Possible third generation Apple iPod touch photos surface

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An extensive series of photos accompanied by a video claim to show the new upcoming iPod touch, complete with camera, expected to be announced at Apple's anticipated media event this September.

The new evidence, from the blog of The Covino & Rich Show, surfaced this week. While the initial low-quality pictures were met with skepticism, much of that appears to have died after numerous updates with better resolution photos and even a video of the purported device.

The report states that the person who sent the pictures claims to work for Apple, and the device was used for a "durability test," which is why it shows signs of damage. The device has a 2009 date on it, and the pictures include side-by-side comparisons with the 2008 model.

The submitter claims that the phone came from someone who deals phone and iPod parts. He said he believes Apple threw away the device and the dealer somehow obtained it and sold it for parts.

The pictures seem to support the design widely reported to be the new iPod touch, well before the latest pictures surfaced. Numerous third-party case photos have shown that the new update to the device will have a camera centered on its back, unlike the iPhone.

Further supporting the legitimacy of the new photos, some shots include a teardown of the device, showing its inner workings.

"For any blogs asking... this is not a stunt, at least not on our end," the site states. "As far as we know, these photos are 100 percent legit."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Apple threw it away? Who knew corporate espionage was so easy!
  • Reply 2 of 45
    I will never understand, in a million years, why this is a big deal. lol, seriously! It's the same form factor, for the same device! Everyone already knew about the camera, so who cares?!

"Oh my god, it's a photo of the new iPod Touch, and it look like, well, it looks like.... the old iPod Touch! With a camera! OOOoooOOOoOOoh!"

Seriously, leak me some photos of the tablet, then we'll talk. Geez.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Apple threw it away? Who knew corporate espionage was so easy!

Yea, I doubt it's real. Apple most likely destroys any prototype device themselves.

It looks like a PSP altered to be whatever they claim it is.

Not to hard to drill a hole in the back of a used case and stick a camera in there.

Silverback? That's so out of style now. Looks like it's been tumbled in a clothes dryer.

meh...
  • Reply 4 of 45
    So from now on Apple will not simply throw something away. They will have it shredded, mashed, crushed, destroyed and recycled. All because Steve Jobs could not possibly allow these kind of photos.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    thetoethetoe Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yea, I doubt it's real. Apple most likely destroys any prototype device themselves.

Not even "most likely." More like "absolutely." Either destroys or securely guards until release.

Apple is completely totalitarian in protecting their prototypes. Employees get both fired and sued for the slightest leak of an unannounced product.

It would be downright astounding if Apple simply tossed aside a major prototype like a next-gen Touch.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Anyone ever thought that maybe they said just tossed it away to protect themselves from the real way they acquired it? I am willing to bet it is a real type proto but I also highly doubt it was thrown away.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    I don't see why these pictures are a big deal either. This is no surprise to anyone, I don't think.

Seeing these pictures makes me realize how tired I am of the mirrored finish back of the iPods. They only exist to get scratched up, or for people to buy cases for them. I can't believe Apple's kept using them this long.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    y a w n
  • Reply 9 of 45
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    I thought at the very least Apple would use one of those blenders from http://www.willitblend.com/

A new camera isn't that exciting ... is it moving to OLED like the Zune, etc., etc.?

As much as I like to hear about new devices, it's that darn tablet I can't wait to see if it's real or not!
  • Reply 10 of 45
    jetsetjetset Posts: 18member
    i'm hoping for a newer sexy design. eff a camera I have a Canon DSLR. Give me 64GB and 802.11N.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

A new camera isn't that exciting ... is it moving to OLED like the Zune, etc., etc.?

I—and I would guess most people—find a camera (which will likely be video capable, which all but guarantees a built-in mic) more exciting (and useful) than an OLED display, let alone an "etc., etc."
  • Reply 12 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Really nothing more than a camera is not going to do it for this device. Frankly the GPS Nd compass duo would attrack more users. As would some other improvements I can think of.

One example, already mentioned, would be faster WiFi instead of the current throttled implementation. 128GB of flash would be nice too. I'm just concerned that this is to much of a simple rev and not enough of moving forward.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm really hoping for a major overhaul of the iPod line up. If this becomes the low end Touch and Apple delivers a ightly larger Touch based device I won't care one bit. I'm still advocating for a Newton 2 sized device. That is a wide screen device under seven inches diagonal.

This is very much an iPod device of the Touch mold but offering up a bigger screen. It needs to be carefully sized to allow easy carry on ones person. We aren't talking tablet here at all, rather something smaller and easier to handle.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 45
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

Not even "most likely." More like "absolutely." Either destroys or securely guards until release.

Apple is completely totalitarian in protecting their prototypes. Employees get both fired and sued for the slightest leak of an unannounced product.

It would be downright astounding if Apple simply tossed aside a major prototype like a next-gen Touch.

Well, Apple wouldn't of course just toss a prototype away, and they are the least likely of companies to make a mistake like that also.

This could easily be real though. All it would take is for one of the trusted holders of a prototype to simply claim they dropped it in a lake or whatever and Apple would have to believe them (at least until it turns up on a video on the net).

It should be fairly easy to identify who it was that has this device from the copious amount of info the videos show, so if it is real, it will be childs-play to find out which of their (formerly) trusted testers gave it up.

That's what's so dumb about the people that leak actual videos of products like this. Either they are making things up wholesale, in which case they are pretty much the lamest of the lame, or they are actually leaking something, in which case they are the typical American "moran" and equally lame.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really nothing more than a camera is not going to do it for this device. Frankly the GPS Nd compass duo would attrack more users. As would some other improvements I can think of....

I'm not sure this is the real thing or just a hoax, but the camera in these pictures and videos looks to have a bigger lens than the one on my 3G. Maybe the 3Gs is the same as this one, but it's possible that the iPod will get a better camera than the other devices.

Also, I would expect the compass to be included in this upgrade given that it would be more trouble to leave it out at this point.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    I have no problem believing a prototype could get out. Apple employees take them home all the time.

That doesn't mean this is real, or if it is real, that the story told is true. Apple wouldn't throw a proto in the trash- if one got out, it was stolen from someone.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Fake.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I don't think so.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple has been sloppy in the last few years. Their special events no longer surprise. Maybe that's a tactic on their part to distract from their real secrets, but who knows. My hopes are that that's true and they release an iPod Nano Touch (esquire) with camera that no know expected (except the camera bit).

When Steve retires let's hope he writes about the secrets at Apple that only he knows. That's a book I'd buy in a hurry.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    The camera drill down near the WIFI window is a little too rough for me. I call fake.

As for the Tablet...the Boy Genius Report has an interesting photo. Whatever. It keeps people talking, but let's wait and see. The gap between the glass and the bezel is too wide for me to think it's real.