"Exploding" iPhones in Europe prompt Apple-led investigation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following various reports of exploding iPhones and iPod touches, Apple has reportedly informed the European Commission that it has begun a probe into the matter.

In a new report from Reuters, a spokeswoman from the European Union's consumer safety division stated that Apple is gathering information on a number of events in which users allege devices running the iPhone OS exploded. Apple has reported the incidents to the union as "isolated," but will do tests to determine the possible cause.

"What they've said to us is that they consider these are isolated incidents," Helen Kearns said at a news briefing. "They don't consider that there's a general problem."

A spokesman for Apple in Europe added little else: "We are aware of these reports and we are waiting to receive the iPhones from the customers. Until we have the full details, we don't have anything further to add."

Earlier this month, a report from the U.K. over a supposed exploding iPod touch said the company attempted to refund the family only if they agreed to keep quiet. In that case, an 11-year-old girl reportedly dropped the device, at which point it hissed, popped, and flew into the air. After the family requested a refund, Apple sent a letter denying any liability on the company's part. It also asked the family to "keep the terms of existence of this settlement agreement completely confidential."

Reuters also cites a recent incident in which a French teenager was "slightly injured" when his iPhone made a hissing noise and shattered. The boy's mother is considering taking legal action against Apple.

Earlier this year, Apple was sued over an alleged exploding iPod touch in Ohio. In that suit, the complainant states that a second-generation device exploded, set a person's pants on fire, and caused second-degree burns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    So it's been narrowed down to the OS being the problem.

Quote:

In a new report from Reuters, a spokeswoman from the European Union's consumer safety division stated that Apple is gathering information on a number of events in which users allege devices running the iPhone OS exploded. Apple has reported the incidents to the union as "isolated," but will do tests to determine the possible cause.

• Reply 2 of 43
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    The success of Apple is causing a great rage and jealousy among competitors all over the world. It is not a surprise that all these explosion news will surface.

Are iPhones and iPods made with explosives? Chinese fireworks? Or sabotage?

I have bought over 10 for family and friends, and none has exploded. I don't know anyone who has had an explosion of an iPod or iPhone. I don't believe it.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Bogus.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Plaintiff: Your product injured me.

Defendant: Show me some evidence of the injury.

Plaintiff: uh, no.

Defendant: let me examine the device so that I may not only determine the likely cause but also protect other users from the same problem.

Judge: I find in favor of the Plaintiff for (undisclosed amount) as the defendant is clearly trying to hide a systemic lack of quality control and blatant disregard for public safety in their policy of denying that unsubstantiated claims against them without merit and in their continued refusal to correct a problem which no one can prove or demonstrate.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    You know what!

I don't believe the things the EU is doing these days! always meddling in things they really dont know anything off.

bunch of greedy people

Exploding Ipod/Iphone! I don't believe that eather! I use mine every single day! for at least 10 ours a day! and mine didn't exploded!

nore it gets hot!
  • Reply 6 of 43
    mintmint Posts: 17member
    I've heard scare stories about phones and laptops exploding before. If the battery develops a fault it's going to go pop regardless of who's logo is on it.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Maybe their cases trap in the heat?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Bonjour,

From the French point of view - sorry, I live in France -, the iPhone explosion is the perfect case to ignite an anti-America campaign . Do you remember the Coke affair

The fact is, the supposed explosion has been over-covered by media , including front page in leading newspapers and a full segment on one top Evening News broadcast.

Well, let's do some maths: 2 explosions out of, how million units sold? I'd rather prefer not to have an exploding iPhone, but 2 cases don't deserve such a fuss .

As a French, I feel really sorry for that . I own an iPhone and it works wonders and I don't suffer from the Not Invented Here syndrome

That might be the real difference
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mint View Post

I've heard scare stories about phones and laptops exploding before. If the battery develops a fault it's going to go pop regardless of who's logo is on it.

