI boards have some of the smartest computer geeks out there - it would be a smashing success!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well, FineWine, I'd say make this thread burst at the seams to prove the popularity of the subject. And you would have proven your point.

I'm not the soldering tinker type geek. I'm a user, not a builder/mechanic. I'm happy with the Apple concept of offering a range of preconfigured models. Not that it's perfect, there are always wish lists of course. But on the whole I'm happy to buy just one box with a fully functional machine in it that you just need to plug into the mains, and it works! I don't fancy screwing around, literally, with a D-I-Y building kit. And it's not the Mac spirit either.

Mac users do magic with software, not with hardware. That's a pretty adequately powered given.
  • Reply 4 of 5
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Well, FineWine, I'd say make this thread burst at the seams to prove the popularity of the subject. And you would have proven your point.

I'm not the soldering tinker type geek. I'm a user, not a builder/mechanic. I'm happy with the Apple concept of offering a range of preconfigured models. Not that it's perfect, there are always wish lists of course. But on the whole I'm happy to buy just one box with a fully functional machine in it that you just need to plug into the mains, and it works! I don't fancy screwing around, literally, with a D-I-Y building kit. And it's not the Mac spirit either.

Mac users do magic with software, not with hardware. That's a pretty adequately powered given.

..word.