DVD to MPEG?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, I have a load of VIDEO_TS files on my comp, and its beginning to fill up my comp. Is there any utilities that can change those files to something like a DivX file or MPEG?

Thanks

Oliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Easy as pie.

First of all, re-rip your DVDs using <a href="http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~afaversa/test/0SEx-0.0110a1.sit"; target="_blank">OSEx</a>. Put the DVD in the drive, get rid of subtitles (You can't covert these) and all audio except "MP1" (not "AC3") in your language, and hit "begin".

This will convert the entire movie to a single file on your Hard Drive.

Then use <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/major4/.cv/major4/Public/ffmpegX_0.0.4k.dmg-link.dmg"; target="_blank">FFMPEG</a> to convert the resulting file to DivX. For best results, keep the resolution the same (use NTSC or PAL and crop the letterboxen), use MP3 audio at 192kbs, and OpenDivX video at the quality you want.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>Easy as pie.

First of all, re-rip your DVDs using <a href="http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~afaversa/test/0SEx-0.0110a1.sit"; target="_blank">OSEx</a>. Put the DVD in the drive, get rid of subtitles (You can't covert these) and all audio except "MP1" (not "AC3") in your language, and hit "begin".

This will convert the entire movie to a single file on your Hard Drive.

Then use <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/major4/.cv/major4/Public/ffmpegX_0.0.4k.dmg-link.dmg"; target="_blank">FFMPEG</a> to convert the resulting file to DivX. For best results, keep the resolution the same (use NTSC or PAL and crop the letterboxen), use MP3 audio at 192kbs, and OpenDivX video at the quality you want.

Barto</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks, but your post was a little too vague. There are a lot of settings in BOTH those apps. There isn't much documentation included, either. Can you expand on these steps a little, please? I would like to rip specific scenes from DVDs and save them as DVIX, MPEG or MOV files. I would alosl ike to rip entire DVDs as well.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Put a DVD in the drive. Close Apple DVD Player if it opens. Open OSEx.

"UNDEFINED" should be the same name as in the Finder of your DVD.

"Ti" stands for Title. Generally, the longest one will be the movie. "Ch" is chapters. Select the chapters you want to turn into files.

Under "Aud" for audio, only select the "MP1" audio track in your language. Unselect subtitles.

Keep "Fmt" for format in "Progressive streams", elementry streams makes things difficult and QuickTime doesn't work. "Seg" refers to how the resulting file is to be split up. Leaving it as a single file "Title" is easy enough.

Now hit "begin".

Once that's finished, you should end up with a "My DVD.VOB" file somewhere on your hard drive. Unfortunatly, you can't edit it in QuickTime, because Apple only provides MPEG2 playback and even that is $20. So you need to convert it first.

Double click the .VOB file to open it in QuickTime. You'll need the MPEG2 Playback Component. Press command-i for Movie Info.

Make a note of the "Normal Size", "Movie FPS" and "Duration".

This movie has been converted into 16:9 from 2.35:1. This has resulted in letterboxes of about 50 pixles top and bottom.

Open FFMpegX, and click on the "Audio" tab.

Set the Audio Bitrate to 192kbit/s for best quality.

Click on the "Video" tab.

Select "MPEG4" for "Video Codec". The Fifth Element was 720x404 (QuickTime's "Normal Resolution"), but there were letterboxes, suggesting a 2.35:1 resolution. Lo and behold, 2.35:1 is perfect (set using "Autosize").

How do you crop the letterboxes? Use "Crop TBLR", for Crop Top Bottom Left Right. 50 pixels for Top and Bottom. 404 - 50 - 50 = 304. This needs to be right, or you'll get a streched or squashed movie.

Now, I want the resulting file to be 700MBs. So, I select "121 min" - what QuickTime told me - keep in "1" CD of "80min mode-1". Mode-2 has more space, but doesn't have error correction, and is difficult to burn in Mac OS X. Hit "Calc rate", and you get what quality the video will be to fit on one 80 minute (meaning 700MB) CD.

For "Framerate", chose the "Movie FPS" setting in QuickTime. In my case, it's PAL (25).

Now, hit "encode", and wait for a few of hours to a day depending on the speed of your Mac.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 21
    If you want an MPEG file, swap "MPEG4" for "MPEG1" in the Video Codec menu in FFMpegX.

As far as editing goes, QuickTime with the official DivX? codec can edit DivX files and save the result in contained on dependent movies.

Contained means you can share the edits, dependent means the movie tells the system which clips are where in movie files on your hard drive, for a tiny file.

If you want to edit in iMovie, then forget about FFMpegX. Just open the first file you create in QuickTime, and "Export..." in the file menu to DV. In "Options" when you export, set to NTSC (North America and Japan) or PAL (Most other places), and the sample rates to 44.1khz, which I THINK is the NTSC sample rate, or 48khz, which is the PAL sample rate.

DV files are not compressed, and so are HUGE. In OSEx, it's probably best to import one chapter at a time, or importing the movie using "Chapter" in "Seg" or segments.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Damn fast pace of technology!

