Dell's iPhone Killer rejected by carriers as too dull

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

From the article:

Statements like this ruin great AppleInsider articles, in my opinion. The Dell DJ worked well and sold well until Dell simply didn't keep the player up to date. Dell's Pocket PCs were well designed and reasonably popular at the time. And many of Dell's PCs demonstrate great portable device engineering and consumer design saavy, see their mini 9 netbooks (is that what they are called? i forget and dont feel like looking it up)

Dell is a successful company and I would argue that they have put out a more consistent product line over the years than Apple considering Apple's history in the 90s.

Not to say I'm not an Apple fan, and I would definitely say that I'm not at all surprised at Dell making a lame smartphone. I guess a little bias isn't a terrible thing in a site for Apple fans, it's always fun to poke around at competition when they are stumbling around

The DJ may have worked well, but it sold poorly.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The DJ may have worked well, but it sold poorly.

Unless improved, according to the carriers, the uninspiring Dell Phone, while possibly working well, might sell just as poorly. Unless by some miracle, however, entering the smart phone market now to carve out your niche amid all the current competitors during this shaky economy, makes me wonder...

If Dell fired that blonde, curly haired actor that always said, "Dude, you're getting a Dell!", makes me wonder what those in the upper echelon of Dell have been smoking!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15704...art_phone.html
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Unless improved, according to the carriers, the uninspiring Dell Phone, while possibly working well, might sell just as poorly. Unless by some miracle, however, entering the smart phone market now to carve out your niche amid all the current competitors during this shaky economy, makes me wonder...

If Dell fired that blonde, curly haired actor that always said, "Dude, you're getting a Dell!", makes me wonder what those in the upper echelon of Dell have been smoking!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15704...art_phone.html

I guess, the same thing he was.

I wonder what happened to him.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I guess, the same thing he was.

I wonder what happened to him.

Last we heard, he was waiting tables at a bar in Manhattan.

I'm not sure which alternate universe the Dell DJ was selling well in. It didn't sell well in this one. The Dell Axim PDAs (and the HP iPAQs, as well) didn't gain any traction outside the enterprise markets. So I think the point that Dell doesn't know how to develop sell anything besides PCs to the general consumer market is still a valid one.

When your really think about it, the only real innovation Dell brought to the computing market were their methods of supply chain management and customization. Everyone else (including Apple, to a great degree) caught up with them, and now they have little to differentiate themselves from their competition.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Last we heard, he was waiting tables at a bar in Manhattan.

I'm not sure which alternate universe the Dell DJ was selling well in. It didn't sell well in this one. The Dell Axim PDAs (and the HP iPAQs, as well) didn't gain any traction outside the enterprise markets. So I think the point that Dell doesn't know how to develop sell anything besides PCs to the general consumer market is still a valid one.

When your really think about it, the only real innovation Dell brought to the computing market were their methods of supply chain management and customization. Everyone else (including Apple, to a great degree) caught up with them, and now they have little to differentiate themselves from their competition.

Dell has a lot of problems. When all US computer manufacturers made their computers here in the US for the US market, or in places where costs were about the same, Dell had an advantage.

But when, unfortunately, the American consumer began to demand cheaper and cheaper machines, as they always do, manufacture went to asia. Then Dell's US manufacturing model fell apart.

It's sad, really. The last big US computer manufacturer now moving to asia as well.

As far as the DJ and other small devices go, that's a different matter. The best anyone can do is to attempt Apple's ecosystem. But as we can see from MS's failure with the Zune, it might be too late. Unless someone comes up with a radical idea that is truly much better, there's little reason for anyone to get something else. People will, in smaller numbers, do that, perhaps so as to "think different". But, they don't seem to be making a dent, and overseas, Apple's numbers are rising.

All the big phone companies have already come out with their first, and in some cases, their second generation "iPhone killers". As time goes on, they will come closer to what Apple has. But, there also, if Apple can gain enough marketshare, and mindshare, it may be difficult for them. At least out of the business end where RIM will continue to do well.

What other computer companies can do, isn't clear. They have little experience in doing software. They have to use third party OS's. That just splits the market for those OS's further into smaller fiefs of different phones with different hardware, and different OS features, marginally compatible.

A few years ago they attempted to standardize on a common dock platform. Apple refused to play along, and so that hasn't come to much. Without that, among other things, their ecosystems will be much smaller and fragmented than Apple's.

When one goes into a store, and sees a wall of iPod/iPhone/iTouch accessories, and a couple here and there for everyone else, that's often enough to dissuade people from buying anything else.

It's interesting where Apple is moving this.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Motorola desperately needs to buy Palm to survive...

MOT -- wake up!
  • Reply 47 of 50
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SkateNY View Post

Dell produces something dull. Just like their stock price.

A little poem to cheer up the boys and girls in Round Rock:

Oh no!

Dell - dull?

Say it ain't so!!

Say it ain't so....
  • Reply 48 of 50
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Mobile service providers either want basic phones they can sell for free (as the majority of LG units do)"

How do you "sell" something for free ... if it's free you're "giving " it, not selling it ..
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Dell is really dull. I believe to really beat the iPhone, some company has to reinvent the phone and add a new feature to it ( VERY VERY IMPT ) one like Apple's App Store or something like that that can change the way we look at phones. Right now, none of this is happening yet.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

A little poem to cheer up the boys and girls in Round Rock:

Oh no!

Dell - dull?

Say it ain't so!!

Say it ain't so....

LOL!