Apple again offers matte screen option for 15-inch MacBook Pro

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Sorry, friend. But you smell wrong. My experience has been that the glossy iMac screen is way more vivid and beautiful to look at and easier on the eyes than the Macbook Pro screen. I've used LCD screens at work which were more brighter than the MacBook Pro's screen. Perhaps we can go into the automatic brightness adjustment settings with the MBP as part of the problem. Anyway, the only reason I bothered to respond is this constant barrage from matte enthusiasts putting down the glossy screen.

Desktop screens and notebook screens usually aren't comparable. Desktops can usually go brighter, and if you have the higher end iMac, it's a better panel substrate, whereas almost all notebooks are TN which aren't as good for color quality and viewing angle, among other things. Not an apt comparison.

Quote:

Hence my point. Choose wisely and don't be pulled into this "matte is for professionals and glossy is for consumer suckers" argument I see littering all these threads.

I still don't get your point. If it's a personal preference, then how is your position really going to be helpful? Let me restate it: to find what is best for a person, they'll need to use both for a few days, right? How can anyone choose wisely without actually using them in person in their usual environment? Basically it looks like a "don't trust them, trust me" or "choose wisely, choose my preference" kind of argument. Even if you're only saying a person should only trust their own opinion, the quandary I give still holds.
  • Reply 142 of 152
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I got my company to buy me a 17 inch MBP with matte screen. I loved my glossy iMac but thought since I would be in different environments where I could not control my lighting, I would go with the matte. I started noticing MORE eyestrain about 2 days into using the matte screen. About a week into using it, my co-workers laughed at me because by the end of the day, I was like 12 inches away from my screen.

Bottom line to people out there. Choose VERY wisely and don't assume all this matte talk is the answer. It might be for you.... But then again, it might not. Side by side with my iMac, I prefer the glossy screen.

You're not comparing like with like. The iMac panel is higher quality, and has a much lower pixel density. It's likely that it was the high pixel density of the 17" MacBook Pro that was giving you eyestrain.
  • Reply 143 of 152
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. H View Post

you're not comparing like with like. The imac panel is higher quality, and has a much lower pixel density. It's likely that it was the high pixel density of the 17" macbook pro that was giving you eyestrain.

^--- that
  • Reply 144 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Desktop screens and notebook screens usually aren't comparable. Desktops can usually go brighter, and if you have the higher end iMac, it's a better panel substrate, whereas almost all notebooks are TN which aren't as good for color quality and viewing angle, among other things. Not an apt comparison.

It's the 20 inch iMac. First generation. And there was plenty of poo pooing of the screen going around at the time too. To your point that notebooks are not as good for color quality I would simply say a person should definitely think twice then about buying a matte screen for a laptop.

Quote:

I still don't get your point. If it's a personal preference, then how is your position really going to be helpful? Let me restate it: to find what is best for a person, they'll need to use both for a few days, right? How can anyone choose wisely without actually using them in person in their usual environment? Basically it looks like a "don't trust them, trust me" or "choose wisely, choose my preference" kind of argument. Even if you're only saying a person should only trust their own opinion, the quandary I give still holds.

My point is glossy/matte is a personal preference and all this matte-is-better talk should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not saying to trust me. I simply stated my experience in this heavily one-sided matte-is-better thread.
  • Reply 145 of 152
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

My point is glossy/matte is a personal preference and all this matte-is-better talk should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not saying to trust me. I simply stated my experience in this heavily one-sided matte-is-better thread.

No matter what your experience... it should be noted that it has been proven over and over and over again that color correction is done best on a matte screen. It is very difficult for the readers to color correct on glossy screens.

I fail to see how you had eye strain on a matte screen 17" laptop. I have a core2duo 2.33 15" laptop with a matte screen. Next to it was a 24" apple lcd that was hooked up to my mac pro. I had to take back the 24" apple lcd because of how much my posture was shifting and how bad i was getting strained. I worked just fine at a normal work posture on that 15" for two years. It is on a Griffin stand, and I'm sitting in a steelcase leap. Now tell me how it is I was moving for the glossy 24" bigger screen but not for the 15". It was all reflection. We even re-arranged the office... was a no go and I took the 10% hit taking back the apple display. I got a HP 24" IPS panel display and couldn't be happier.

