If you ride a motorcycle DON'T BUY an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

i ride motorcycles and i own an iphone. i don't think i have the desire to be talking on my cell phone while i'm riding.s

Same here. And I do tour with it. I don't even feed the audio from my GPS into my helmet. I do frequently use an iPod (160 GB Classic) on longer rides though, but wired, with Etymotic IEMs.

Back to your problem...perhaps the iPhone 3.0 announcement on Tuesday will help?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    I recently purchased the iPhone 3GS, and I ride a 2006 VTX 1300 Custom. I found the perfect match for using ALL of the iPhone's functions while riding (phone AND iPod): the Chatterbox XBi2 bluetooth headset. Normal price in the stores is about $229, but if you check with your local motorcycle dealers, you might find them on sale, like I did. I managed to get a brand new one for $187, tax included. You also might find them on eBaY or some other online sellers. The XBi2 is A2DP compliant, as is the iPhone 3GS, so I'm able to use all the functions of the iPhone. Oh, and I don't have to worry about breaking the law by having headphones stuck in my ears sine the XBi2 comes with helmet speakers. You just have to make sure the speakers are placed properly, or you'll have problems hearing them. They need to be positioned direclty over the ear. When positioned properly, you can enjoy your tunes or make/receive calls doing 80 with no problems in a full-face helmet (I use the open-face helmet version, I like having the boom and it's got a better windsock). I'm still learning all the ins and outs of the XBi2, but it's supposed to have VOX commands, as does the 3GS. Anyway, it's a great match for the iPhone, and costs a lot less than $1,000. Just make sure it's the XBi2, not the original XBi, as the original is not A2DP compliant.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I love this phone but I have gotten to the point I wished I never purchased it. As a motorcycle rider in today communications age you want to be able to use your phone on your motorcycle. For the millions of Harley owners out there in the world this phone will not interface into your bikes com systems like so many other phones can on the market.

Because of it's non standard headset jack many other third party products also can't be used without spending 1000.00+ dollars and doing custom changes to make it work.

Why Apple did not put the basic industry standard bluetooth profile support is just beyond me. You don't even have the option to set the phone to auto answer in hands free mode while using a headset.

Like I said I love this phone but my love for riding is much bigger so this phone is going in drawer or going to be given to my wife and a replacement is in the works for me. I just wish I would of stayed with my other phone company

Ah, motorcycles.

This post translates to me as, "I prefer to be in a constant state of 'almost-dying' while getting from point A to point B, so I choose riding a motorcycle over using an iPhone."

Brilliant.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Ah, motorcycles.

This post translates to me as, "I prefer to be in a constant state of 'almost-dying' while getting from point A to point B, so I choose riding a motorcycle over using an iPhone."

Brilliant.

I don't want a pickle...
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Using the Bluetooth feature on your iPhone and wireless headset will work fine for both Phone and music. We use chatterbox between myself and passenger.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I thought it was bad when I saw heavy equipment operators yacking on phones. Then the MBTA driver crashing while texting on a phone. Now you're telling me people talk on phones on motorcycles? I mean I talk minimally in my car, but still...on a motorcycle?! That's beyond stupid. It's suicidal. Now I have to watch out for people like you. I mean what is more important, having fun or not dying and taking out others with you on the highway? What are you, NUTS?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    So I'm gonna guess that this whole thread will be for those who ride on motorcycles and use iPhones..
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike In SATX View Post

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="5"]I snip the large font..

Pretty large fonts make browsing through posts a scary process.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Pretty large fonts make browsing through posts a scary process.

I agree, I took it out. In my opinion, it's almost never really appropriate to use font size like that on a forum. I think changing the font is a bit odd too, but I left that.

Also, holy zombie thread resurrection. The thread was dormant for a year before someone made a post March of this year. On one hand, it's good to get the discussion continuity without having lots of similar threads, on the other, people usually don't pay attention to date stamps, so the reader might be reading wildly obsolete information and not realize it. Oh well.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, I took it out. In my opinion, it's almost never really appropriate to use font size like that on a forum. I think changing the font is a bit odd too, but I left that.

Also, holy zombie thread resurrection. The thread was dormant for a year before someone made a post March of this year. On one hand, it's good to get the discussion continuity without having lots of similar threads, on the other, people usually don't pay attention to date stamps, so the reader might be reading wildly obsolete information and not realize it. Oh well.

Oh YEAH! I just noticed it.. Thanks Jeff..

< Toddles off to post in extremely old threads ( iPhone 2007 rumors ) .. >
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I ride a 1200cc Buell. I own and use an iPhone with stock wired earbuds. Works great. With full face helmet noise is minimal and its a breeze to answer calls, etc. I don't place calls while riding though as I value my life.

