mp3-player-in-a-x-hack?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Wouldn´t it be possible to make a MP3 player that used almost close to no ressources? With QT build into X I would guess it could be as simple as a program that fed X witht he right files at the right time. Of course you would not be able to decode, make visuals have a equalizer but that is not always needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I'm waiting to see someone do a direct port of winAMP/XMMS to OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont think an mp3 player could ever get to next-to-zero resources, becuase on macs the sound isn't in a separate chip [like on peecees]. so the decoding the mp3 to wav [or mp3 to whatever the speakers take it as] has to be done by the main proc.

also, there is an xmms avail within the x11 environment, which you can run on a mac [u can get it from fink]. i've gotten it to work, but i dropped it, becuase mp3 players suq without iTunes' search capabilities.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>i dont think an mp3 player could ever get to next-to-zero resources, becuase on macs the sound isn't in a separate chip [like on peecees].</strong><hr></blockquote>Bingo.

And yes, XMMS is yucky.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    While I know that the team behind SoundJam MP is currently working on iTunes, I would like to see an update of SoundJam for OS-X. IMHO, it was the greatest Mac audio player/encoder, ever.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>i dont think an mp3 player could ever get to next-to-zero resources, becuase on macs the sound isn't in a separate chip [like on peecees]. so the decoding the mp3 to wav [or mp3 to whatever the speakers take it as] has to be done by the main proc.

also, there is an xmms avail within the x11 environment, which you can run on a mac [u can get it from fink]. i've gotten it to work, but i dropped it, becuase mp3 players suq without iTunes' search capabilities.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know that XMMS is available through X11, but what people fail to mention all the time is that compared to being a native program running through X11 sucks. It would be better for me to trash OSX and run Linux if I wanted to use X11 all the time. And if you don't put all your mp3s into the player, and only add the ones you want to hear then you won't have a problem. And winamp/xmms has search btw ... I don't know what else you can addd to a search other than searching the ID3 tags and the file names/paths.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Bingo.

And yes, XMMS is yucky. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Would you also be implying that winAMP is yucky?