Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)

Comments

• Reply 561 of 668
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

And you sir are a petty thief. Sorry if that offends. But for guys like me who earn their living producing content for you fuck nuts and then to only have you guys steal it without paying for it simply because you refuse to press the stupid "skip forward" button is well .... thievery at best, larceny at worst.

It would be like me saying, "I don't like how much Apple charges for their iPhones so I'm going to break into their store and steal one. That'll teach 'em."

I also find it frackin' hilarious that you say "I've delcared war against those corporations and I am winning." Winning? Winning what, exactly? Winning at taking part in killing the motion picture business? You want to take down the studios so you can feel good about rampant advertising? You want to eradicate movies altogether because no one can earn an honest dollar anymore?

At least rent the damn movie, rip it and throw it onto your terabytes of other stolen intellectual property!!

With this type of group-think short-sighedness we're well on our way to seeing no quality movies or music anymore. We'll all be stuck with a bunch of skateboarding idiots and their stupid antics on YouTube and we'll pass that off as "entertainment."

I couldn't agree more. But why slam Ayn Rand? Isn't that a bit ironic that you defend entertainment capitalism and yet consider her views 'mental masturbation'?
  • Reply 562 of 668
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I think you'll see a definite uptick in Blu-ray sales this holiday season...especially with this guy selling at $299.

The PS3 was released in November 2006. Doesn't everybody who wanted one already have it?
  • Reply 563 of 668
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Hey, you go out and hustle up half a million dollars, then bust your ass for two years for no pay to get the movie made, then hit the pavement selling it to distributors who don't want to give you any money anymore for it because of declining DVD sales and piracy! And then come in here and tolerate blanket statements of "i steal my movies" and not blow a gasket.

It's the little guys like us who don't have millions of dollars, who are trying to do it the right way, and then ultimately get shafted by these childish morons who think all music and movies should be free.

Way to completely ignore my plea to not drag this thread into moral bickering.

Please everyone, resist the urge to support or reject that post. I can always hope right?

Back on topic:

Did anyone else notice the recent statistics on digital music sales?

iTunes sells 25% of all music in the US, 69% of digital

With iTS now accounting for 25% of all music sold in the US, the guessing game is now about how long before digital outsells physical distribution in regard to music. Most guesses peg that milestone as sometime in the next year or two.

Which begs the question... how soon will video follow that same trend?
  • Reply 564 of 668
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The PS3 was released in November 2006. Doesn't everybody who wanted one already have it?

You of all price conscious people should know that the answer to your question is no. I know a lot of people who have been chomping at the bit to get a PS3, but didn't want to pay $399 or $499. I think $299 is a good price sweet spot for consumers and I think you'll see proof of that this holiday season, despite all of the recession woes.
  • Reply 565 of 668
    Quote:

CD players were released in 1982. When will electronics companies realise that everyone that wanted one has had one since 1985!
  • Reply 566 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

CD players were released in 1982. When will electronics companies realise that everyone that wanted one has had one since 1985!

But almost all CD player sales are replacements or buyers who are new to the market.

There's no trend of higher CD disc sales to match.

Marz's point was that the lower price point would cause an 'uptick in BR sales' this Christmas.

If stand-alone BR players are below $300. and the PS3 demand has reached saturation level (and now appealing to 'price-conscious' buyers) would such buyers embrace BR enough to register a serious increase in sales?
  • Reply 567 of 668
    Quote:

If stand-alone BR players are below $300. and the PS3 demand has reached saturation level (and now appealing to 'price-conscious' buyers) would such buyers embrace BR enough to register a serious increase in sales?

PS3's not reached any kind of saturation due to the previous high price. Blu-ray sales are on a steady market-share increase month on month while DVD share decreases. Having a cheaper PS3 just adds to the likelihood that this trend continues.
  • Reply 568 of 668
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Way to completely ignore my plea to not drag this thread into moral bickering.