Also use the TomTom app for iPhone which gives me turn by turn through the earbuds and it is simply awesome.

To sum up, unless you're a total douche, the iphone + motorcycle riding works splendidly.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

I love this phone but I have gotten to the point I wished I never purchased it. As a motorcycle rider in today communications age you want to be able to use your phone on your motorcycle. For the millions of Harley owners out there in the world this phone will not interface into your bikes com systems like so many other phones can on the market.

Because of it's non standard headset jack many other third party products also can't be used without spending 1000.00+ dollars and doing custom changes to make it work.

Why Apple did not put the basic industry standard bluetooth profile support is just beyond me. You don't even have the option to set the phone to auto answer in hands free mode while using a headset.

Like I said I love this phone but my love for riding is much bigger so this phone is going in drawer or going to be given to my wife and a replacement is in the works for me. I just wish I would of stayed with my other phone company

Sounds like a business opportunity for Harley and Apple to offer a set up to satisfy Harley and extend Apple's options.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Gizmo-xl first posted this in Feb. of 2008 , way before the 3GS and OS 3.x and Voice Control.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtndude99 View Post

I ride a 1200cc Buell. I own and use an iPhone with stock wired earbuds. Works great. With full face helmet noise is minimal and its a breeze to answer calls, etc. I don't place calls while riding though as I value my life.

Also use the TomTom app for iPhone which gives me turn by turn through the earbuds and it is simply awesome.

To sum up, unless you're a total douche, the iphone + motorcycle riding works splendidly.

I currently have the same setup...but about to upgrade to the Nolan helmet with the N-Com Bluetooth...I would highly recommend that for wireless calls and music.

I am also considering of mounting a bracket onto the handlebars so I can view incoming calls and even GPS...

I got a 1203cc x-1 lightning....
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Ok, so I've been reading this thread for a while now and can finally post. This is a bit of shameless self-promotion, albeit with an app I think many bikers with iPhones/iPod touches will find useful.

I've just released an iPhone app for bikers called Greatest Road. It helps bikers to find and exchange great places to ride. It's a pretty intuitive interface - you open the app to a map, slide and zoom to where you want, and ask for the app to show you routes in the area that other bikers have added. Each road stretch is rated on how fun, twisty and scenic it is and how good the road surface is.

You can send each stretch by email to a friend with the app on another iPhone or email it as a gpx file to yourself or others so you can load it on a standalone GPS device.

The app works across the U.S. and around the world (wherever Google Maps can see roads and give routing information).

The app is more about finding and choosing roads and exchanging directions with riding buddies than it is about providing en route directions. We hand off to the built-in Maps app but TomTom, Motion-X Drive, MobileNavigator and others are all good choices for that.

If you're interested, check out http://greatestroad.com/ .

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Best regards,

Daniel
  • Reply 36 of 44
    That about says it all to me....

I use my iphone as a phone, voice guidance navigation, digital radio, mp3 player, Market ticker, and the list goes on and on and on.....

The brilliance of the iphone is that you can do anything with it as long as you are smart enough to figure out how.... you need to ask for help instead of giving up and getting an inferior phone.... that's like getting an inferior bike... oops....
  • Reply 37 of 44
    I'm a rider and I have an iPhone and I don't care if it doesn't link with the comm system that I don't use anyway.

Aside from my normal (lengthy) riding, I've got 2 Saddlesore 1000's under my belt without talking even once on a cellphone while riding. For me there is a time to talk on the phone and a time to ride and those two times never intersect.

'06 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

That is your choice. But it is not mine. I like to listen to music while I ride and and also be able to talk to others while I ride and this phone makes it very hard to do that.

The problem is that you titled the thread "IF you ride a motorcycle, DON'T BUY an iPhone". You should expect to get comments back about why your problem doesn't apply to everyone else (necessarily).
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Ah, motorcycles.

Brilliant.

Completely false.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    I'm looking to accomplish two things:

1) Mount the iPhone on a Bike WITH power... To keep the example simple, assume I just want to use it for GPS / Turn by Turn.

2) Edit Routes on a PC, where I can really get specific so TomTom (or similar app) will take the exact route I want, not just use its own algorithm to go between two places.

Ideally, I'd edit routes in Google Maps, or Trace Your Route Everywhere, which works with all standalone TomToms.

However, if I need other tools or apps, I'm fine with that. I just don't want to edit detailed routes with lots of turns in an iPhone. A PC is MUCH easier.

Anyway, if someone can provide details on mounting with power (where to get mounts, how to wire, etc...) and / or the map import problem, I'd sure be grateful.

Thanks!

Eric.