Apple again offers matte screen option for 15-inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Confirming an AppleInsider exclusive tip from less than a month ago, Apple has restored the antiglare upgrade option -- at a cost of $50 -- for its 15-inch MacBook Pro line.

The change is a quiet concession by Apple that the glass-enclosed glossy screens adopted by the Mac-maker may not be for every one. Roughly two years ago, the company began transitioning its entire Mac product line away from matte displays to the highly-reflective option that was the only offering on the 15-inch MacBook Pro lineup.

Previously, only the 17-inch MacBook Pro offered the $50 antiglare option. Tuesday's change brings the features to the 15-inch line, but the 13-inch Pro model remains glossy-only.

In July, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple would extend its antiglare option to more Macs.

The transition towards glossy displays appears to have been sparked by the original iPhone, whose glass touchscreen and black border resonated well with customers. The reception was favorable enough that Apple, in a bid to push the envelope and standardize materials across its product families, gave similar treatment to its iMac line a few months later.

Further emboldened, Apple announced in October its new line of unibody notebooks would also forgo matte displays for glossy ones, with the exception of a $50 antiglare option on the pricey 17-inch MacBook Pro. These new displays "provide crisp images and vivid colors which are ideal for viewing photos and movies," Apple said, "and the edge-to-edge cover glass creates a smooth, seamless surface."

Not everyone was thrilled with the move, especially those members of Apple's core professional video and image editing communities, who argued that the glossy displays tend to complicate color matching. Others are indifferent to this effect, but just can't stomach the glare given off by the glossy screens. Some are road warriors who take their notebooks on different assignments each day, and sometimes find themselves at sunny sporting events, unable to escape the reflective properties of the screens.

Whatever the case, Apple appreciates the concern, as it did with the outrage over the brief absence of FireWire on its 13-inch notebook offerings. The Mac maker has been following the numerous petitions and online threads dedicated to the display matter and hears their customers' collective voice, those familiar with the matter told AppleInsider at the time.

A glossy unibody MacBook Pro side-by-side with a previous-gen matte MacBook Pro | Source: Flickr user Loustechworld

Comments

• Reply 1 of 152
    Nice, but FIFTY DOLLARS! It used to be free!
  • Reply 2 of 152
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Well, I know you have to pay more, but it is understandable, it's an option and not part of their standard system spec, they are not buying the matte screens in bulk anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 152
    Wonder if they'll ever do a 1680x1050 resolution 15" MBP. I find 1440x900 quite restrictive but the 17" MBP is too large for my purposes (but the 1920x1200 resolution is fantastic).
  • Reply 4 of 152
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Figures. Bought it too soon...

Anyone wanna swap? ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 152
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Hallelujah
  • Reply 6 of 152
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    We need matte for all Macs and Displays at our University. Glossy is a deal breaker! Apple, Health is FIRST (read eyes and brain)!
  • Reply 7 of 152
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    I love the glossy, but I'm colorblind and the glossy makes the colors pop a bit more which is useful. IF you use your computer outside, glossy is the only way to go as well.

Sheldon
  • Reply 8 of 152
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well would ya look at that.
  • Reply 9 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

Figures. Bought it too soon...

Anyone wanna swap? ;-)

Hehe . . . my Feb 2008 15-inch MBP for your October 2008 (or later) 15-inch MBP? Done.

(As long as it doesn't have Seagate HD.)
  • Reply 10 of 152
    Wait, the IPHONE brought about the trend towards glossy screens??
  • Reply 11 of 152
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I love the glossy, but I'm colorblind and the glossy makes the colors pop a bit more which is useful. IF you use your computer outside, glossy is the only way to go as well.

Sheldon

Be Forewarned.

Agree absolutely. The new backlit LCDs on the MacBooks with a glossy screen are significantly superior vs a matte screen outside (especially sporting events), or in an equally, brightly diffussed indoor room, as well as in a darkened interior.

Try it before you buy it.
  • Reply 12 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simonsharks View Post

This just proves the rule: don't by first generation!

Apple seams to be constantly adding in features to future generations that should have been the first.

This is true for a lot of tech.
  • Reply 13 of 152
    Quote:

Apple seams to be constantly adding in features to future generations that should have been the first.

It was at the first generation, and second (at least) of Macbook Pros.

In fact, matte/glossy was a free choice when I bought mine (Oct 2006, the first C2D line). About f-ing time it's back; I'm never buying a glossy screen.
  • Reply 14 of 152
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Whether one loves glossy or matte, we all must admit this is a victory for "choice." And it really costs Apple nothing, as they are getting $50 a pop for matte. May they do the same for the iMacs.

This also illustrates very clearly that "being vocal" has merit, even in spite of the many flames matte proponents have had to endure in forums such as this one while calling for choice.

May now the voices of reason begin to cry out over the insanity of Apple's MACK-truck-flattened abominations they call "keyboards." Bring back tactile feedback and keys that sink down more than 3mm when you tap on them. Apple, stop trying to bring us back to 1984 with a standard keyboard that has the numeric keypad hacked off (yes, I am aware you can get the keypad for free as an optional choice, but only via Apple's store). Apple used to make excellent keyboards. They now are trying to get us all into the iPhone groove. Indeed, I have little doubt that Jobs and Ive both want a 100% non-mechanical keyboard in the future, with recent keyboards from Apple acting as mere stepping-stones to a truly horrific tomorrow. (And yes, I am well aware of the availability of 3rd party keyboards. But some of us would rather not pay extra. And one must also admit that most of those 3rd party keyboards are for Windows users. It's all about What Apple Offers, not about what 3rd parties may bring us.)
  • Reply 15 of 152
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Hallelujah

There will be a lot of happy campers now! Now for the 13" matte version. I jumped in three weeks too early and got a glossy 13" MacBook with no SD Card slot! I have nothing to complain about even though my Mac was a historic relic within three weeks of purchase. Given an option I would have chosen the anti glare, however. My guess is that within a year there will be no extra charge. If there was no charge most people will choose the anti glare.
  • Reply 16 of 152
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

IF you use your computer outside, glossy is the only way to go as well.

Sheldon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Agree absolutely. The new backlit LCDs on the MacBooks with a glossy screen are significantly superior vs a matte screen outside (especially sporting events), or in an equally, brightly diffussed indoor room, as well as in a darkened interior.

Try it before you buy it.

Total bullshit. Check out the photos in this post. To me, the matte looks a hell of a lot more usable outside than does the glossy. If either of you would care to provide photographs to back up your claims, I'd like to see them.
  • Reply 17 of 152
    Couldn't you have used an unbiased picture? The one used in the story is of a Unibody MBP dimmed and a old MBP with full brightest on, not a equal comparison, TO SAY THE LEAST.
  • Reply 18 of 152
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I'm still shocked that Apple ever thought the high gloss look of the iPhone would scale well to laptops. A palm-top device can be easily repositioned or shaded with your hand if reflections are a problem. Not so easy with a full-size screen. They should have at least used the glossy screen version from the previous generation laptops. They were glossy, but not nearly as reflective as the current glossy screen. I wonder if there would have been less vocal protests if they had at least gone with that.
  • Reply 19 of 152
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Hehe . . . my Feb 2008 15-inch MBP for your October 2008 (or later) 15-inch MBP? Done.

(As long as it doesn't have Seagate HD.)

Quote:

Actually I own a June-2009 model. With 128GB SSD.

The glossy isn't bad, and I do like the colors, but it's annoying in that it reflects everything.
  • Reply 20 of 152
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    On a completely different note, the matt screen protector you can get for the iPhone makes it look a lot better and makes it easier to glide your finger (no sticky smudges). Matt FTW.