Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Photos claiming to be shots of the final box art for Apple's upcoming operating system, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, have been posted, suggesting the product could be very close to retail.

The photos, sent to MacRumors, show what is alleged to be the Portuguese packaging and disc art. The art on the disc is consistent with the OS install icon found on the reported Golden Master of the software, Mac OS X 10.6 build 10A432.

The box art includes a white background with a picture of a snow leopard, the same image on the product's disc. The front includes the slogan, in Portuguese, "The world's most advanced operating system. Perfectly optimized." The back of the box boasts 64-bit processor support and compatibility with Microsoft Exchange.

Last week, the alleged Golden Master was seeded to Apple developers. This as sources have given great detail on the Snow Leopard installation process. Some rumors have suggested that the OS could go on sale on Friday, August 28, but AppleInsider has received no evidence to support these reports.

To create Snow Leopard, Apple said its engineers focused on refining 90 percent of the more than 1,000 projects in Mac OS X. Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is priced at $29 for the single user license and $49 for the five-license family pack. Also available are Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard ($499), Snow Leopard, iWork and iLife ($169) and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife ($229).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    Let the speculating and complaining begin!
  • Reply 2 of 127
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Very majestic and pristine. I'm sure they want users to feel similarly toward the contents therein.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is more than just the general speed ups that are important. Hopefully this means a stable API for a few years to come. In other words it means developers have a chance to deliver some great software.

Yeah I know about the general whinning that not much has changed interface wise, but I have to ask is that really all that important. Change shouldn't happen for changes sake. Rather change needs to happen when something worthwhile can be offered up. Snow Leopard offers up a base that can make for worthwhile changes in the future.

Backing up a bit, speed is nothing to sneeze at either. I would be very thankful for a faster Safari, Java VM, and other tools I use regularly. I'm holding out hope that my old 2008 MBP can leverage the new tech well. Anyways the new found speed and support of 64 bit addressing ought to open up the software possibilities to things not previously possible.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 127
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Thanks for confirming that all the torrent sites have GM also LOL. They were all in doubt until this posting

Not that I know anything about that....Just what I heard.....through the grapevine. That long grapevine outside my window that I tried killing with weedeater but wouldn't go away.
  • Reply 5 of 127
    reminds me of the o'reilly book covers
  • Reply 6 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nice package.

• Reply 7 of 127
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Thanks for confirming that all the torrent sites have GM also LOL. They were all in doubt until this posting

Seriously, you can't afford the $33 total it would cost at most with sales tax? This isn't Adobe trying to foist another $2K CS update on you, its Apple giving you a great price on a highly improved and optimized OS.

As for the box art, it looks like they're going more Appstore style with all of the app/feature icons spread across the back.
  • Reply 8 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just release the thing already.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    How come the plastic sleeve for the disc?

Is it the owner being very precautions?
  • Reply 10 of 127
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Seriously, you can't afford the $33 total it would cost at most with sales tax? This isn't Adobe trying to foist another $2K CS update on you, its Apple giving you a great price on a highly improved and optimized OS.

As for the box art, it looks like they're going more Appstore style with all of the app/feature icons spread across the back.

Who said anything about affording it? It's sitting right in front of me on a PUBLIC website. Nothing illegal about watching 1,000 people simultaneously download it at 5mb/sec. LOL [about a 3 hr download].
  • Reply 11 of 127
    I really like the new look they are going with. Bold snow leopard just looking at you, waiting to be installed. lol.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    That box is so unApple. It looks more like a MS design
  • Reply 13 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gbreed View Post

That box is so unApple. It looks more like a MS design

Or every product page on Apple's site.

Anyways. It's the Grand Central logo that clinches it. Looking formard to paying for the release. $29 bucks. Really is it that hard to pay. Come on you've spent more on a steak dinner. Or a night at the movies.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    Here kitty kitty!!
  • Reply 15 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

Or every product page on Apple's site.

Anyways. It's the Grand Central logo that clinches it. Looking formard to paying for the release. $29 bucks. Really is it that hard to pay. Come on you've spent more on a steak dinner. Or a night at the movies.

Probably $40.00 CDN.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    This combined with the installer disc icon tells me it ain't no fake.

I think the box is pretty good (maybe people don't like change?). I imagine it looks better in real life.

One things for sure – never happy with the space theme.

Whatever we each think of the box, one thing everyone should be pleased with is that this likely indicate the release date is drawing near.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken Burns Effect View Post

How come the plastic sleeve for the disc?

Is it the owner being very precautions?

That's how they ship these days.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    And i've spent more than $40 on a steak from Cumbrea's Easy. See you in line at the Eatons Center.
  • Reply 19 of 127
    From my point of view I dont thinks this is Real... its just a very well done FAKE...

I think is fake because dont have the touch of apple designers... at all...
  • Reply 20 of 127
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I'm springing for the $49 Family Pack. We only have two Intel-based Macs in the house.

I know I could just get the $29 Single and install it on both machines. But $49 is a reasonable compromise versus the $129/$199 of previous OS X upgrades.

My karma/conscience is clear.