Apple's board to meet next week to discuss vacant seat

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following the departure of Google executive Eric Schmidt from the Apple Board of Directors, the company's governing body will reportedly convene next Tuesday to ponder a replacement.

The news comes from a source familiar with the matter who spoke with The Wall Street Journal. It would be a special meeting for the board, which typically only meets four times a year.

Schmidt resigned recently resigned from the Apple board, citing a conflict of interest as his own company ventures into the smartphone market with Android, and soon the PC operating system world with the upcoming Chrome OS. His presence with both companies had already sparked a Federal Trade Commission investigation -- one that remains ongoing because Arthur Levinson, former CEO of Genentech, also serves on the boards.

Since the Google chief's departure, speculation has arisen as to who might replace his seat. Many have pointed, as the Journal's report did, to Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook. He has held that position since October of 2005.

In the wake of Schmidt's departure, it was revealed that Google and Apple shared an agreement to not poach each others' employees, which may have sparked an antitrust investigation from the U.S. Justice Department.

Prior to his resignation, Schmidt already had to recuse himself from board meetings that involved iPhone plans, many of which would clash with Google's own attempts to promote its Android mobile operating system. Though the Google executive was adamant that the two companies don't occupy the same markets, the FTC is still investigating the Apple-Google link for a possible violation of antitrust laws through unfair collaboration.

Tension has also mounted between Google and Apple in recent weeks, as the iPhone-maker rejected the Google Voice application, as well as third-party software that used the free service, from the App Store. That event has since sparked an FCC investigation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Prediction (perhaps a fairly obvious one): Tim Cook is formally elevated to CEO and joins the Board, Steve Jobs becomes Chairman of the Board, and no other outsider replacement for Schmidt.......
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    me... me... me...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No, me!...me!...me!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    I'm here all week and reachable by cell on the weekend - I'll leave the cell on. As long as the meetings end early enough to hit Fuki Sushi in Palo, we're good.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I'm willing to clear my schedule.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    In the first sentence of Al Gore's Bio it says he is a Senior Advisor to Google since 2001. If Schmidt had to go then why is Al Gore still on the Board? I think he should resign as well.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrcopper View Post

In the first sentence of Al Gore's Bio it says he is a Senior Advisor to Google since 2001. If Schmidt had to go then why is Al Gore still on the Board? I think he he should resign as well.

Gee...

I wonder why the FCC is investigating the relationship.

And by the way, if the Green Apple in Snow Kitty is really the new logo. Al Gore's house and Apple are about as Green as a toxic waste site.

Do the research. They are at the bottom of the toxic barrel.

Edit. My vote is for Bill Gates for Apple's new board member they don't even begin to compete with Microsoft in the computer Arena so it would likely be legal.

Apple is in the Gaming industry and Microsoft is everything else.

Better hope the new iTABLET has multi-tasking because every one has been doing it for the last 5 years at least.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrcopper View Post

In the first sentence of Al Gore's Bio it says he is a Senior Advisor to Google since 2001. If Schmidt had to go then why is Al Gore still on the Board? I think he should resign as well.

The appearance of any conflict is much less with Gore than Schmidt, and "Senior Advisor" isn't exactly CEO or director. Gore doesn't necessarily get any information from Google since he's the one doing the advising. In that capacity, Gore would not share Apple information with Google.

If Gore had to choose between Apple and Google, it would be more logical to sever his ties to Google.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    If Levinson is on Google Board and Apple Board, where is his loyalty. Will he reveal what was discussed at an Apple Board meeting to the Google tribe or vice versa? Will he use his knowledge at Apple to guide his compatriots at Google when they are making decisions?

Levinson can not serve 2 masters and be loyal to both. It is bad for Apple, especially. He needs to resign or be forced to go. This is like sleeping with your best friend's wife. It never works. It is a big NO!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If Levinson is on Google Board and Apple Board, where is his loyalty. Will he reveal what was discussed at an Apple Board meeting to the Google tribe or vice versa? Will he use his knowledge at Apple to guide his compatriots at Google when they are making decisions?

Levinson can not serve 2 masters and be loyal to both. It is bad for Apple, especially. He needs to resign or be forced to go. This is like sleeping with your best friend's wife. It never works. It is a big NO!

He'll probably be asked to make a choice as Apple's and Google's relationships are still being investigated and partially because of him.

I can see Tim Cook taking the CEO spot from Jobs and Jobs left with Chairman of the Board. It would be a natural transition as Tim had been at the helm for a bit. The second opening would be more interesting to fill as no one could speculate on who would be a good fit.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    My tuppence: it'll be someone from the movie or TV industry.

With Eric Schmidt's departure Apple don't have to tiptoe around Google's toes anymore (or vice versa) and I think I can guess what that big server farm they're building is for...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    If they want an actual 20-year Mac user.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It wouldn't be a bad job; they only do things on Tuesdays.
  • Reply 14 of 14