New to Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm a PC person, though I've decided to switch to a Mac. I'm waiting for Snow Leopard to be released in September before I pick up my MBP. My question is what is the release date? I've only been able to find that it happens in September.

I plan on getting my MBP through the Apple Store, so any ideas on how long it takes to get the computer once I've purchased it?

Also, any suggested sites on how best to make the switch? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Methos View Post

I'm a PC person, though I've decided to switch to a Mac. I'm waiting for Snow Leopard to be released in September before I pick up my MBP. My question is what is the release date? I've only been able to find that it happens in September.

I plan on getting my MBP through the Apple Store, so any ideas on how long it takes to get the computer once I've purchased it?

Apple's site is a great site for switchers. They have video demos that will help accomplish what you're looking for. Also, for $99 a year, you can receive One-on-One training at an Apple store. You can buy this great deal at checkout. Further, many Apple stores offer theatre like training to groups of people on many of their iLife applications. And finally, you can subscribe to Lynda.com who have great web based screen casts on not only Apple products but many others.

Apple has made no announcement as to the release date for Snow Leopard other than "September"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    You can get a mac now and receive Snow Leopard when it is released for free, save for a small shipping fee. But waiting isn't bad idea. When you upgrade OS, you still have all the apps from the old OS, which can be a pain deleting. That's what happened to me. Plus, it's rumored that the iMac line is going to get some pretty dandy upgrades in the near future, probably at the same time as the yearly iPod upgrades. I know, I know, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    It seems like to me (on the PC side anyway), that you tend to gain problems when you upgrade the OS, so I figured rather then see if Macs were the same way, I'd just play it safe and wait until the new OS comes pre-installed. Do Macs also share this problem?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I always clean install on all my computers regardless of platform. I don't even use any of those "files and settings" transfer utilities out there I copy all my data back manually and re-do settings manually. Spending the extra time doing this I think has helped me avoid any major issues with any of my multi-platform computing environment
  • Reply 5 of 14
    nccyrnccyr Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Apple has made no announcement as to the release date for Snow Leopard other than "September"

To repeat something mentioned on another thread, the upgrade offer has usually extended 90 days before release, and this time it begins June 8th. Therefore release has to be no later than September 6th in order to keep this upgrade window.

Just something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Also, it may be a little while before new machines come with 10.6 preinstalled, since there's the production pipeline to consider--the machines that'll be on sale Sept. 6th might already have been manufactured and imaged with 10.5.x. The best bet might be to go to an Apple retail store, if that's an available option for you, and inquire directly.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:

It seems like to me (on the PC side anyway), that you tend to gain problems when you upgrade the OS... Do Macs also share this problem?

In my experience, the answer is no. I use Software Update (included in the OS) to check for, download, and install all Apple updates that I'm interested in. I've never had a problem in that regard. It should be noted that I adopted OSX at 10.5.1 and have only updated the OS and Apple's Safari web browser. Some people have reported problems using Software Update, but it doesn't seem to be a hot topic on forums like this. Others are super-cautious. Your call...

Moving from OS 10.5.8 to 10.6 or higher might require a disc. But, you'll get it on the cheap.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

It seems like to me (on the PC side anyway), that you tend to gain problems when you upgrade the OS, so I figured rather then see if Macs were the same way, I'd just play it safe and wait until the new OS comes pre-installed. Do Macs also share this problem?

I've used nearly every release of Mac OS since System 6 days (excluding only OS 8) and never had a snag upgrading the OS.

Personally I recommend buying very close to the release - you'll be entitled to the Up To Date programme which will mean you'll get Leopard on the Mac then pay $10 or so for the upgrade. That way you'll get the choice of OS.. the well improved 10.5.8 Leopard or the improvements SL brings.

Personally I still have 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 on my iMac (bought deliberately in the month before Leopard landed so I qualified for the UTD programme).

Although all that said since SL is going to only cost $29 I suppose there's a fair chance they won't bother with an UTD programme since the OS is sooo cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

I'm a PC person, though I've decided to switch to a Mac.

Excellent plan!

You'll wish you'd done that years ago!

Quote:

The last 10 Macs I bought I walked right out of the store with. They are usually in store.

Quote:

For you as a switcher it's super easy: take your PC to the Apple store and the Genius will transfer all your files to your brandnew MBP for you, while you get a cup of coffee.

Tip: retain your Windows OS and your Windows software apps. You can run all that on your MBP too. Simultaneously with MacOSX and its apps. And side-by-side on-screen if you like. Either natively, in BootCamp (and then your MBP will be the fastest Windows running laptop on the market!), or in a virtual machine (Parallels, VMware Fusion, or – FREE – VirtualBox), or even completely without installing Windows: in CrossOver (doesn't work with all Windoze apps, though).

