Sources detail changes to Snow Leopard installation process

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, how I am not going to get into that one!

Use protection if you do.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I just want to know if I have to have Leopard installed in order to install Snow Leopard. I tend to like to zero my drive and start from scratch with a new OS. While I own a copy of Leopard, it would be a colossal pain to have to zero, install Leopard, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard...

I really am hoping that it does not require OSX 10.5 to be installed.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Good question. I'd also like to know if it's possible to write plugins for QTX. I'm sure a lot of people currently use Perian and the WMV components from Flip4Mac. Will it be possible for those components to be re-written to work with QTX?

That's up to the developers to write Cocoa interfaces for each.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Use protection if you do.

I wouldn't touch it with a three foot plunger.
  • Reply 65 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjtolman View Post

I really am hoping that it does not require OSX 10.5 to be installed.

I believe that this is a direct upgrade from 10.5, hence the low price.
  • Reply 66 of 113
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I just want to know if I have to have Leopard installed in order to install Snow Leopard. I tend to like to zero my drive and start from scratch with a new OS. While I own a copy of Leopard, it would be a colossal pain to have to zero, install Leopard, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard...

Wow, what a COMPLETE waste of time. An Archive and Install gives you a new system folder, and now it appears to be automatic. Your apps don't need reinstallation with a new OS.
  • Reply 67 of 113
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Good question. I'd also like to know if it's possible to write plugins for QTX. I'm sure a lot of people currently use Perian and the WMV components from Flip4Mac. Will it be possible for those components to be re-written to work with QTX?

Not yet possible, but will be in a future version.

Edited to add: plugins like Perian will still work in Quicktime X Player, it'll just run them through the Quicktime 7 engine.
  • Reply 68 of 113
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

I wouldn't touch it with a three foot plunger.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't endowed.
  • Reply 69 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I'm sorry to hear you weren't endowed.

Oh, I have enough money.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I believe that this is a direct upgrade from 10.5, hence the low price.

They could always just verify the media you have is authentic without requiring 10.5 be installed.
  • Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They could always just verify the media you have is authentic without requiring 10.5 be installed.

If the idea is to build upon 10.5, not just as in the software itself, but in the upgrade path for people who did spend the $129, or bought the family edition, then I would think they would want 10.5 to be present in a way that would show it was coupled to the machine itself, and "legal". Otherwise, one person could just hand a 10.5 disk around for people to use as a "verification " disk. but it really wouldn't be, would it?

Its also to reward people who made the latest machine purchases that had Leopard on it.
  • Reply 72 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they will likely not continue to develop QT 7 just as they froze Tiger at 10.4.11 and are apparently freezing Leopard at 10.5.8

Well then are they releasing QuickTime X for Leopard and Windows? Otherwise, discontinuing QuickTime 7 and making QuickTime X Snow Leopard exclusive would basically mean QuickTime itself is dead. HTML5 video is all well and good for browsers, but Quicktime has a lot of uses as an integral part of third-party applications and games. Lack of non-Snow Leopard support would mean developers will quickly move on.

I'm curious on the Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade discs as well. I don't really remember from my last Leopard install, but did it require you to register Leopard? I know it asked for some contact information to be stored in Address Book by default. If people did register then they could check, although that would require an internet connection. I have a feeling the Snow Leopard upgrade discs might just be full installs as has always been the case. Just that Apple won't market them as such. Or perhaps the Leopard leaves a flag in your EFI or other firmware?
  • Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:

If the idea is to build upon 10.5, not just as in the software itself, but in the upgrade path for people who did spend the $129, or bought the family edition, then I would think they would want 10.5 to be present in a way that would show it was coupled to the machine itself, and "legal". Otherwise, one person could just hand a 10.5 disk around for people to use as a "verification " disk. but it really wouldn't be, would it?

Its also to reward people who made the latest machine purchases that had Leopard on it.

You're assuming Apple will take the MS path. People are already on the 'honor' system. You can give your CD to anyone now and install it any number of times. I see no reason they would need to change that now.
  • Reply 74 of 113
    Quote:

You're assuming Apple will take the MS path. People are already on the 'honor' system. You can give your CD to anyone now and install it any number of times. I see no reason they would need to change that now.

