I miss the iLamp design (iMac G4)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So while I am a big fan of the aluminum and glass enclosures of the current iMacs, I really miss the industrial chrome swing arm of the G4 iMacs.

I can remember watching the live coverage of the SteveNote in January 2002 when it was first unveiled (they broadcast it on Tech TV that year which was very cool). In any case, seeing that design blew me away. It was just so versatile. I know the current iMacs can swivel for a higher or lower angle view, but not side to side.

I can definitely do without the white plastic base, but what if they remade that design but with glass and aluminum? It could have an ultra thin display (like the MacBook Air, but larger) and a slot loading optical drive this time? It wouldn't even have to stay dome shaped...it could be some other cool geometrical design. I would snap one of these up i a heartbeat. I just think overall it is a smarter design in terms of being able to have the screen exactly where you want it.

Bring back the Swing Arm!

Anyone else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Reportedly, Steve had a vision of the design that was based off a beautiful flower and pot in his yard. The pot being the base, the stem being the long arm, and the display being the bloomed flower.

My contention when they released said design was to have a detachable display so that you could carry it around. Maybe, just maybe, they'll have a similar design for the Tablet PC they'll be releasing and the base will be a docking station for the Tablet
  • Reply 2 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    You still see that in some movies and TV shows.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

So while I am a big fan of the aluminum and glass enclosures of the current iMacs, I really miss the industrial chrome swing arm of the G4 iMacs.

I can remember watching the live coverage of the SteveNote in January 2002 when it was first unveiled (they broadcast it on Tech TV that year which was very cool). In any case, seeing that design blew me away. It was just so versatile. I know the current iMacs can swivel for a higher or lower angle view, but not side to side.

I can definitely do without the white plastic base, but what if they remade that design but with glass and aluminum? It could have an ultra thin display (like the MacBook Air, but larger) and a slot loading optical drive this time? It wouldn't even have to stay dome shaped...it could be some other cool geometrical design. I would snap one of these up i a heartbeat. I just think overall it is a smarter design in terms of being able to have the screen exactly where you want it.

Bring back the Swing Arm!

Anyone else?

I miss it too. I wish they had continued with the concept and come out with updated versions. That swing arm was cool and seemed of high quality.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    You know the funniest/weirdest part of the iLamp, was what was said in the keynote unveiling. Steve had them do a mock up sillhouette of a then current G3 imac, and then lopped off the back making a flat screen blob and said "here it is, the new iMac" and got some laughs of course. Obviously this was not the new iMac.

But basically he went on to describe the philosophy of the design and why they didn't just lop off the back and call it a day. He said hard drives and optical drives don't work well in the vertical configuration, which is why they didn't just slap them in behind a screen. He had some other reasons for the design that I now forget. But beginning with the iMac G5, Apple has gone completely against this philiosophy. He said, if the screen needs to be flat, then let it be flat, and if the drives need to be horizontal, then let them be, etc." Made perfect sense. Now they are onto other things it would seem.

I am now wondering if they only said those things shouldn't be done because they couldn't find a way to do them at the time In any case, I loved the design then, and I still do. I am all on board for iLamp Take 2 someday.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Mine is still very much operational and very much loved
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

You know the funniest/weirdest part of the iLamp, was what was said in the keynote unveiling. Steve had them do a mock up sillhouette of a then current G3 imac, and then lopped off the back making a flat screen blob and said "here it is, the new iMac" and got some laughs of course. Obviously this was not the new iMac.

But basically he went on to describe the philosophy of the design and why they didn't just lop off the back and call it a day. He said hard drives and optical drives don't work well in the vertical configuration, which is why they didn't just slap them in behind a screen. He had some other reasons for the design that I now forget. But beginning with the iMac G5, Apple has gone completely against this philiosophy. He said, if the screen needs to be flat, then let it be flat, and if the drives need to be horizontal, then let them be, etc." Made perfect sense. Now they are onto other things it would seem.

I think it was about the heat. But I only heard about the presentation from detractors of the G5 iMac. Also, drives didn't have to be horizontal, though the drive in the base where you can see it is probably more convenient than a slot on the side.

Quote:

I am now wondering if they only said those things shouldn't be done because they couldn't find a way to do them at the time In any case, I loved the design then, and I still do. I am all on board for iLamp Take 2 someday.

The G4 iMac still sells pretty highly. It holds its own against earlier iMac G5s, often fetching a couple hundred dollars more than an early G5 one of apparently equivalent condition. I think the problem now is that screens are now a lot larger.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it was about the heat. But I only heard about the presentation from detractors of the G5 iMac. Also, drives didn't have to be horizontal, though the drive in the base where you can see it is probably more convenient than a slot on the side.

The G4 iMac still sells pretty highly. It holds its own against earlier iMac G5s, often fetching a couple hundred dollars more than an early G5 one of apparently equivalent condition. I think the problem now is that screens are now a lot larger.

Most comfortable computer I ever used.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    What I liked best about the lamp iMac was the many positions that the screen could be put in. It was an ergonomic godsend as most people position their screens incorrectly often because the screens don't allow for the needed positioning. Usually to high in relation to the persons eyes.