Why wait to get that MBP? Get it now, complete with Leopard and iLife, and get all your Windows files transferred. And get cracking! Then, when Snow Leopard ships (FREE for you) you stick its DVD in your MBP, click a few buttons, and upgrade. As simple as that.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

The last 10 Macs I bought I walked right out of the store with. They are usually in store.

My apologies. I meant I would be buying it through the online Apple store. The nearest physical store is 2.5 hours away.

Quote:

Why wait to get that MBP?

My understanding (at least with Windows machines), is its best not to upgrade a machine to a new OS, as it tends to cause problems, so I thought it would be best to play it safe and wait and buy it with SL on it. Though I must admit, I have been very tempted to purchase it now. Hehe.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

My apologies. I meant I would be buying it through the online Apple store. The nearest physical store is 2.5 hours away.

My understanding (at least with Windows machines), is its best not to upgrade a machine to a new OS, as it tends to cause problems, so I thought it would be best to play it safe and wait and buy it with SL on it. Though I must admit, I have been very tempted to purchase it now. Hehe.

I agree with you.

Wait until Snow Leopard is a several months out of the gate and then go buy a new Mac.

Your new to Mac's, and new OS's have a few bugs which can take time to work out, from Apple and third party software developers. Plug-ins and printer drivers/software (customized ones like for All-in-one-printers) all take time to get redesigned. These headaches can destroy the "new to Mac" seamless experience and leave you with a bad first time evaluation. Microsoft and Adobe are especially slow to update their software, rather waiting for a paid update, so you go without in the meanwhile or use one with bug working with the new OS.

You need time to get used to OS X and spending that time under duress with a new OS headaches is no way to come to the Mac experience. Snow Leopard doesn't really have that many new changes on the surface that you can't afford to wait for, but the underneath changes can cause you a lot of problems.

For instance, Apple provides iLife software package free on all new Mac's and the original OS install disks that come with the machine. But not on OS upgrade disks and not on paid for OS disks. You'll see the problems this can cause later on as I explain.

What usually happens is after a OS upgrade, later the iLife Suite is upgraded, but you upgraded from Leopard, so you got the older iLife. It will still work, but to get new features of the newer iLife, you'll have to pay to upgrade that of course on separate disks again.

Separated disks causes problems when you need to boot/reinstall your OS and iLife applications.

For instance, say your hard drive is refusing to boot. So you insert the Leopard OS install disk and "hold C" and boot from it to run Disk Utility on the boot disk. But because the boot disk has Snow Leopard on it, you might not be able to do anything because your using a older OS to try to fix a newer one. Apple usually has safeguards against doing that.

Also it's possible that once you upgrade to Snow Leopard, changes to EFI (our BIO's) and/or video drivers, you might not be able to run a older OS or boot from Leopard OS install disks to begin with. Leaving you with no other boot method if your hard drive goes down and no original source of OS. So if you backed up your data and decided to just reinstall the OS, you might not be able to do that. You would have to buy the full retail version of Snow Leopard and the new iLife or bring your Mac into a Apple Store and have them resolve your problem. (and yes they "look around" your hard drive and your browsing history of course. Mac's are good for surfing and collecting pr0n, but you might not want to share that, heehee. Wipe your history, cookies and store files on disk instead

Now there is a solution to avoid any potential headaches.

Buy a Mac now, the MacBook Pro's just got a recent update, so you get the maximum hardware life.

Also the 15" (most popular model) just got a anti-glare screens (matte), a must if you take your laptop anywhere outside your darkened basement (just kidding) free of stray light sources. If you like glare and reflections and can handle the eyestrain and headaches, then buy the glossy. (pukes)

Leopard is solid stable and reliable. Updates for it will be available for many years. Third party software works, drivers work, printers work the whole world "just works" and it's security issues are worked out. With Snow Leopard nearly nothing works, because the OS hasn't been released yet!

Wait 6 months and then buy the Snow Leopard OS disks (not the upgrade disks) and the updated iLife Suite when it arrives. Clone your Leopard OS boot drive to another powered external firewire hard drive (use Carbon Copy Cloner) and then "hold C boot" from the Snow Leopard OS install disk, select Disk Utility and Erase with Zero your internal boot drive. Then quit and install Snow Leopard fresh and clean. Setup and then install the new iLife.