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/major4/.cv/major4/Public/ffmpegX_0.0.5.dmg-link.dmg"; target="_blank">FFMpegX 0.0.5</a> was just released, which allows you to skip using OSEx. Damnit! Here's a list of changes.

----------

* Added mencoder encoding engine. Though a little slower than ffmpeg, it fixes all sync problems on VOB-&gt;DivX NTSC and PAL and allows for direct DVD input. Only mp3 audio encoding is available (however by selecting "Passthrough" the original audio (.ac3 or .mp2) can be directly copied into the encoded file if needed). Encoding options works with the same values as ffmpeg encoder.

* In order for ffmpegX to comply with applicable laws and licenses, we don't distribute the mencoder component. You need to install yourself the mencoder binary into /usr/bin/ by using the following terminal commands (an installer will be included in next versions to simplify this one-time step):

- copy the mencoder binary available from <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerosx/"; target="_blank">http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerosx/</a>; into your desktop (the current latest binary is 0.9rc2b3 in the package mencoderrc3.sit - decompress it, ctrl-click the 'Mencoder for OSX' app icon, choose the open package option and look into Contents/Resources folder for the "mencoder" file).

-use the following commands in terminal mode (copy and paste them, line by line):

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mencoder /usr/bin/mencoder

sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mencoder

rehash

* "DivX" presets now use mencoder. ffmpeg DivX presets have been renamed "fast DivX".

* Mencoder DivX preset can directly read from DVD. No more need for the 0SEx step and lot of disk space. Simply type your DVD device name in the Open... field, ie. /dev/disk1 (or whatever your DVD device name is; to know which is your DVD device name, insert a DVD, then open Terminal, type mount and it will be listed amongst all disk devices available). Then you must type in terminal the command sudo umount /dev/disk1 (replace /dev/disk1 with the actual DVD device name as listed by 'mount' if it is not /dev/disk1). Sorry for this terminal step but it is right now needed. Type your admin password followed by return when asked (it doesn't appear on the screen, but it is actually entered). Then simply type /dev/disk1 or whatever your DVD device name is in the ffmpegX Open.. field and you will be able to launch direct encoding from DVD. If you have problems ejecting the DVD when encoding is done, you could try to open Toast and use the Eject command.

* Added DVD Title number field in the video tab. If encoding direct from DVD, it selects the title number (i.e. sometimes Title 1 is a trailer, title 2 the movie, etc).

* Added subtitles encoding for DivX preset. You need to specify the subtitle number 0..31 (note: the audio language is choosen as usual with the audio "Track" pulldown menu). The subs will be directly overlayed in the encoded image.

* mencoder image cropping values are in the form WHXY (cropped image width, height, and x,y position of the cropped image counted from the upper left corner of the source image). By running an "Encode 5 seconds test clip" the Terminal will automatically detect black borders and tell you which values you should enter for WHXY (the ffmpeg cropping values still follow the old TBLR top/bottom/left/right method, sorry for the GUI not telling this right now).

* Added "Encode 5 seconds test clip" for mencoder DivX encoding. Useful to check the title being encoded and the cropping values.

* Added audio gain setting in the audio tab (right now works only with mencoder engine). Allowed range is 0-10. Default is 0 (keep volume the same as the source with no gain applied).

* Added "QT Decode" option for VCD/SVCD/DVD encoding. It will force use of Quicktime to decode the input video, fixing almost all NTSC audio sync problems. It also decodes audio automatically. If the input file is mpeg-2 or VOB you also need to have installed the Quicktime mpeg-2 player component (available from Apple Store).

* When encoding .mov DV files to another format, the "single field" Quicktime flag is automatically set.

* You can now encode DV to VCD/SVCD/CVD/DVD by using the ffmpeg DV decoder instead of Quicktime, this leads to better image quality and correct colorspace. To do it, rename your movie with a ".dv" file extension instead of .mov (this was not working correctly in previous versions for audio decoding but has now been fixed). You should also disable "VOB Letterbox", "Denoise" and "Bicubic scaling". You can use "Deinterlace" if you like. For DV to DivX, the new mencoder DivX preset full supports it with same results.

* Added experimental support of .mov input for ffmpeg DivX and fast-mpeg1 encoding (video only, or need audio as separate file added in the "Add audio" tab).

* Various GUI improvements. There is now only one tab for all encoding options, which change dynamically depending on the video codec selected so as only the relevant options do appear for any given process.

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i like this thread, been looking how to do this for a while...how do u make a VCD from a movie you ripped like this?

where can you get the official dvix codec?

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I followed Barto's guide and successfully ripped a moive. Thanks so much, Barto. But I got a problem. When I play it with Quick Time, there is no sound, no audio track but works fine with VLC. Does anyone know how to get it work with QT?

Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Can't DL FFMpegX...seems the page it was on at mac.com is gone. Anywhere else to get it?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Connect to his iDisk directly, that should work.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>Connect to his iDisk directly, that should work.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How?

