Apple releases DNS security update for Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A new update from Apple for numerous versions of Mac OS X is designed to protect systems against remote attacks that could cause DNS servers to unexpectedly terminate.

Entitled Security Update 2009-004, the software patch is available for download via Software Update. The update is recommended for Mac OS X 10.5.8, Mac OS X Server 10.5.8, Mac OS X 10.4.11, and Mac OS X Server 10.5.8. Updates are also available directly from Apple for Server Tiger Power PC (130.97MB), Server Tiger Universal (204MB), Leopard (166MB), Tiger Intel (166MB), and Tiger Power PC (130MB).

Apple states that hackers can send a message update to the BIND DNS server, allowing a remote attacker to interrupt BIND service. A "logic issue" in the operating system's handling of DNS update messages can "cause an assertion to be triggered."

"The issue affects servers which are masters for one or more zones, regardless of whether they accept updates," Apple states. "BIND is included with Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server but it is not enabled by default. This update addresses the issue by properly rejecting messages with a record of type 'ANY' where an assertion would previously have been raised."

Also Wednesday, Apple released updates for AirPort and Boot Camp. The AirPort Client update addresses an issue with the device's performance while running on battery power on some Intel-based machines, while Multi-Touch Trackpad update version 1.1 for Windows XP and Vista improves reliability while using Microsoft's operating systems on a Mac via Boot Camp.

Last week Apple released an upgrade to its Max OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system. Version 10.5.8 included security fixes, improved Bluetooth reliability, and upgraded Safari to version 4.0.2. Safari 4.0.3 was released Wednesday with a handful of minor fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    It's the month of the updates I bet we have 15 more before the end of the month

Edit: First Post
  • Reply 2 of 12
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    I had just checked for updates 27 minutes ago (22:48 h my time) and there was nothing. Minutes later Apple releases an update...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    The reported sizes are off. I download the Leopard update and it's only 10.7 MB.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I had just checked for updates 27 minutes ago (22:48 h my time) and there was nothing. Minutes later Apple releases an update...

spooky
  • Reply 5 of 12
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Good to know someone is watching your back. Keep up Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Safari is definitely snappier.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

I would think a Premiere product like Mac would not have so many security patches. I think this is the 27 patch this year. What did i pay the extra money for.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

I would think a Premiere product like Mac would not have so many security patches. I think this is the 27 patch this year. What did i pay the extra money for.

Free patches.

BTW, it's 169 Mb on my 10.4.11 Mac Mini. I just finished installing

security update #3 last night and it was also 169 Mb
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Free patches.

BTW, it's 169 Mb on my 10.4.11 Mac Mini. I just finished installing

security update #3 last night and it was also 169 Mb

Windows has free patches.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Windows has free patches.

No, the patch for Windows Vista, named Windows 7 is a few hundred dollars depending upon version.

And Vista is so darn stupid, you can be in the process of updating the OS and then the stupid bubbles pop-up telling you there are updates available.

When you launch 'check for updates', it tells you your up to date, even when your not.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

You didn't pay any extra money, just compare the specification of your Mac next to a near same quality PC and you'll find they are about the same.

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...05_lt2800.html

As you can see by this sites examples, your getting a much superior computer and operating system with a Mac.

The misconception is that Mac's are expensive, which they are not. It's just that Apple doesn't produce low quality computers like PC makers do.

Low quality computers suck, they break more often, require more repair and have faster turnover. Which costs more over time. Fine if your into fixing your own box, if you can that is. Getting specialized parts can be a problem.

Apple doesn't go in this direction, it pollutes the brand. That's why PC companies come and go, because they go after market share with cheaper and cheaper computers and cut corners left and right. They don't spend money on R&D to create better computers and devices for people to buy.

My Mac's have lasted years longer than my friends PC's, less problems and still no malware. I also upgrade my expensive software less often. With Windows, it's like every time you need a new computer you get a new OS, and have to buy software all over again.

So you see the value cycle of hell that Windows is causing, it's like throwing nails on a road in front of your tire repair business.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

You didn't pay any extra money, just compare the specification of your Mac next to a near same quality PC and you'll find they are about the same.

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...05_lt2800.html

As you can see by this sites examples, your getting a much superior computer and operating system with a Mac.

The misconception is that Mac's are expensive, which they are not. It's just that Apple doesn't produce low quality computers like PC makers do.

Low quality computers suck, they break more often, require more repair and have faster turnover. Which costs more over time. Fine if your into fixing your own box, if you can that is. Getting specialized parts can be a problem.

Apple doesn't go in this direction, it pollutes the brand. That's why PC companies come and go, because they go after market share with cheaper and cheaper computers and cut corners left and right. They don't spend money on R&D to create better computers and devices for people to buy.

My Mac's have lasted years longer than my friends PC's, less problems and still no malware. I also upgrade my expensive software less often. With Windows, it's like every time you need a new computer you get a new OS, and have to buy software all over again.

So you see the value cycle of hell that Windows is causing, it's like throwing nails on a road in front of your tire repair business.

In my experience the quality of the macs (especially Laptops) are no better than PC. They break just as often. The user interface for a Mac is better, but that gap is closing quickly. Plus, the PC have lots more nice options like Blu-Ray, fingerprint logon, colors, much cheaper memory, accepts many more Camera memory cards. PCs also have more price choices, if i want an expensive laptop i can buy it, if i want an inexpensive laptop i can buy it.