"Exploding" iPhones in Europe prompt Apple-led investigation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    hokhok Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Bonjour,

From the French point of view - sorry, I live in France -, the iPhone explosion is the perfect case to ignite an anti-America campaign . Do you remember the Coke affair

The fact is, the supposed explosion has been over-covered by media , including front page in leading newspapers and a full segment on one top Evening News broadcast.

Well, let's do some maths: 2 explosions out of, how million units sold? I'd rather prefer not to have an exploding iPhone, but 2 cases don't deserve such a fuss .

As a French, I feel really sorry for that . I own an iPhone and it works wonders and I don't suffer from the Not Invented Here syndrome

That might be the real difference

C'est pas possible, mais t'es vraiment trop con. Il n'y a rien d'anti américanisme la dedans, aucun média n'a cité le fait que Apple est américain, c'est simplement que l'iPhone s'est trés bien vendu, alors les média sont Ã* l'affut dès qu'il y a un petit soucis. Mais le principal problème est comme en Angleterre la communication d'apple; si Apple n'avait pas snobé cet ado, il n'auraut pas appellé la Provence.

This guy is dumb, nothing with anti Americanism, only that Apple totally snob the guy that had the accident, telling him it was impossible, and so he told his stories to the press, and in the middle of of the summer holidays no wonder why it makes a lot of the headlines; but there was no hate in the journalist article, totally the opposite of what I see here, so much hate when someone touch your dear company.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Maybe their cases trap in the heat?

I've seen no vents... though the metal back probably acts as a heat sink. Though, heat has always been an issue in Apple products... a by-product of the their continuous thinning.

My iPod Touch (when I use the stupid thing) gets extremely warm after a few minutes of use. Hasn't gone boom yet, but I kinda expect it too. Not a big boom, just a little pop, little smoke. The heat from the device has melted some of the glue so the screen is coming up. Apple says "those issues not within warranty". At least the device is still working.

Quality control folks. Some people do in fact have issues.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hok View Post

C'est pas possible, mais t'es vraiment trop con. Il n'y a rien d'anti américanisme la dedans, aucun média n'a cité le fait que Apple est américain, c'est simplement que l'iPhone s'est trés bien vendu, alors les média sont Ã* l'affut dès qu'il y a un petit soucis. Mais le principal problème est comme en Angleterre la communication d'apple; si Apple n'avait pas snobé cet ado, il n'auraut pas appellé la Provence.

This guy is dumb, nothing with anti Americanism, only that Apple totally snob the guy that had the accident, telling him it was impossible, and so he told his stories to the press, and in the middle of of the summer holidays no wonder why it makes a lot of the headlines; but there was no hate in the journalist article, totally the opposite of what I see here, so much hate when someone touch your dear company.

I think that the opinion of a European about how some (many?) Europeans (French) view America and it's Industries are valid and should not be put down (DUMB?? who is the dumb one here?) in a forum such as this, its his own Euroview and you don't have the right as an American to diminish his views.

Meanwhile my ipod does seem rather warm today
  • Reply 24 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I've seen no vents... though the metal back probably acts as a heat sink. Though, heat has always been an issue in Apple products... a by-product of the their continuous thinning.

My iPod Touch (when I use the stupid thing) gets extremely warm after a few minutes of use. Hasn't gone boom yet, but I kinda expect it too. Not a big boom, just a little pop, little smoke. The heat from the device has melted some of the glue so the screen is coming up. Apple says "those issues not within warranty". At least the device is still working.

iPhones and iPod Touches shut themselves down when they reach certain temperature. Few months ago I was taking my MB for repair and there was a guy complaining that his iPhone was getting really warm when he use it. They told him it is perfectly normal and would replace it for him if he want, which they did. From my personal experience cell phones do get very warm when used especially during summer time.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So it's been narrowed down to the OS being the problem.

The secrecy makes sense when you realize that this is a new, not-yet-announced self-destruct feature that you can activate through MobileMe if your iPhone has been stolen:

Step 1. Find my iPhone.

Step 2. Wipe my iPhone.

Step 3. BOOM

Serves the thief right!

But seriously, folks . . . batteries are faulty sometimes in any device (laptop, phone, whatever) and they can burst into flames or give off great amounts of heat in a short time. In a device like the iPhone, too much heat behind things that can't expand well (like glass) can cause a rupture.

If true, Apple should replace a battery or phone if that happens to someone. Problem solved. It's extremely rare whatever it is. Enough media hype.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Um..... kinda a big jump from "gets extremely warm" to "explodes." You're conflating some issue you have with quality control and "people having issues" with explosions, which is...... wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizwarrior View Post

The most likely scenario is Apple killing the story wherever it can and put into its veil of secrecy rather than let it be investigated

This comment is total paranoid nonsense based on no facts at all. Methinks you watch too much Fox or something.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It seems most exploding device stories come from Europe.

