Apple annual music event to be held Sept. 9 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

9-9-09?

that date is also the release of tim burton's 9 and is also the date of sister ruth's 90th birthday. i'm sure they're all connected somehow.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    New AppleTV.... Please!!
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

New AppleTV.... Please!!

I hope so too. Since the original AppleTV was launched a lot has changed and the direction of that market is considerably more set that it was then. Blu-ray beat HD-DVD, Apple finally got rights to movies in the iTunes Store with rentals, ad supported TV viewing via websites as caught on, and digital downloads have caught on quite well.

There is a lot Apple could do with a new AppleTV in both HW and SW at this point. While that is surely a ?hobby? for them, for lack of a better term, it?s not an area that they can give up on. Any ideas what direction you foresee them likely going?
  • Reply 24 of 68
    the high capacity still has a market! i'm not buying a 32 GB iPod touch for $400 just because my 16GB iPhone doesn't hold all my music. still need a viable option. maybe 64 GB nano or something sick like that.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Let the speculation begin!

And let the farce be with you that don't get exactly what you believe you are entitled to receive.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Since I don't give a damn about Blue-Ray, I would rather see them introducing 64-bit Cocoa-based iTunes. And when are they going to bring movie rentals and TV shows to Europe?
  • Reply 27 of 68
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    what about Snow Leopard
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Why Wednesday and not Tuesday for the event? Maybe Wigby is onto something.

Also the back to school rebate on iPod Touches ends on the 8th.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Blu-ray support doesn?t work that way. AACS has to be supported in the OS itself before any application can possibly play a Blu-ray title.

BTW, is that a desktop-grade drive that would only fit in Mac Pros or an external drive? It surely isn?t the 9.5mm ultra-slim slot-loading drive needed for most Macs.

It seems likely that iTunes 9 would be Cocoa based and 64-bit compatible for at least Snow Leopard. So far it?s not, yet it?s at the core of 2-out-of-3 legs of Apple?s business. Since there is no beta on the developer?s site I wonder if there are also some major changes that they want to keep secret until the event.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...nts_en_US.html

Windows Vista didn't have any official blu-ray support. you need a drive, player program and the compatible video card driver that supports HDCP or HDMI
  • Reply 30 of 68
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

New AppleTV.... Please!!

there are TV's coming out now or will come out soon with Netflix built into the TV. why bother with Apple TV?
  • Reply 31 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Sept 9th:

Great day for Apple.

Not so great for the ZunePod HD.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sept 9th:

Great day for Apple.

Not so great for the ZunePod HD.

Please stop bringing Microsoft into this forum. Please.....
  • Reply 33 of 68
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    While it may not be unveiled I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced- like the iPhone was 6 months befor it was sold. This product could use the buzz and make people think twice before buying those netbooks. And therefor if SJ is there I think we could expect an end announcement by him.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

there are TV's coming out now or will come out soon with Netflix built into the TV. why bother with Apple TV?

I know - really- you can get wireless blu-ray machines now that stream rentals from much larger libraries. I think ATVs time has past. Get a Mini instead or go cheaper- get an iPod dock for your TV.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

I hope so too. Since the original AppleTV was launched a lot has changed and the direction of that market is considerably more set that it was then. Blu-ray beat HD-DVD, Apple finally got rights to movies in the iTunes Store with rentals, ad supported TV viewing via websites as caught on, and digital downloads have caught on quite well.

There is a lot Apple could do with a new AppleTV in both HW and SW at this point. While that is surely a “hobby” for them, for lack of a better term, it’s not an area that they can give up on. Any ideas what direction you foresee them likely going?

They could start by including an "On/Off switch" on it.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

As for Apple?s name change, I hope you aren?t implying that Apple doesn?t focus on computers anymore.

No Apple has implied that itself if you base it on their product release priority over the last 2 years.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

No this is gonna be all about music. iMac will be announced, logically, at a computer evert. Maybe with the Tablet.

I hope they don't have some lame "Rocker" like Jack Johnson again ,like at their last "Rock" event.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No Apple has implied that itself if you base it on their product release priority over the last 2 years.

Yet the market hasn't noticed.

Apple is selling more Macs than ever and is on track to do the same next quarter, and they continue to be #1 in PC satisfaction. It's just that their focus has shifted to notebooks, and rightly so, since desktops sales are way, way down in the entire industry.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's just that their focus has shifted to notebooks, and rightly so, since desktops sales are way, way down in the entire industry.

That's funny, I thought their focus shifted to phones.\ Why would I have thought that?
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Interesting.

If they do update iTunes, and offer streaming videos or something similar, I hope that the AppleTV gets a revamp.

Personally though.. streaming?.. really?

I'd much rather have them allow immediate on-demand download of a TV show (just like now) at their high quality (as they've already got encoded) but intersperse ads (like Hulu) if we don't want to buy it. That's the future of "Free to Air".. or "Free to Download".