The difference is that when you are asked to register your new machine, or software, you get support from Apple. If you don't do that, then your installation isn't supported. It's easy for the new upgrade to look for that registration, and back out of the upgrade if it doesn't find it.

Apple is lax because they know that installations are only on Apple machines, except now for a very small number of hackintoshes.

If companies such as Psystar, and too many individuals, insist in "cheating" Apple of its hardware sales, I would imagine that they will feel compelled to institute similar controls to those of MS.

This is how the improper actions of a few, negatively affect the rest of us.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    Quote:

The difference is that when you are asked to register your new machine, or software, you get support from Apple. If you don't do that, then your installation isn't supported. It's easy for the new upgrade to look for that registration, and back out of the upgrade if it doesn't find it.

Apple is lax because they know that installations are only on Apple machines, except now for a very small number of hackintoshes.

If companies such as Psystar, and too many individuals, insist in "cheating" Apple of its hardware sales, I would imagine that they will feel compelled to institute similar controls to those of MS.

This is how the improper actions of a few, negatively affect the rest of us.

Again, you are assuming that Mac users typically cheat Apple. I certainly don't. The cost is actually fair to my mind for these OS releases. Having come from the Windows side, they are downright cheap. Since the current honor system is adequate in Apple's eyes, I see no reason Apple couldn't just verify the user has an existing 10.5 CD. I think most people are actually honest for the most part. They haven't assumed their user base are criminals first and gone from there and I see no reason they would need to start down that path.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Nice to see they even have tweaks for reinstall. Although i have only done it twice in the few years of being a Mac user. Compare to a Zillion times i did for M$ XP and Vista.

How long does the installation takes?
  • Reply 77 of 113
    http://macs.about.com/od/macoperatin...leapordpre.htm

Assuming this is accurate, it's good news. If you just like a clean install, or if you don't want to mess with anything and just pop in the new disk without worrying too much about the reinstall itself.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Well then are they releasing QuickTime X for Leopard and Windows? Otherwise, discontinuing QuickTime 7 and making QuickTime X Snow Leopard exclusive would basically mean QuickTime itself is dead. HTML5 video is all well and good for browsers, but Quicktime has a lot of uses as an integral part of third-party applications and games. Lack of non-Snow Leopard support would mean developers will quickly move on.

I'm curious on the Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade discs as well. I don't really remember from my last Leopard install, but did it require you to register Leopard? I know it asked for some contact information to be stored in Address Book by default. If people did register then they could check, although that would require an internet connection. I have a feeling the Snow Leopard upgrade discs might just be full installs as has always been the case. Just that Apple won't market them as such. Or perhaps the Leopard leaves a flag in your EFI or other firmware?

If you were actually a heavy QuickTime registered with Apple you wouldn't be addressing this concern, on this rumor site. You'd know for the past 12 months what was going on.
  • Reply 79 of 113
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Quote:

http://macs.about.com/od/macoperatin...leapordpre.htm

Assuming this is accurate, it's good news. If you just like a clean install, or if you don't want to mess with anything and just pop in the new disk without worrying too much about the reinstall itself.

There was actually a workaround in the old 10.5 upgrade discs. My MacBook Pro came with on of the so called "drop in" discs that was supposed to be for upgrade from 10.4 only, not a full install. I used this trick when I wanted to do a fresh Leopard install on a larger hard drive I had installed myself. If what that links states is not true, it would be interesting to see if this still works.

Quote:

To perform a fresh / clean installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to a totally blank/formatted hard drive using nothing but the upgrade DVD, do the following:

1. Boot from the Mac OS X Leopard Upgrade DVD (hold 'c' while booting).

2. Notice that the check for previous will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out).

3. Choose the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup and go as far as you can (note: if you do actually have a Time Machine backup, pretend that you don't - making sure you've already removed any backup drives you may have plugged in).

4. Now go back to (almost) the initial screen.

5. Notice the "Continue" button is no longer grayed out.

• Reply 80 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you were actually a heavy QuickTime registered with Apple you wouldn't be addressing this concern, on this rumor site. You'd know for the past 12 months what was going on.

Well I'm not a heavy Quicktime developer. Just a concerned user. Hence the question.