Something to do with different voltage/frequency (220) perhaps?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

iPhones and iPod Touches shut themselves down when they reach certain temperature. Few months ago I was taking my MB for repair and there was a guy complaining that his iPhone was getting really warm when he use it. They told him it is perfectly normal and would replace it for him if he want, which they did. From my personal experience cell phones do get very warm when used especially during summer time.

But burning? I guess my temp sensor is dead. That, or living in AZ in the summer, everything is burning. (I do not use my iPod touch outside where it is too hot. When the device reaches a temp indoors when it gets too hot to hold, then I think that's an issue.)
  • Reply 30 of 43
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Unlikely. Most chargers for the last who knows how many years have been universal 50/60Hz 110/240V types without any particular problems.

Maybe a bad batch of batteries.. hairline crack, subject them to excessive heat or drop them and nasty chemicals get out, that sort of thing. Not a problem specific to Apple (remember the hoohah with all the Sony made batteries a few years ago?), but nothing to go into denial about either, there easily could be a problem affecting a small number of iPhones.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BurningJah View Post

I don't believe the things the EU is doing these days! always meddling in things they really dont know anything off.

Why do you think the EU is meddling in anything here?

Apple is doing an investigation and simply told that to the European Union's consumer safety division.

Quote:

Exploding Ipod/Iphone! I don't believe that eather! I use mine every single day! for at least 10 ours a day! and mine didn't exploded!

nore it gets hot!

Since it didn't happen to your's, it must be an impossibility?
  • Reply 32 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Not unless the charger itself is bad.

The iPod uses USB 5VDC so voltage/frequency are irrelevant to the iPod.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Do not carry Iphone in front pants pocket.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    kisekikiseki Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Do not carry Iphone in front pants pocket.

Or do, depending on your...um...tastes...

In fact, you could attract a lot of attention that way. "Hey, did you know that guy keeps an iPhone in his pants pocket and it could explode any time?" Better than a codpiece!
  • Reply 35 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Bogus.

i wouldn't go so far as to say bogus. apparently the incidents did happen. but it's only like 50 out of some several million iphones and ipods and in no pattern. plus there are a variety of other factors that could be at play such as leaving the device in the car, running it long periods of time, dropping it, spilling something on it. even unlocking it to use a non standard app could be at play if the app has the device running non stop. who knows. in the end they are likely to say that there is no way to determine what exactly caused these handful of incidents conclusively.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I had a can of Pilsbury biscuits explode in the back seat of my car on a hot summer day - I should have sued.

Seeing something on Mythbusters, and claiming it as a personal experience?

That's hot!
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

I think that the opinion of a European about how some (many?) Europeans (French) view America and it's Industries are valid and should not be put down (DUMB?? who is the dumb one here?) in a forum such as this, its his own Euroview and you don't have the right as an American to diminish his views.

Thanks ch2co for your support for free speech.

hok, may I suggest you to re-read the American Consitution, especially the 1st Amendement ?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

The success of Apple is causing a great rage and jealousy among competitors all over the world. It is not a surprise that all these explosion news will surface.

Are iPhones and iPods made with explosives?

I don't know anyone who has had an explosion of an iPod or iPhone. I don't believe it.

Apple's compettitors do not control the various news media that report these incidents. They are being reported because they are newsworthy.

You don't believe anything you don't have direct experience of? Why are you reading this forum then.

Quote:

Plaintiff: Your product injured me.

Defendant: Show me some evidence of the injury.

Plaintiff: uh, no.

AI left a little something out of this article, namely that the French student in question was supposedly struck in the eye by a small piece of glass from the screen of the iphone. Luckily it was very small and he wasn't injured by it. Had it been a larger sliver of glass, the injury might have been more serious.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BurningJah View Post

You know what!

I don't believe the things the EU is doing these days! always meddling in things they really dont know anything off.

bunch of greedy people

What are you blathering on about? The article states that Apple has informed the EU that it (Apple) has started an investigation of its own accord.

The article did NOT state that the EU had demanded the investigation, nor that it was carrying it out itself. The only thing the EU is said to have done in the article is be the recipient of information from Apple. How is that being greedy?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

Plaintiff: Your product injured me.

Defendant: Show me some evidence of the injury.

Defendant: let me examine the device so that I may not only determine the likely cause but also protect other users from the same problem.

Judge: I find in favor of the Plaintiff for (undisclosed amount) as the defendant is clearly trying to hide a systemic lack of quality control and blatant disregard for public safety in their policy of denying that unsubstantiated claims against them without merit and in their continued refusal to correct a problem which no one can prove or demonstrate.

Nice. That would be Microsoft.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

i wouldn't go so far as to say bogus. apparently the incidents did happen. but it's only like 50 out of some several million iphones and ipods and in no pattern. plus there are a variety of other factors that could be at play such as leaving the device in the car, running it long periods of time, dropping it, spilling something on it. even unlocking it to use a non standard app could be at play if the app has the device running non stop. who knows. in the end they are likely to say that there is no way to determine what exactly caused these handful of incidents conclusively.

I doubt the credibility of such sources though.. I don't believe Apple has defective products to such an extent.