Please everyone, resist the urge to support or reject that post. I can always hope right?

Back on topic:

Did anyone else notice the recent statistics on digital music sales?

iTunes sells 25% of all music in the US, 69% of digital

With iTS now accounting for 25% of all music sold in the US, the guessing game is now about how long before digital outsells physical distribution in regard to music. Most guesses peg that milestone as sometime in the next year or two.

Which begs the question... how soon will video follow that same trend?

With digital music you have full import/export rights and an experience that is better in every way. With digital video, video quality isn't quite there compared to the physical side, file sizes in standard definition are too large to say nothing of HD, and the restrictions are extreme. With no standards and no desire from anyone to work together on one, you're limited to basically whatever device you have, and with little to no import/export right to and from DVD/BR you either have to keep all your old equipment or re-buy your entire library. It will eventually be the way things of done, but there's a lot of greed standing in the way of digital movies.
  • Reply 569 of 668
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

PS3's not reached any kind of saturation due to the previous high price. Blu-ray sales are on a steady market-share increase month on month while DVD share decreases. Having a cheaper PS3 just adds to the likelihood that this trend continues.

Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks for driving the point home.
  • Reply 570 of 668
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Couldn't have said it any better. Thanks for driving the point home.

But this line of thinking embraces the idea that those potential customers have just been sitting on their hands waiting for a cheaper PS3.

Given the crowded CE marketplace, lower BR player prices and the fact that the other two consoles were already cheaper than the PS3, I think a huge bump in PS3 adoption is probably wishful thinking.
  • Reply 571 of 668
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

But this line of thinking embraces the idea that those potential customers have just been sitting on their hands waiting for a cheaper PS3.

Given the crowded CE marketplace, lower BR player prices and the fact that the other two consoles were already cheaper than the PS3, I think a huge bump in PS3 adoption is probably wishful thinking.

I only know one guy who was waiting for the PS3 to drop in price before getting one; however, I also only know one guy who already owned a PS3, so based on my personal experience I guess they're about to see a 50% increase in sales
  • Reply 572 of 668
    Jobs is a genius.

By 2013, Blu-ray players will be found in only 16.3 percent of PCs shipped, up from 3.6 percent this year, iSuppli said, meaning DVD players will continue to be the primary optical drive in PC systems through at least the year 2013, according to Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli.

That's 2013, people.

That's past the "Blu-Ray will be good for the next five years" timeline we kept hearing about.

The chances that Apple is going to ship a Mac with Blu-Ray just went from slim...
  • Reply 573 of 668
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I've purchased three PS3s so far. THREE!!!

The 40Gig model was my first, but the fan noise was outrageous so I sold it to a friend of mine a year later. I replaced it with a current generation 80Gig model. Great machine. This month I went in halves to buy a good friend a PS3 for his birthday. He loves it.

I don't consider PS3's to be just a Blu-Ray player. To me it's a full home entertainment hub.

And because I'm a filmmaker I have the hard drive loaded with all of my projects, short films, and my feature. Plus 1000's of photos and a few gigs of music. The slideshow and music is the center of attention when I throw parties.

And here's the kicker. I was an HD-DVD supporter and LOATHED the idea of switching to Blu. And now I love it!
  • Reply 574 of 668
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:

And you sir are a petty thief. Sorry if that offends. But for guys like me who earn their living producing content for you fuck nuts and then to only have you guys steal it without paying for it simply because you refuse to press the stupid "skip forward" button is well .... thievery at best, larceny at worst.

It would be like me saying, "I don't like how much Apple charges for their iPhones so I'm going to break into their store and steal one. That'll teach 'em."

I also find it frackin' hilarious that you say "I've delcared war against those corporations and I am winning." Winning? Winning what, exactly? Winning at taking part in killing the motion picture business? You want to take down the studios so you can feel good about rampant advertising? You want to eradicate movies altogether because no one can earn an honest dollar anymore?

