Apple's annual music media event rumored for early September

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Citing "multiple music industry sources," MediaMemo reports that Apple is planning an iPod-centric keynote event for the week of Sept. 7, consistent with the timing of previous years' events.

Apple typically holds music and iPod related events to make new announcements every September. Last year, the "Let's Rock" event was held Sept. 9, while the 2007 "The Beat Goes On" keynote was Sept. 5, and the 2006 "It's Showtime" event was held Sept. 12. Apple has not yet confirmed the date of its keynote this year.

The MediaMemo report speculates that Apple's rumored "Cocktail" album concept could play a part at the event.

"Given that Apple has tipped off music industry executives, it’s a fair bet that the event will incorporate music in some way," the report states. "Perhaps it will show off the new "Cocktail" format that Apple has been working on, which bundles full-length albums with other goodies like album covers and interactive bells and whistles."

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event. Sources say that the device will not launch until early 2010.

This year, rumors indicate new iPod touch and iPod nano models with cameras. In July, numerous photos of third-party cases for the iPod touch and iPod nano featuring camera holes bolstered those ongoing rumors.

There have also been reports of the release of iTunes 9, possibly with support for Blu-ray discs and social media integration. Apple has also reportedly been working on a video on demand service for iTunes.

At lest year's event, Apple unveiled iTunes 8 with the new Genius feature, debuted the fourth-generation iPod nano, introduced a reworked iPod touch with hardware volume controls and built-in Nike + iPod support, and refreshed the iPod classic with a 120GB model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    All I'm waiting for is a new version of iTunes.

My iPhone is my iPod now...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    I could have told you the date a year ago. Apple doesn't really make it hard to figure out that they have a pattern going.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    The new iPod event is always, without fail, the second Tuesday in September. I've had September 8th marked on my calendar for months now
  • Reply 4 of 43
    yeah same. I just hope that Apple does something really amazing to make the ZuneHD look like a piece of crap.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Here's the obligatory maybe-they'll-finally-release-the-Beatles-on-itunes speculative post. Especially with Cocktail, then EMI might be more willing to release the albums.

I have similar posts prewritten for the next 5 years.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. ...

I don't know where you get this from.

Because one party put out some weak unfounded speculation that the tablet will arrive in September, it will be "disappointing" if they don't?

You guys don't even believe this yourselves. Why stoke the idiots by promoting "disappointment" you don't yourselves even believe would be justified?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.

No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I don't know where you get this from.

Because one party put out some weak unfounded speculation that the tablet will arrive in September, it will be "disappointing" if they don't?

You guys don't even believe this yourselves. Why stoke the idiots by promoting "disappointment" you don't yourselves even believe would be justified?

Don't kid yourself, there will be disappointment if a tablet isn't announced. Apples product announcements are not judged by what they announce (unless they announce something revolutionary) but by what they didn't announce. Unless Apple announces the device that ends the needs for any other device, there will be disapointment. Apple is expected to release a revolutionary product every time they have one of these events. Even a tablet announcement will probably be met with initial disapointment because it didn't do what people expected it to (which is everything plus things we haven't even thought of doing yet). Peoples expectations of Apple are unreasonable, it usually takes a couple days after a product announcement/refresh for cooler heads to prevail.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.

No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.

It is largely speculated that the tablet would run iPhoneOS which makes it an iDevice, all of which stem from the iPod. A tablet in this sense could be considered an expansion of the iPod line.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No it doesn't.

Everyone know jobs want the universe to use mobile me. Thus the cameras. I wonder when the $30 Dara fee 3g devices will appear. Reason no voip apps, of course, that can be hacked.

I just renewed, about half price using old code. Not sure I will reknew if it was $99. Thars a lot also, changes I make eg in iCal font appear online and vice versatile. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Hope to see mm drop in price someday.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Can't believe no one has mentioned that the Beatles will go digital on 09/09/09! If Apple Corps and Apple are ever going to get together that is the date it will all happen...
  • Reply 12 of 43
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avalo995 View Post

yeah same. I just hope that Apple does something really amazing to make the ZuneHD look like a piece of crap.

the only thing going for the Zune HD atm is price, but it isn't even out yet, and we all know the iPod touch will get more storage for less and the iPod touch can already do more
  • Reply 13 of 43
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    There will be no tablet announcements at this event. It's a music event, music-centric PR as it always is every year.

The tablet will come later in the year.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Can't believe no one has mentioned that the Beatles will go digital on 09/09/09! If Apple Corps and Apple are ever going to get together that is the date it will all happen...

"....number 9, ...number 9, ...number 9, ...the twist, the watusi...."

• Reply 15 of 43
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I think Apple will stay away from the week of Sept. 7th as that is the week of Labor Day.

More likely to be held the following week.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I am always amazed at how few leaks there are. I know that Apple is famous for keeping things buttoned up, but with all the third party accessories being designed, mocked up, fabricated, tested, package and ad-designed months in advance. And with lots of that work being outsourced. It's amazing that there aren't more leaks.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Apple will stay away from the week of Sept. 7th as that is the week of Labor Day.

More likely to be held the following week.

How do you figure? People have to be back at work on Tuesday, and if not, well, the Apple event is one more reason to take a 4-day extended weekend (for the Apple faithful, anyway). Win-win all around if you ask me.

People are going to find out what happens regardless.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    As usual the event will transpire after the "get a free iPod" with purchase of a Mac deal ends (after 9/8). Music announcements have followed this pattern for several years. They wouldn't risk doing it on Sep. 8th since the promotion is still available.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    I find this whole, will they release the "iPad" in September or will they release it in early '10 kind of stupid already. Here's what we know. 1) It's coming. 2) They've shot a commercial for a "secret new product," so it's coming soon.

So here's how I think it's going to shake out. Either it will be full-on released alongside everything else in Sept., OR It will be *announced* in Sept, available for pre-order, and released in Jan '10, (which of course, the way Apple does things, will be like, the last *day* of January, so at least it still qualifies as "January.")

AI keeps implying that because *their* sources say it won't come out until 1st quarter 2010, any kind of tablet announcement in September is unlikely. Even if they're right about the release timeframe, the "one more thing" can still happen in September. They announced the iPhone SIX months ahead of it's release, they can certainly go a similar route here.

Why would they? Same reason they probably did it for the iPhone. Because at a certain point, when the rumor mill gets this furious with speculation and anticipation, if nothing shows up, everyone winds up disappointed. And the last thing Apple wants is to hold a big event, and then have all the news/rumor sites just walk away going, "yeah, but no tablet." It takes away from the positive impact of the event.

Peace out.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Yes traditionally Apple has used the second Tuesday of September for the iPod announcements.

I for one am not expecting the tablet on this day (but would not be surprised if it appeared or was announced).

We know that September has always been the iPod event, however, it may migrate into something more total for Apple!

Apple will not be part of MacWorld as Steve has pointed out in the past that its not the ideal time to deliver new ready to ship products (January).

Hence, we will see new iPods, a new iTunes with social networking features (akin to Doubletwist), and possibly support for BlueRay. We WILL also see the final and available now Snow Leopard which will add support for BlueRay to all Mac desktop's and laptop's if indeed BlueRay is coming! It is not a huge exception therefore to hear also that iMac's, etc... are now shipping with BlueRay drives....

OOOOHHH I almost forgot one last thing! - the return of Steve to the spotlight so expect this event to be pack some major punch! (not necessarily a tablet)

The September event might be about to morph into a Major Apple event to position it for the holiday season....

I add this is all pure speculation on my part, but given the rumors, the orders that Apple have been placing and Apple pulling out of MacWorld, all this is possible.

Grab the popcorn!!!