Well, we missed the bragging rights for this boat...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
<a href="http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/01/03/1324239.shtml?tid=121"; target="_blank">Article on Slashdot</a> that discusses a new approach to organizing files...

... more or less EXACTLY like some of us have been stating as the direction we see Apple going with metadata.

What really irks me? The quote "This is a testament to the power of free software: this sort of innovation could never happen if it weren't for the free software nature of the underlying systems." Criminy.

KDE only so far, they're looking for folks to port it to Gnome and OpenOffice.

Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]This is a testament to the power of free software: this sort of innovation could never happen if it weren't for the free software nature of the underlying systems.<hr></blockquote>

So far, others have been afraid to implement radical ideas out of fear that it's not commercially viable (I assume). Open source software might indeed be the only way to implement such interface innovations -- scary.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    All I can say is, it's about time.

The OS movement has irritated me for some years now by squandering its vaunted potential on shallow copies of other people's stuff. That's fine as far as it goes, but it doesn't go very far.

This kind of thing is welcome, and extremely important right now. OS supporters need to demonstrate, in concrete terms, that they are advancing the state of the art and innovating in order to counter MS propaganda and lobbying.

I'm also interested in the progress of GNU Radio.

As for Apple, I think we should get used to not having "we're first!" bragging rights all that often. It's less important to have done something first, and more important to have done it right. In fact, the way Apple goes I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a few engineers on the project: The bugbear of metadata is portability, and if Apple can sync their efforts up with others', that works in their favor. OS X should not be an island.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>As for Apple, I think we should get used to not having "we're first!" bragging rights all that often. It's less important to have done something first, and more important to have done it right. In fact, the way Apple goes I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a few engineers on the project: The bugbear of metadata is portability, and if Apple can sync their efforts up with others', that works in their favor. OS X should not be an island.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They did hire the BeFS guy and one of the people behind eazel (and the latest Gnome).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This is just a layer between the user and the HFS. Apple could implement this into the Finder if it turns out to be good.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    How exactly would this be any different that what the BeOS allowed you to do or what the Copland query folders were supposed to do?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I could easily see Jobs spinning any announcement, be it tablet or this as, "Gosh, they beat us to it. But we did it better." I like it when Apple pioneers this sort of stuff, but they shouldn't be so caught up in NIH -- Not Invented Here -- syndrome. And they're not as much these days, save maybe USB 2 vs Firewire, and even then we thought the same about their slow adoption of bluetooth being related to AirPort.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>This is just a layer between the user and the HFS. Apple could implement this into the Finder if it turns out to be good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the name finder might actually make sense if they implement this. not that i'm getting ahead of myself...