Microsoft says Office 2010, Outlook for Mac coming next year

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When Office 2010 for Mac launches late next year, the software suite's program Entourage will be replaced by a brand new version of Outlook built from the ground up.

Eric Wilfrid, general manager of MacBU, Microsoft's Mac Business Unit, announced the new application during a conference call Thursday morning. Outlook will rely on a new database, sync with Microsoft Exchange, and be compatible with Outlook for Windows.

"Outlook will be a Cocoa application," Wilfrid said, citing the development layer of Mac OS X. "We're building on the most modern OS X framework to make Outlook beautiful, to make it high performance, and to make it well integrated with the operating system."

Outlook for Mac will also include information rights management with cross-platform support. The technology will allow users of Outlook on Mac and Windows to share confidential information on either platform. Features such as flagging messages, creating and accessing public folders and managed folders, and category sync will all be cross-platform as well.

The application will be a part of Office 2010 for Mac, which is expected to debut in time for the holidays next year. But in the meantime, Microsoft still has new products -- and an expansion of Entourage.

Microsoft also announced Thursday a new SKU called Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition, launching Sept. 15. It will be sold alongside the current edition available for students, and aims to simplify the product lineup. The new business version will include Entourage Web Services Edition and Microsoft Document Connection for Mac.

"These two components help bsuinesses of all size connect to software and services and mange their businesses," Wilfrid said.

Customers who are on the latest version of Exchange Server can download Entourage Web Services Edition starting today. The feature is based on a new exchange protocol. It offers performance and reliability improvements, and also enables users to sync tasks, notes and categories. But the Entourage update is designed to help pave the way for Outlook for Mac next year.

"In the long view, entourage web services edition is a stepping stone to something bigger," he said.

Before then, Wilfrid said the new Office 2008 will be an asset to businesses. He said Microsoft has worked closely, in person, with its beta testers to meet their requirements. The new SKU will also include over 200 new templates and clip art to help businesses project a more professional image.

The suggested retail price for the new Business Edition is the same as the current Standard Edition, $399 for the full product and $239 to upgrade.

Last month, Microsoft released Service Pack 2 for Office 2008 for Mac, bringing improved stability, speed and new features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Why? Who needs it?
  • Reply 2 of 80
    Outlook was one of the factors that prompted me to leap from MS Windows to Macs and OSX. I have to use Outlook on a work PC and it just makes me appreciate Mail on my Mac when I'm at home.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why? Who needs it?

Good Question.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    who would voluntarily use this, unless it isn't mandatory i.e. work?
  • Reply 5 of 80
    One word. Exchange.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Well, I work in a mostly M$ office. Entourage doesn't integrate well in our mostly Windows (Exchange) environment. For example, booking rooms for meetings doesn't work quite right. Plus, the IT team here struggles with assisting Entourage users. With a true Outlook option, more folks who prefer the Mac platform might be able to switch at the office.

Also, having the same name ("Outlook") for mail helps potential switchers feel more comfortable. Many users want to see familiar names on the software they're going to load on their new Mac when they get it home.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    I use Entourage heavily for work purposes and have no complaints whatsoever. I will surely be upgrading to Outlook for Mac once things are completed. While it isn't the best e-mail client, it is surely much better than Apple's client for seamless Exchange integration. I also tried using Snow Leopard's mail client for exchange integration, but it only syncs natively with Exchange 2007, which we aren't on. Apple Mail is just up to par for what I need at work. At home? Different story....it works great for home use.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Shame they can't sell Word anymore!

• Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Well, I work in a mostly M$ office. Entourage doesn't integrate well in our mostly Windows (Exchange) environment. For example, booking rooms for meetings doesn't work quite right. Plus, the IT team here struggles with assisting Entourage users. With a true Outlook option, more folks who prefer the Mac platform might be able to switch at the office.

Also, having the same name ("Outlook") for mail helps potential switchers feel more comfortable. Many users want to see familiar names on the software they're going to load on their new Mac when they get it home.

is m$ encouraging people to switch to mac?
  • Reply 10 of 80
    ..the IT fascists will allow employees to use Macs here at work. That would be a huge upgrade.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    I use Entourage all the time too. It's horrible in comparison with Outlook 2007 on the PC. But Entourage just pisses all over Apple Mail as an all-in-one communications and contacts manager application. The Exchange syncing is not perfect but it's the best we'll have until the next version of Office is released.

Thankfully Entourage is good enough for me to stay out of my VMware install of Windows 7 to run an Outlook 2007 for now.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

is m$ encouraging people to switch to mac?

I doubt it, but I think what they are trying to do is, if you swap to Mac, we can still provide the software that you know and understand. This is mostly for IT support/managers, who only know the windows environment and get a panic attack, when you speak about OSX, because they are native to it.

Soul
  • Reply 13 of 80
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Microsoft also announced Thursday a new SKU called Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition, launching Sept. 15. It will be sold alongside the current edition available for students, and aims to simplify the product lineup.

I don't think Microsoft is capable of even pronouncing the words "simplify the product lineup" let alone accomplishing such a goal. How does one introduce a new SKU (with a year-old product name) to an existing group of products and claim that that somehow 'simplifies' things?
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:

Why? Who needs it?

The best thing about Outlook.... is the integration with calendars, notes, email and address book-all open on one screen and easily accessable. The problem is, as usual with an MS product, it is poorly implemented and clumsy.

The best thing about this news.... is it will force Apple to revise their 4 apps, Calendar, Mail, Notes, Address Book and "combine" them into one seamless application, ie., one screen where everything is there for inspection.

I've always thought Apple's individual apps were superior to anything MS has produced, but I never liked or understood having to open multiple apps and flipping between them to keep my day organized and current with ease!

Trust that Apple will implement it a lot better than MS ever would.

• Reply 15 of 80
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Office 2010? Is this the first this has been announced, I thought we only got Office updates every 4 years?
  • Reply 16 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I use Entourage heavily for work purposes and have no complaints whatsoever. I will surely be upgrading to Outlook for Mac once things are completed. While it isn't the best e-mail client, it is surely much better than Apple's client for seamless Exchange integration. I also tried using Snow Leopard's mail client for exchange integration, but it only syncs natively with Exchange 2007, which we aren't on. Apple Mail is just up to par for what I need at work. At home? Different story....it works great for home use.

Is there any reason to believe this new Mac Outlook will work with older versions of Exchange Server like 2003?
  • Reply 17 of 80
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Why? Who needs it?

Anyone in the business world. This is good news, it means Macs can integrate better at a workplace.

Of course i'm sure many people will dislike it just because its from MS...
  • Reply 18 of 80
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Why? Who needs it?

People that are forced to use Windows only network environment. Thats about 90% of the planet. So no matter how much of a piece of crap these Microsoft products for Mac, you have to use it if you want a chance to use your Mac for anything else in those environment.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Pretty savvy, actually. Steals that little bit of thunder from SL's upcoming Exchange support (though I believe that's included in the $29 upgrade, vs. the separate cost for Outlook/Office 2010).

"Who needs it?" You'd be surprised.

I'm just wanting to be able to manage my work emails from home without OWA (which isn't nearly as bad as it once was) and without running Parallels/Fusion and without schlepping my Windows work laptop back and forth everyday.

If this has PST/OST file support and Excel regains macro support as advertised, those would be the clincher for me. My guess is that they are going to sell a lot of copies of this and further solidify the Office cash cow as the defacto productivity suite in the minds of a lot of people.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    A cocoa version of outlook for mac?

Holy shit, Hell just froze over.