Hook up the Leopard clone and/or file backups (you do backup to disk right?) and pick it clean of files that you want to use with the new OS. (you can boot from a clone by "hold option key)

6 months you should be up to speed on OS X, it's like Windows, just things are laid out slightly different and works a hell of a lot better.

A fresh install of a new OS is always better than a upgrade in the long run.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I agree with you.

Wait until Snow Leopard is a several months out of the gate and then go buy a new Mac.

Your new to Mac's, and new OS's have a few bugs which can take time to work out, from Apple and third party software developers. Plug-ins and printer drivers/software (customized ones like for All-in-one-printers) all take time to get redesigned. These headaches can destroy the "new to Mac" seamless experience and leave you with a bad first time evaluation. Microsoft and Adobe are especially slow to update their software, rather waiting for a paid update, so you go without in the meanwhile or use one with bug working with the new OS.

You need time to get used to OS X and spending that time under duress with a new OS headaches is no way to come to the Mac experience. Snow Leopard doesn't really have that many new changes on the surface that you can't afford to wait for, but the underneath changes can cause you a lot of problems.

For instance, Apple provides iLife software package free on all new Mac's and the original OS install disks that come with the machine. But not on OS upgrade disks and not on paid for OS disks. You'll see the problems this can cause later on as I explain.

What usually happens is after a OS upgrade, later the iLife Suite is upgraded, but you upgraded from Leopard, so you got the older iLife. It will still work, but to get new features of the newer iLife, you'll have to pay to upgrade that of course on separate disks again.

Separated disks causes problems when you need to boot/reinstall your OS and iLife applications.

For instance, say your hard drive is refusing to boot. So you insert the Leopard OS install disk and "hold C" and boot from it to run Disk Utility on the boot disk. But because the boot disk has Snow Leopard on it, you might not be able to do anything because your using a older OS to try to fix a newer one. Apple usually has safeguards against doing that.

Also it's possible that once you upgrade to Snow Leopard, changes to EFI (our BIO's) and/or video drivers, you might not be able to run a older OS or boot from Leopard OS install disks to begin with. Leaving you with no other boot method if your hard drive goes down and no original source of OS. So if you backed up your data and decided to just reinstall the OS, you might not be able to do that. You would have to buy the full retail version of Snow Leopard and the new iLife or bring your Mac into a Apple Store and have them resolve your problem. (and yes they "look around" your hard drive and your browsing history of course. Mac's are good for surfing and collecting pr0n, but you might not want to share that, heehee. Wipe your history, cookies and store files on disk instead

Now there is a solution to avoid any potential headaches.

Buy a Mac now, the MacBook Pro's just got a recent update, so you get the maximum hardware life.

Also the 15" (most popular model) just got a anti-glare screens (matte), a must if you take your laptop anywhere outside your darkened basement (just kidding) free of stray light sources. If you like glare and reflections and can handle the eyestrain and headaches, then buy the glossy. (pukes)

Leopard is solid stable and reliable. Updates for it will be available for many years. Third party software works, drivers work, printers work the whole world "just works" and it's security issues are worked out. With Snow Leopard nearly nothing works, because the OS hasn't been released yet!

Wait 6 months and then buy the Snow Leopard OS disks (not the upgrade disks) and the updated iLife Suite when it arrives. Clone your Leopard OS boot drive to another powered external firewire hard drive (use Carbon Copy Cloner) and then "hold C boot" from the Snow Leopard OS install disk, select Disk Utility and Erase with Zero your internal boot drive. Then quit and install Snow Leopard fresh and clean. Setup and then install the new iLife.

Hook up the Leopard clone and/or file backups (you do backup to disk right?) and pick it clean of files that you want to use with the new OS. (you can boot from a clone by "hold option key)

6 months you should be up to speed on OS X, it's like Windows, just things are laid out slightly different and works a hell of a lot better.

A fresh install of a new OS is always better than a upgrade in the long run.

Imo you see far too many bears on the road, Tripper.

OSX ain't Windows, you know!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

No it's not. But there is a time when OS X doesn't perform like it should, it's because Apple beta tests new OS versions on the population.

When Leopard first came out, everyone called it "Leptard" because it was so unfinished and exploit prone.

It takes time for third party developers to get their code right for the new OS as well.

So for seasoned users, a OS update is nothing, we are the pioneers. But newbies and those who need their computers and devices to run for a business or something, they are better off waiting until all the pieces are in place and functioning before upgrading. Even if it costs a little more 6 months down the road, it's cheaper and less headache prone.

The same occurs on Windows.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Windows is a bag of monkey poop!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Windows is a bag of monkey poop!

I take it your familiar with either!