Snow Leopard Golden Master seeded to Apple developer community

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has supplied its broad developer community the presumed Golden Master build for Snow Leopard, going beyond the select group who previously had sole access, numerous sources tell AppleInsider.

Though Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard build 10A432 was allegedly supplied earlier in the week to a select group of developers and company employees, this latest update is another sign that Apple's next operating system is nearing release. The operating system's presumed Golden Master, which is typically the final version before the product is released for duplication on optical media, is now said to be in the hands of all registered Mac OS X developers.

Accompanying the client version was reportedly a build of Snow Leopard Server, which is one build number higher, 10A433. It also included what may be the final release of QuickTime 7, version 7.6.4.

The download size of the client image is 6.1GB, while the server image weighs in at 5.5GB.

The latest version of OS X is due to be released in September, but Apple has not announced an official date. As the software speeds towards its delivery, more information continues to leak out about the Mac-maker's latest operating system. Wednesday, AppleInsider exclusively revealed the software's installation process.

Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is priced at $29 for the single user license and $49 for the five-license family pack. The upgrade prices are available for users of the current version of Mac OS X, 10.5 Leopard. Snow Leopard will only be available for Mac users on Intel-based computers.

Also available is Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard. Priced at $499, Leopard Server is said to be the most significant improvement to the server operating system since Mac OS X Server was launched. Amazon is also selling box sets with Snow Leopard, featuring the OS, iWork and iLife for $169 and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife for $229.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Yes.......
  • Reply 2 of 32
    pre-ordered mine yesterday.. can't wait
  • Reply 3 of 32
    I'll take a shot and say a release of 9/1/09. Perfect as a Tuesday release and still in September as Apple stated.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    You honestly think Apple would make it this easy. C'mmon guys.

Final release is still a build or two away at least.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    If true, the Gold Master is very good news. It shows that Apple is not too far behind Microsoft which has released Windows 7 to Manufacturing and group licensing clients.

We will all benefit from the new operating systems. They will spark a new wave of computer buying which is good before Christmas and in this economic recession.

If true, the Gold Master is very good news.

• Reply 6 of 32
    pics?

anyone seen any new changes?

this is the last chance...
  • Reply 7 of 32
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The image weight 6.4GB......... where did all the trim and slimming went to?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    John Gruber has some seriously good inside sources at Apple (he nailed the 3gs info days before the announcement)-- he says it will be out as early at 8/28 (posted earlier today on DaringFireball.net. Leopard was released on a Friday, so I can believe it. I say 8/28 or, probably more likely, 9/4.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delhokie View Post

John Gruber has some seriously good inside sources at Apple (he nailed the 3gs info days before the announcement)-- he says it will be out as early at 8/28 (posted earlier today on DaringFireball.net. Leopard was released on a Friday, so I can believe it. I say 8/28 or, probably more likely, 9/4.

Is there an advantage in Apple releasing Snow Leopard early in late August compared to September? Either way they still basically miss Back-to-School season. But I guess assuming there is going to be the standard major iPod event in September, possibly with major announcements regarding App Store policy changes, they would want to get Snow Leopard out of the way to avoid overlapping news. Perhaps releasing Snow Leopard early is also to make up for releasing Leopard late. Although either way, I think it still means that the Mac is going to be over-shadowed by iPhone/iPod Touch related announcements.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    The developer community gave Apple hell when Leopard was released for not making the GM available to developers before the street date. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made sure to make the GM available well in advance of Snow Leopard being available to the public.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Is there an advantage in Apple releasing Snow Leopard early in late August compared to September? Either way they still basically miss Back-to-School season. But I guess assuming there is going to be the standard major iPod event in September, possibly with major announcements regarding App Store policy changes, they would want to get Snow Leopard out of the way to avoid overlapping news. Perhaps releasing Snow Leopard early is also to make up for releasing Leopard late. Although either way, I think it still means that the Mac is going to be over-shadowed by iPhone/iPod Touch related announcements.

Agree. And further, if they are going to release a new device, which everyone has been talking about, then they better have news related to Snow Leopard settle down. I see all reasons for ASAP launch.

Check this - http://www.gearlive.com/news/article...pard-disc-art/ - new disc art.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delhokie View Post

John Gruber has some seriously good inside sources at Apple (he nailed the 3gs info days before the announcement)-- he says it will be out as early at 8/28 (posted earlier today on DaringFireball.net. Leopard was released on a Friday, so I can believe it. I say 28/8 or, probably more likely, 4/9.

Changed those US dates as they confused me. Anyway, either of those sounds good - I would doubt they'd do it one week after 4/9.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    So when will it hit pirate bay? Because until my paid-for preorder arrives, I would like to mess around with it...
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I think I notice several things in this build that could be the "One more thing."

Stay tuned people, Apple has some tricks up their sleeve.

(Yes, I have a legal license to the seed, and no, I will not share more info)
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

So when will it hit pirate bay?

Haven't those guys been shut down yet? Or maybe they've been converted to the honeypot bay.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Because until my paid-for preorder arrives, I would like to mess around with it...

For an OS that's been nearly two years in the making (10.5 was released in Oct '07) and you can't wait two more weeks, give or take?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fooruman View Post

I think I notice several things in this build that could be the "One more thing."

Stay tuned people, Apple has some tricks up their sleeve.

(Yes, I have a legal license to the seed, and no, I will not share more info)

Less buggy Exchange support than in the previous seeds? An iTunes dashboard widget that works? A fix for colour calibration reversion on wake from sleep? Global iTunes style scrollbars? A return of Preferences to QuickTime? A fix for sorting in Stacks? A less half-assed way of adding sort by kind in open/save dialogs?

Okay I'll stop guessing as you won't tell anyway, but that lot would do it for me - not much to ask even .
  • Reply 17 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Cool, I wonder which site will be first with an in-depth review?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Maybe Apple wants to put in rumored "Marble" interface and release SL in September
  • Reply 19 of 32
    What is exactly the difference between the normal and the family pack?

Funny, this is the first release, that I didn't hear any info during GM about the next future release, in this case the 10.9.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Accompanying the client version was reportedly a build of Snow Leopard Server, which is one build number higher, 10A433. It also included what may be the final release of QuickTime 7, version 7.6.4.

Maybe they should check the build number on Server again.