Barto: Any need to use ffmpegx 0.5 ?

Apart for not needing to use OSE what else is there. Unless there is some package I can get that can do the stuff above, I would prefer the nice GUI of the 2 apps.

Thanks

Dale MOx
  • Reply 11 of 21
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Use iDisk utility with the username major4.
  • Reply 12 of 21

<strong>

* Mencoder DivX preset can directly read from DVD. No more need for the 0SEx step and lot of disk space. Simply type your DVD device name in the Open... field, ie. /dev/disk1 (or whatever your DVD device name is; to know which is your DVD device name, insert a DVD, then open Terminal, type mount and it will be listed amongst all disk devices available). Then you must type in terminal the command sudo umount /dev/disk1 (replace /dev/disk1 with the actual DVD device name as listed by 'mount' if it is not /dev/disk1). Sorry for this terminal step but it is right now needed. Type your admin password followed by return when asked (it doesn't appear on the screen, but it is actually entered). Then simply type /dev/disk1 or whatever your DVD device name is in the ffmpegX Open.. field and you will be able to launch direct encoding from DVD. If you have problems ejecting the DVD when encoding is done, you could try to open Toast and use the Eject command.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wouldn't disk Utility do the trick?

Dale Mox
  • Reply 13 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>Use iDisk utility with the username major4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eeeer, where is that?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    actually, dvd ripping on the mac has just gotten much easier ;-)

here's a quickrundown...

you'll need

1) <a href="http://195.134.134.27/downloads/macdvd/DVDBackup_13.bin"; target="_blank">DVDBackup 1.3</a> (optional, if the DVD is not CSS encrypted, you can rip directly from it

2) <a href="http://denisx.dyndns.org/downloads/ViSA.app_a44.sit"; target="_blank">ViSA</a> for ripping and converting the video

(i strongly recommend getting the <a href="http://www.3ivx.com/codec/3ivx_d4_pr2_mac.sit"; target="_blank">3ivx D4 PR2</a> encoder to use with visa -- it is the absolutely best encoder out there at the moment!)

3) <a href="http://denisx.dyndns.org/extractor/downloads/"; target="_blank">Extractor</a> to rip the audio from the VOB files

4) <a href="http://denisx.dyndns.org/bd4go/downloads/bd4go-current.sit"; target="_blank">bd4g0</a> to convert the audio into aiff

5) and last but not least Quicktime (Pro) to convert the aiff into AAC and paste the sound track into the movie you got in step 2

6) enjoy!

using the above setup on my dual ghz i get encoding speeds of &gt;30fps i.e. faster than realtime and at the same time get the superb quality of the 3ivx codec.

do give it a try!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Dale Mox:

<strong>

Eeeer, where is that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nevermind I found it on my own.

Thanks

Dale Mox
  • Reply 16 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Dale Mox:

<strong>

Eeeer, where is that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nevermind I found it on my own.

Thanks

Dale Mox
  • Reply 17 of 21
    ive ripped 90% of my collection using the following method:

extract audio/video from dvd using 0SEX

encode video into 3ivx using mediapipe

encode audio into aiff using bd4go( be sure to select the "normalize option, otherwise you get very quiet movies)

i then open the audio in quicktime and export it as mpeg 4 audio (aac, 96k/sec.)

when (after several hours) media pipe finishes encoding, i open both the audio and the video in qt.

copy the audio (cmd-a and then cmd-c) and then click the movie, go to the edit menu and then choose "Add Scaled".

This will ensure that the audio track is the same legnth(time) as the move is.

then finally save as a self contained movie.

the software i mentioned can be found with a quick google search.

Enjoy
  • Reply 18 of 21

<strong>Easy as pie.

all audio except "MP1" (not "AC3") in your language, and hit "begin".

What if all I have are AC3 tracks? Since all DVDs are dolby digital to begin with, unless I am wrong, they are all AC3 (5.1) wether they are true 5.1, 2ch, or mono? Maybe that is why I and the other guy in this thread are losing the audio at some point in the process?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Well, after using FFMpegX 0.0.5, I would recommend still using OSEx to extract the DVD. It gives more detail about the movie.

In the screenshot, there are both MPEG stereo audio and AC3 5.1 audio. It's also got the sample rate (48KHz), good to keep in mind for the MP3 track.

If you don't get Audio, and your DVDs don't have any stereo tracks, I guess you'll have to use another program to encode the audio. In the Fmt menu of OSEx, you can choose "elementary streams" which splits the VOB up into audio and video tracks. Unfortunatly, this can introduce syncing issues (audio being out of sync with video) when you convert to DivX. Use "Add audio" in the audio tab in FFMpegX to do so.

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Tomholio:

<strong>actually, dvd ripping on the mac has just gotten much easier ;-)

That's not much easier. OSEx lets you save a DVD as a single file (or single audio and video files), which is easier.

QuickTime Pro really is a necessity for this folks. But QuikTime Pro doesn't understand AC3 audio, so if you are experiencing the no-Audio problem, you can't use it.

Barto