Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

The space theme has it's disingenious uses – you'd be hard pushed to find a desktop picture better suited to hide all those dead/stuck pixels!

Nobody said we're not getting the SL nebula desktop image. This is the image on the disk, disk icon and box, not the desktop. Though I do believe this desktop image is also being added.

This is my desktop image right now, I've had this image for a while. It's nice.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    codymrcodymr Posts: 28member
    I stand corrected... The Amazon page has changed since I last viewed it. I guess we will have to wait and see what Apple comes up with.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    I think they should do something similar to the Thundercats logo.

That alone would be reason enough for me to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 104 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I think they should do something similar to the Thundercats logo.

That alone would be reason enough for me to buy a Mac.

Barf! Looks more like Alienware.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Here's the classic logo. Ahh, memories. Going back to '86 here.

• Reply 106 of 127
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I am amazed that an article about a fucking box would generate over 100 comments. Get a life people.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am amazed that an article about a fucking box would generate over 100 comments. Get a life people.

It's not all about the box. the conversation (as it often does) branched off into different directions. It's just the ebb and flow of the posts.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

Funny, most of us actually contributed something to the conversation. You didn't.
  • Reply 109 of 127
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    THUNDERCATS FTW!

YES.

Mac OS X 10.7 "Thundercat". Boom!

Special appearance by Steve Ballmer as Mum-Ra.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So if one wants to do a clean install and they purchased the $29 copy of SL, the procedure is . . . ?

Back up all your data, install snow leopard and do a format with disk utility, copy all your data back! Install apps from your applications disc that came with your computer.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Back up all your data, install snow leopard and do a format with disk utility, copy all your data back! Install apps from your applications disc that came with your computer.

And if you have to install a new HDD and do an install with Snow Leopard, will you be able to just install that disc, will you need to install Leopard first, or will you need to just put the Leopard disc in at a particular time to have the installer verify that you have it on in?
  • Reply 112 of 127
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Funny, most of us actually contributed something to the conversation. You didn't.

Sure I did. I pointed out how stupid most people are to get excited over rumored cover art on a box. One in which will be thrown away immediately after purchase. It is amazing how Apple came up with the idea of a picture of a Snow Leopard, on their software that is called Snow Leopard. And some poor fool at AppleInsider got stuck with the assignment to write an article about a box.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codymr View Post

The 3 columns on the back of the box are not evenly spaced. If it is real, then that is bad design.

Hehehe. I get this all the time with clients!

Sometimes ranged text on a grid looks unevenly spaced, even although it is sitting perfectly on the grid. This is because when you clean up the line endings, you often end up with columns of text that are different widths.

It's interesting to note that someone has indeed cleaned-up the line endings. This is something that very few designers would do, but most artworkers would do. That might suggest that if it is a fake, it's been produced by someone with a good understanding of typography and Tschichold-esque style grids.

I would suggest that any faker other that a typographer, would have visually balanced the white space between the columns because they didn't know any better. This may have looked better initially, but you would then have sacrificed consistency across different languages and other instances of the grid.

So, because it's been produced by someone with a good understanding of typography (grids and rag-cleaning), I'm going to go with 'genuine' this time around. Either way, it's good design, and it's been well produced.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Sure I did. I pointed out how stupid most people are to get excited over rumored cover art on a box. One in which will be thrown away immediately after purchase. It is amazing how Apple came up with the idea of a picture of a Snow Leopard, on their software that is called Snow Leopard. And some poor fool at AppleInsider got stuck with the assignment to write an article about a box.

I think the main cut-and-thrust of the discussion is that if this is a genuine box, it means that 10a432 is the Gold Master.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    Quote:

I think the main cut-and-thrust of the discussion is that if this is a genuine box, it means that 10a432 is the Gold Master.

The two aren't necessarily related. If there is an announcement on September (the 'media event' relating to 'media') then the programming being stopped on 12 August gives the programmers slightly less than a month to update iTunes for the new product that'll be launched.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Actaully, OS X's look still seems rather understated and coherent to me.

What inconsistencies are you referring to?

- Aqua themed scroll bars

- New shading 'grey' theme in Leopard (see App folder for example)

- Quicktime 'chrome' theme

- New 'desktop' for Widgets (why just them?)

- Itunes interface spreading to some apps (Finder) but not all

- Quicktime is now getting yet another theme (it's a frickin app people!!!)

- What the heck is the deal with the fonts and spacing in the Help Menu????

- Some apps give the spinning beach ball, some still give the hourglass

etc. etc. ad naseum.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I installed Snow Leopard from Tiger 10.4.11.

Mind you it was a fresh zero'd install of Tiger so I didn't do a clean install of Snow Leopard because it wasn't needed.

Everything seems to be normal. Quicktime is nice. Safari is the same.

For those of you wondering the latest version of Vuze does not play nice with Snow Leopard. You'll have to use Transmission for now.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

My feeling and final thought on this thread is now that this is not the final box but the box will look mostly like this and 10A432 is one build *before* the Gold Master. The Snow Leopard nebula will remain as a desktop picture included but will not be the main thrust of the design so as to differentiate it from Leopard.

They are going to go with the cat picture, I now thinkz...
  • Reply 119 of 127
    All you doubters got pwned and I was RIGHT! Those pictures of the packaging are the real deal.
  • Reply 120 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielDecker View Post

All you doubters got pwned and I was RIGHT! Those pictures of the packaging are the real deal.

Full marks.

The product is called Snow Leopard. Why anyone would be surprised at Apple having an image of your actual Snow Leopard on the packaging is beyond me.