Apple's annual music media event rumored for early September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPodTouchGuy View Post

The new iPod event is always, without fail, the second Tuesday in September. I've had September 8th marked on my calendar for months now

Yes but this year the 7th is Labor day, ans Apple usually likes their events on the second working day of the week. So my guess would be Wednesday 9th.

As others have mentioned this happily coincides with the Beatles going digital release on 9/9/09.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

They announced the iPhone SIX months ahead of it's release....

Why would they?

Peace out.

The reason it was announced six months early was because they had to submit it to regulators for approval given that it was a new communication device for mobile networks. They didn't want a third party announcing it via the submission documents which are made public as a matter of course. If you recall this happened in March....

As for your point about a commercial, there is something in it but not necessarily a tablet. Could be an add for new "rumored" social networking feature in iTunes and iPod camera integration....
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am always amazed at how few leaks there are. I know that Apple is famous for keeping things buttoned up, but with all the third party accessories being designed, mocked up, fabricated, tested, package and ad-designed months in advance. And with lots of that work being outsourced. It's amazing that there aren't more leaks.

Yea, I'm surprised there haven't been any blurry photos of fake iTablet boxes in elevators.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It also suggests that Apple is bound to disappoint if it doesn't unveil its long-rumored tablet device. Despite some speculation, AppleInsider does not expect the tablet to appear at the event.

No it doesn't.

it suggests there will be new iPods, new iTunes, etc. I don't know how the hell any tablet figures into this.

if you've been following the iTablet rumors lately...they've been stating that this rumored tablet will be no better than a large-format iPod Touch, with advanced multi-tasking and processing power. That's it. So if they announce it in September, it would fit into the iPod category, since September is usually the month for that stuff. Computers and other hardware seem to be announced at Macworld in January.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I never understood the logic of announcing/releasing a new product on January, right after the biggest shopping season of the year.

Then again maybe that's why Steve J. sits on his desk and I sit on mine.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by handbrake View Post

The reason it was announced six months early was because they had to submit it to regulators for approval given that it was a new communication device for mobile networks. They didn't want a third party announcing it via the submission documents which are made public as a matter of course. If you recall this happened in March....

As for your point about a commercial, there is something in it but not necessarily a tablet. Could be an add for new "rumored" social networking feature in iTunes and iPod camera integration....

I agree, this commercial could be for anything. If you examine Apple's past commercials. The iPod commercials and the iPhone Commercials. They usually focus solely on the product, maybe a hand model or a silhouette or two. This new commercial that was filmed in Texas was rumored to have a LOT of people (especially kids and young adults) in it. That would lead me to believe it's for some other new product. My guess would be this new social networking feature since the kids love the "face place" and they like to "twaut". It could also be fore Snow Lep., or for a new updated iPods or Touch, or just about anything releated, even Cocktail.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avalo995 View Post

yeah same. I just hope that Apple does something really amazing to make the ZuneHD look like a piece of crap.

To do that they just have to show up on Sept 8!
  • Reply 28 of 43
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I never understood the logic of announcing/releasing a new product on January, right after the biggest shopping season of the year.

Then again maybe that's why Steve J. sits on his desk and I sit on mine.

I think the very fact that you are sitting on your desk ...
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I agree, this commercial could be for anything. If you examine Apple's past commercials. The iPod commercials and the iPhone Commercials. They usually focus solely on the product, maybe a hand model or a silhouette or two. This new commercial that was filmed in Texas was rumored to have a LOT of people (especially kids and young adults) in it. That would lead me to believe it's for some other new product. My guess would be this new social networking feature since the kids love the "face place" and they like to "twaut". It could also be fore Snow Lep., or for a new updated iPods or Touch, or just about anything releated, even Cocktail.

I know I'm splitting hairs here but, "the kids" aren't the big users of facebook or twitter. The latest reports are a surprise given that the youth audience is the majority user of the internet in general. However, both facebook and twitter have a larger share of users +25. It would seem "old people" like to assuage their closet Twittering and "Facebooking" by perpetuating the "kids love the twitter" myth.

To get back on topic, that's why we would see Social Networking integrated into Itunes; because it's a universal feature that's not just tied to one age bracket. If it were a feature only 14 yr old kids were into, I don't think Apple would care.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Hi,

I'm thinking (and hoping) that Apple will announce an iTunes subscription service. It's the future.

Spotify (www.spotify.com) is enjoying tremendous success in the handful of European countries where it's available. In Sweden, the major labels now get more revenue from Spotify than iTunes.

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Cocktail - a mix of music and social networking where users using iTunes interact to discuss an artists latest release, while at the some time building online relationship with other users having similar interests in music.