I honestly think you were moving closer because it was a smaller screen and much smaller pixel density. It's one thing going to a bigger screen and moving closer, but to a smaller screen and moving closer... I don't think it relates 100% to it being matte. Maybe a little, but keep in mind you went from bigger to smaller. It's just like getting your eyes tested. You read the bigger letters and have a harder time reading the smaller letters.
  • Reply 146 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You're not comparing like with like. The iMac panel is higher quality, and has a much lower pixel density. It's likely that it was the high pixel density of the 17" MacBook Pro that was giving you eyestrain.

You know, a higher pixel density might be a part of it. So to might the automatic brightness control settings which dull the screen down in brighter environments (of which I do currently work in most of the time.) The fact that I am not comparing two of the exact machines to me is somewhat irrelevant. A glossy MBP will have bright vibrant colors by definition. A matte MBP will not. So I will simply state it again. With my iMac and MBP matte screen side by side, I regret "upgrading" to the matte screen. Sorry if this flies in the face of everyone's own persuasion here. But then again, that is why I offered up my experience.
  • Reply 147 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

No matter what your experience... it should be noted that it has been proven over and over and over again that color correction is done best on a matte screen. It is very difficult for the readers to color correct on glossy screens.

Noted. It is true that I do not have to worry about that in my profession.

Quote:

I honestly think you were moving closer because it was a smaller screen and much smaller pixel density. It's one thing going to a bigger screen and moving closer, but to a smaller screen and moving closer... I don't think it relates 100% to it being matte. Maybe a little, but keep in mind you went from bigger to smaller. It's just like getting your eyes tested. You read the bigger letters and have a harder time reading the smaller letters.

The bigger to smaller screen is a very relevant point and I do own a pair of aging eyes. With that point in mind however, I would simply surmise that it makes a brighter and vivid, smaller glossy screen, even more attractive then a dull smaller screen.

Anyway, people can take what I said for what it is worth. It was my subjective opinion based on my experience.
  • Reply 148 of 152
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Fair enough. Now, if auto dimming is really an issue, then that can be turned off in the display preferences pane.

As far as I know, it's the same panel and same backlight. I don't know if the matte screen surface really dims the screen. It's possible that the diffuse scattering of external lights (incident light) might alter the perception of brightness. The only time it's really been a problem for me is outdoors, but that's a very hard problem, no LCD screen of any kind I've seen can really hold up well, though matte seems to do the worst.
  • Reply 149 of 152
    Had a chance to see the new Matte 15" Macbook Pro at my local Apple store today, and its a HUGE improvement over the glossy display... the design looks better than the 17" Matte MBP but its still growing on me, better a display than a mirror! BTW an Apple Rep said that the Matte option is available for all 15" models both in store and online.

Had my iPhone handy so I snapped a pic (not the greatest quality)

• Reply 150 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aluminum_Glass View Post

Had a chance to see the new Matte 15" Macbook Pro at my local Apple store today, and its a HUGE improvement over the glossy display... the design looks better than the 17" Matte MBP but its still growing on me, better a display than a mirror! BTW an Apple Rep said that the Matte option is available for all 15" models both in store and online.

Had my iPhone handy so I snapped a pic (not the greatest quality)

Looks pretty nice! Thanks for the pic!
  • Reply 151 of 152
    This is great news! I intend to purchase an anti-glare MBP 15" as soon as possible, for color accuracy purposes. I saw the anti-glare MBP at the Apple Store and found the colors and viewing angle to be more accurate that the glossy version, and the computer itself far more gorgeous, though apparently many like the aesthetic of the glossy Macs. The total edge to edge black was a dissapointment for me starting with the glossy iMac reveal. Fortunately there is antiglare again.