How do you afford your Mac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    I always save and pay cash. The great thing about owning a Mac is they have good resale value. Something else which is beneficial, is they tend to pay for themselves overt time if you use it for work related stuff!
  • Reply 22 of 32
    High School

College

Crap job after college

Paid dues at crappy job but learned a lot

Get better job after years go by

In 30's now can afford to buy toys

In all seriousness there is no way I could afford a Mac when I was in college. Gratz to those that can from saving and hard work!
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    My first iMac I received as a college gift. I sold the iMac to a friend. It still works today 10 years later.

I bought a PowerBook five years ago and a MacBook Pro last year. For those purchses I saved half of the cost, put the rest on credit. Then write the purchase off my taxes. I sold the PowerBook and used the money towards the MBP.

I bought a used PowerMac G5 four years ago and sold that last year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Are most people using credit?

Or saving up as much as possible?

Or are a bit wealthy?

• Reply 24 of 32
    Right now my MacBook White Core Duo, I reckon has a reasonable resale value of 1/3 of a new Alu MacBook 2.0 ghz. More or less close to savings for the remaining 2/3 in about a few months time. We'll see.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I can't, which is why my six-year-old G3 iBook has never been replaced. It also hasn't been powered on in almost six months. New and used Macs are all priced absurdly high.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I don't have a car payment, I use the money that would have gone toward car payments for Apple stuff - 24" iMac, 14" iBook, 2nd Generation iPod Touch and so on .
  • Reply 27 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    work--fight the monster of "dependency"

set realistic goals

separate wants from needs

prioritize spending

taxes first--retirement 2nd--savings goals--set aside some for the less fortunate--live on rest

learn to say no, not now, "all things come to those who wait"

buy refurbished

learn to manage $1, then you can manage $100....then $1000

minimize credit use

follow dave ramesy

marry a prudent person

invest in yourself

don't waste--still have my strawberry imac g3 slot loader--(internet and print server)

listen to successful people--success breads success---talk less listen more

we've talked of this before

• Reply 28 of 32
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    The question should not be "how to you afford a Mac", but rather "how to you afford a PC"

Seeing that PC's are actually more expensive to own than Macs once you do the full calculation and not just the upfront price on hardware.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    My present Mac is woefully in need of replacement, but I can't afford to right now; when the time comes it'll be paid for in cash.

Due to 'extraneous' circumstance the purchase of my current Mac was very expensive, but worth every penny (the extraneous circumstances that is, if not the Mac itself )
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

The question should not be "how to you afford a Mac", but rather "how to you afford a PC"

Seeing that PC's are actually more expensive to own than Macs once you do the full calculation and not just the upfront price on hardware.

Depends on your needs though, my experience has been the opposite.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trevowski View Post

I'm 18, and bought a 24" iMac about 3 months ago.

I constantly saved. I sat down one day and made a budget, including my bills, some play money, food etc. and set aside a certain amount of money weekly for my computer.

My "play money", if there was any left over at the end of the week, it goes into the iMac fund, along with the cash I was setting aside to begin with.

Then i just started over the next week.

it took me roughly 6-7 months, but now I'm using my iMac with no regrets, and no debt either

WOW you are way ahead of the game, where did you learn such discipline?? good for you

most your age can barely spell budget let alone make and stick to it.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    eBay, fool.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    mini are cheaper,or go to ebay,or waiting for them on sale,oh back to school period, there are many supplies,inclu mac for sale.