At least rent the damn movie, rip it and throw it onto your terabytes of other stolen intellectual property!!

With this type of group-think short-sighedness we're well on our way to seeing no quality movies or music anymore. We'll all be stuck with a bunch of skateboarding idiots and their stupid antics on YouTube and we'll pass that off as "entertainment."

Get over it, and stop hating. Everyone today watches "illegal" music videos on youtube, or downloads MP3's or movie torrents. Days are over when music/movie companies could earn zillions selling medias.

It was a short time: basically from the 1950's to the 1990' there was big money in copying and mass distributing media. Before that showbizz was - well show business. We are just getting back to those days now, which is not all that bad.

Movie theaters and concerts are booming these days. And the movie and music culture is nowhere dead! the business is just different.
  • Reply 575 of 668
    Quote:

Blu-ray players are already available for $100, a reduced PS3 only adds to the general market adoption. It's already served it's primary function which was to get BR into peoples homes in order to win the HD-disc format war over HD-DVD. 20million isn't a huge number for a Playstation branded console to sell, but it's an enormous amount of blu-ray players, a format practically no one had previously heard of.

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that lower prices don't help increase sales? Mobile phones, CD, laptops, just about everything, only took off when they became cheaper. I didn't sit on my hands waiting to get a CD player, I could only afford one when they didn't cost a fortune.

The success or otherwise of games consoles is of little interest as I need blu-ray primarily to archive data. I've had two hdd's die this year and memory sticks are still way too small and unreliable to be of practical use for archiving.

So Jobs reckons 2013 for PC's? That means we'd be stuck with RW discs at 8GB when hdd's will be up to multiple TB's?? Terrible news if true, although I can't see it myself. Sounds like he wants to push some other technology like Time Machine. Even then how are you going to easily move data around with files that are in the tens of GB's??

It seems unlikely when new film releases are already selling up to 35% on blu-ray already. Keeping a low capacity format in an HD world makes no sense, it would be like insisting on keeping floppy-discs even when CD-writers are dirt cheap.
  • Reply 576 of 668
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

So Jobs reckons 2013 for PC's? That means we'd be stuck with RW discs at 8GB when hdd's will be up to multiple TB's?? Terrible news if true, although I can't see it myself. Sounds like he wants to push some other technology like Time Machine. Even then how are you going to easily move data around with files that are in the tens of GB's??

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Jobs had anything to do with this story or the 2013 date.
  • Reply 577 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Jobs had anything to do with this story or the 2013 date.

Oh yeah! The quotes from a company called iSuppli, paraphrased three times removed. The way Frank posted it I assumed it was a Jobs quote.
  • Reply 578 of 668
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Jobs is a genius.

By 2013, Blu-ray players will be found in only 16.3 percent of PCs shipped, up from 3.6 percent this year, iSuppli said, meaning DVD players will continue to be the primary optical drive in PC systems through at least the year 2013, according to Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli.

That's 2013, people.

That's past the "Blu-Ray will be good for the next five years" timeline we kept hearing about.

The chances that Apple is going to ship a Mac with Blu-Ray just went from slim...

AppleTV and digital movies aren't going anywhere either, so I wouldn't say genius. Right now nothing is giving users much of a compelling reason to switch from DVDs.
  • Reply 579 of 668
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Right now nothing is giving users much of a compelling reason to switch from DVDs.

Although it has a far greater market penetration and percentage share of the market than DVD had after the same time period in its retail life.
  • Reply 580 of 668
    Quote:

I'm not sure why you keep insisting that lower prices don't help increase sales?

That isn't what I said. Of course more will sell at a lower price.

But primarily to consumers new to the market and those wanting replacement machines.

However, Marz referred to a pent up demand for PS3s, which I still don't believe is there.

People who couldn't afford a PS3 moved on to one of the lower priced consoles.

Nobody sits at home waiting for four years for a console price drop.