I did not say that I don't believe there have been problems - my point was that if you want to seek damages against the company that made the product your case cannot be based on "because I said so" and they should be given the opportunity to examine the device - or have some independent third party examine the device in question in order to determine if there is a design flaw, or a material defect, or if the likely cause was some form of neglect or abuse.

For example - you would not sue a car maker because you mashed the gas pedal to the floor, accelerated to 100 mph and ran straight into a tree - but you would if you started the car and never touched the gas pedal and yet you still accelerated to 100 mph and ran into a tree. But even in that case - the car maker would need some way to determine whether there was a problem with the car - or if some random piece of junk you had rolling around in the car got jammed in the accelerator pedal and caused the problem.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Maybe people are putting Mentos in their iPhones?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Plaintiff: Your product injured me.

Defendant: Show me some evidence of the injury.

Defendant: let me examine the device so that I may not only determine the likely cause but also protect other users from the same problem.

Judge: I find in favor of the Plaintiff for (undisclosed amount) as the defendant is clearly trying to hide a systemic lack of quality control and blatant disregard for public safety in their policy of denying that unsubstantiated claims against them without merit and in their continued refusal to correct a problem which no one can prove or demonstrate.

That would be so funny if it wasn't such a likely scenario to have happen in a U.S. courtroom.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    mintmint Posts: 17member
    Quote:

I did not say that I don't believe there have been problems - my point was that if you want to seek damages against the company that made the product your case cannot be based on "because I said so" and they should be given the opportunity to examine the device - or have some independent third party examine the device in question in order to determine if there is a design flaw, or a material defect, or if the likely cause was some form of neglect or abuse.

For example - you would not sue a car maker because you mashed the gas pedal to the floor, accelerated to 100 mph and ran straight into a tree - but you would if you started the car and never touched the gas pedal and yet you still accelerated to 100 mph and ran into a tree. But even in that case - the car maker would need some way to determine whether there was a problem with the car - or if some random piece of junk you had rolling around in the car got jammed in the accelerator pedal and caused the problem.

Yeah that's fine mate, I was replying to the original article not arguing against your point.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mint View Post

Yeah that's fine mate, I was replying to the original article not arguing against your point.

I wasn't necessarily addressing your post specifically - more a couple of messages along those lines.

Some folks forget that just because they personally have not seen a problem that when you have tens of millions of people out there using the same product that there could be a serious problem affecting a small portion of the use base.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    grebogrebo Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... In that suit, the complainant states that a second-generation device exploded, set a person's pants on fire, and caused second-degree burns.

Are we certain that the complainant wasn't a Liar Liar?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    There is no faulty iphones or ipod touch devices, its just that Steve Jobs does not like the U.K and he is beginning his assault!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    220 volts on 110 volt phones (charger) would do the trick. Anybody seen those cheap non Apple chargers that are available on the net? I ran into this same supposed problem back in 60's when I worked for Heiland Photographic Products, only with rechargable electronic flash units. It was bogus then and it still is... (maybe) .
  • Reply 17 of 43
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Bonjour,

Well, let's do some maths: 2 explosions out of, how million units sold? I'd rather prefer not to have an exploding iPhone, but 2 cases don't deserve such a fuss .

I've heard stories of people and livestock exploding and spontaneously combusting as well.

If you put a bottle of champagne in the right environment, it'll blow. With the math above, it points to environmental circumstances, not design. Whatever real design there might be has more to do with publicity.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I've heard stories of people and livestock exploding and spontaneously combusting as well.

If you put a bottle of champagne in the right environment, it'll blow. With the math above, it points to environmental circumstances, not design. Whatever real design there might be has more to do with publicity.

I had a can of Pilsbury biscuits explode in the back seat of my car on a hot summer day - I should have sued.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

The most likely scenario is Apple killing the story wherever it can and put into its veil of secrecy rather than let it be investigated
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I've heard stories of people ... exploding and spontaneously combusting as well.

Yep. Happens all the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq0gYjbXkuQ&NR=1