Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    I rather like it. Nice change from the last few designs.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gbreed View Post

That box is so unApple. It looks more like a MS design

Wrong.

Actually more a return to the standard OS-X kind of styling. The original Leopard with the swishy pink and purple background and space theme was more of a "break" with Apple's typical styling.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wrong.

Actually more a return to the standard OS-X kind of styling. The original Leopard with the swishy pink and purple background and space theme was more of a "break" with Apple's typical styling.

I dont agree with you, because Apple are trying to bring more vivid colors to Apple, and leaving the grey and opaque...
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Nice fake. Now tell me a real release date. I need a new MBP and would like it to ship with Snow Leopard. Please, please be shipping Macs with it by August 28th.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Apple has been leakier then a sunken ship these days. First the Mac Mini (which was true), then the "tablet" videos (which may or may not be true), the new iPod Touch (probably true), and now this. Seriously, is there any secrecy left there?
  • Reply 26 of 127
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Hmm. Apple's own Snow Leopard page displays a bit different disc art. Why would they change that all of a sudden after people have become familiar with it through the website?

Also it would create inconsitency between the Server edition and the Client. Unless they're going to slap that leopard photo onto the server too which doesn't happen.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    I believe the leopard pic is from Webshots.

I know snow leopard pictures are hard to come by, and it is a fantastic picture. I'm still a bit disappointed at the rehashing.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Yeah, ok this is not the first place I've seen this design (screenshots of alleged Golden Master install icon). But, it sorta doesn't exactly match Apple's art that they post on their official website: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

And this new design is totally ugly and unlike anything has ever done. A PICTURE of a SNOW LEOPARD??? It's just a codename for goodness sakes. The VERSION NUMBER is what's always prominent. Not a picture of a snow leopard printed on a white background (which obviously could have been made by anybody with a printable cd and a printer).

And why is it that photos of un-released products are always taken with the most crappy camera possible?

Gullible people... I'll believe it when it's sitting in front of my Mac.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Apple definitely needed to make this break with their past OS X artwork. It's too hard to remember which giant "X" is which: The gloopy blue X, The steely iron X, the cat spots X (how many different cats do actually have spots?) It was getting difficult to identify a specific version of OS X just by the big "X" logo itself.
  • Reply 30 of 127
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Me likes, me likes!!

Aug. 28? Just let it out already!!
  • Reply 31 of 127
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
    El Gato Blanco Mucho Frio

(yea yea, not too bad for El Norte Stupido
  • Reply 32 of 127
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    The line at the Phoenix Biltmore Apple store for the release of Snow Leopard just started forming. Only 4 people so far.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I'm springing for the $49 Family Pack. We only have two Intel-based Macs in the house.

I know I could just get the $29 Single and install it on both machines. But $49 is a reasonable compromise versus the $129/$199 of previous OS X upgrades.

My karma/conscience is clear.

I've been thinking the same thing. I wonder if the low price of this upgrade is going to increase the percentage of users who buy Family Packs this time around. It would do a lot to prove the theory that for software, selling at a low price will do more to reduce piracy, and thus make up for the lower margin on each unit sold, than jacking the price up and adding draconian anti-piracy measures. In other words, reward your paying customers, instead of placing the burden of the lost revenue from pirates on them.

Hope Adobe is paying attention.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Nice fake. Now tell me a real release date. I need a new MBP and would like it to ship with Snow Leopard. Please, please be shipping Macs with it by August 28th.

If you buy a new MBP now, you can get Snow Leopard for $9.99 via the up-to-date program or you can wait. Learn more about the up-to-date program

Also, according to Apple's website, it says that Snow Leopard is scheduled to ship in September but Apple could always let the cat out early.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    mickmick Posts: 5member
    You can download both of the boxshots in high res here:

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/macosx/macosx.html

The SL box does look a lot like the current Leopard box, I think that is the point. I am sure they will never be sold side by side - when Snow Leopard is released Leopard will be gone from the shelves.

I don't see Apple wanting to convey to consumers the idea this is a completely new OS/product.

Also, as a designer I would say that it would be HUGE shock to see that box on the shelf at an Apple store. It is VERY off brand.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by se7en-pt View Post

I dont agree with you, because Apple are trying to bring more vivid colors to Apple, and leaving the grey and opaque...

Actually Apple is trying to get away from full color boxes cause it requires more ink, which requires printers to work harder, which in turn is bad for the environment.

If you haven't noticed all of Apple's boxes are starting to resemble this style of box. Plus the crease on the back is like every other Apple box I have received, my MacBook Pro had one, MacBook had one, and my Mighty Mouse had one.

Might as well get used to it, this is potentially the final packaging for the software.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mick View Post

I think that is the point. I am sure they will never be sold side by side - when Snow Leopard is released Leopard will be gone from the shelves.

Isn't Leopard a prerequisite for Snow Leopard? There are a few Intel Mac people still running Tiger, not to mention PowerPC Macs that can still be upgraded from Tiger and earlier versions of Mac OS X to Leopard.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    mickmick Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Isn't Leopard a prerequisite for Snow Leopard? There are a few Intel Mac people still running Tiger, not to mention PowerPC Macs that can still be upgraded from Tiger and earlier versions of Mac OS X to Leopard.

The $29 upgrade will require Leopard, but I have to imagine they will sell a full version for $129.

BTW - Just downloaded the box art from the PR site and it is the current box not the new SL box, my bad... I still believe that SL will very closely resemble the current OSX.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

The $29 upgrade will require Leopard, but I have to imagine they will sell a full version for $129.

BTW - Just downloaded the box art from the PR site and it is the current box not the new SL box, my bad... I still believe that SL will very closely resemble the current OSX.

So if one wants to do a clean install and they purchased the $29 copy of SL, the procedure is . . . ?
  • Reply 40 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

What part of the box that heads this story are you not seeing? Anyway, it's only marketing.