The commercial recently shot in Texas is about interaction with passers by (social networking), in a diner where music jukeboxes are common place!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I know I'm splitting hairs here but, "the kids" aren't the big users of facebook or twitter. The latest reports are a surprise given that the youth audience is the majority user of the internet in general. However, both facebook and twitter have a larger share of users +25. It would seem "old people" like to assuage their closet Twittering and "Facebooking" by perpetuating the "kids love the twitter" myth.

To get back on topic, that's why we would see Social Networking integrated into Itunes; because it's a universal feature that's not just tied to one age bracket. If it were a feature only 14 yr old kids were into, I don't think Apple would care.

you obviously couldn't see my sad attempt to be funny, with the intentional mis-wordings of Facebook and Twitter, the second of which was paraphrased by Steven Colbert.

Must have hit a nerve with you, sorry. Go roll up another one, Mr. Spliff, and chill.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Apple will stay away from the week of Sept. 7th as that is the week of Labor Day.

More likely to be held the following week.

There is nothing wrong with Apple holding the event the day after Labor Day. As a matter of fact, I believe that's what they've done the previous few years.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Here's the obligatory maybe-they'll-finally-release-the-Beatles-on-itunes speculative post. Especially with Cocktail, then EMI might be more willing to release the albums.

I have similar posts prewritten for the next 5 years.

You know that all the Beatles music has finally been remastered, and it will be available on CD on September 9th. That's what I'm waiting for.

I think the remastering has been one of the hold-ups in getting the music to iTunes, but the bigger delay is undoubtedly the dispute between EMI and the Beatles over what royalties the Beatles will be paid for online sales. I don't know that they've solved that problem, but if they have it wouldn't be surprising to see the music available at the same time (or shortly after) on iTunes.

I'd still suggest going with the CDs, though - most of them (the single CDs) are $12.99 on Amazon. The remastering should be amazing.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Go roll up another one, Mr. Spliff, and chill.

I think you meant "Mr. Monkey."
  • Reply 36 of 43
    I only own one Apple product - 3GS. It is good they will (allegedly & hopefully) make an iPod touch with a camera. If so, it would be very smart give it at least 5mp and not the 3.2mp like the iPhone. AND make it record video... that will definitely compete with "real" digital cameras and on a lower extent the FlipHD. But until the touch goes HD, it can't be a strong FlipHD competitor, maybe next year for the touch. Add 5mp cam & video, why would a low-end user buy a "real" digital cam for every day use, the touch will give you so much.

I look forward to the new OS, maybe next year I can save my $ to buy one of next years new MBP's (I like Mac, but so expensive, must save first). Have one at work and like it a lot.

:later.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I don't know where you get this from.

Because one party put out some weak unfounded speculation that the tablet will arrive in September, it will be "disappointing" if they don't?

You guys don't even believe this yourselves. Why stoke the idiots by promoting "disappointment" you don't yourselves even believe would be justified?

He's right.

The tablet in September makes no sense. There aren't enough substantial rumors about the actual device yet (LCD flat panel and other component deliveries, combo 3G/4G networking chips, availability of 4G networks, fuzzy snapshots of housings/third-party cases, alleged screenshots, etc.).

Frankly, Apple needs to ship the new iPod touch, ship Snow Leopard, and possibly finalize work on a new OS for mid-range devices: the alleged tablet, it could be a full rewrite of the Apple TV OS (which is based on 10.4 Tiger and getting long in tooth). The iTunes Store would need to be revamped for tablet apps, QuickTime streaming over HTTP would need to be very robust, etc.

For all these reasons, it makes far more sense that a tablet would debut early next year, not in a few weeks.

The other scenario I could imagine Apple doing is a "sneak preview" of the tablet if FCC filings would result in disclosure of the product's existence before it's ready to ship (Apple did this with the first iPhone), but it still wouldn't ship until earlier next year.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thejohnsonfactor View Post

They wouldn't risk doing it on Sep. 8th since the promotion is still available.

Since it is only August 13th, how do you know, "the promotion is still available", (present tense) in 3 1/2 weeks?

And Apple did continue the Back-To-School promotion for the free iPod mini when they introduced the iPod nano 4 years ago.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I think you meant "Mr. Monkey."

What, Ballmer's in here?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It is largely speculated that the tablet would run iPhoneOS which makes it an iDevice, all of which stem from the iPod. A tablet in this sense could be considered an expansion of the iPod line.

STFU! A 10-inch sized tablet with iPhone OS is a FRIGGIN WASTE OF HARDWARE, as I said countless times ¬¬