Microsoft hopes to take on Apple with dual mobile platforms

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report from Taiwan states that Microsoft intends to debut a touch interface for Windows Mobile 6.5 in early 2010, along with version 7 later that year to compete with the iPhone.

Citing sources at Taiwanese handset makers, DigiTimes reports that Microsoft will launch the latest upgrade to Windows Mobile on Oct. 1, 2009, but that a touchscreen upgrade will come in February of 2010. Following that, Windows Mobile 7 is also expected in the fourth quarter of 2010.

The two operating systems will reportedly represent a dual platform strategy from Apple's rival to the north.

"Microsoft will not phase out Windows Mobile from the market," the report states, "but will lower the OS price when it launches Windows Mobile 7."

Currently, Windows Mobile 6.5 doesn't support capacitive touchscreens, but that may change in early 2010, if the report proves true. The upcoming version was always viewed as an interim product before the launch of Windows Mobile 7, which aims to provide an experience similar to that of the iPhone.

The strategy would allegedly allow the lower-priced Windows Mobile 6.5 to compete with the free, open source Android platform, while the premium Windows Mobile 7 option would be geared toward the iPhone crowd.

With Windows Mobile 6.5, Microsoft intends to launch a store much like Apple's App Store for the iPhone. Windows Marketplace for Mobile would offer third-party applications for download that could be accessed both from the phone and the Web. Microsoft has already attempted to court iPhone developers to its new store, providing specific details on how to port applications from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 157
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Dual mobile platforms? If that is true, how stupid can that be? I guess given their experience with Vista, you can't really get the replacement/upgrade out fast enough.
  • Reply 2 of 157
    MICROSOFT is making a comeback.

Windows 7 is fierce.

Windows Mobile 6.5/7 is great

Zune HD is hot.

WOOOHOO Microsoft!
  • Reply 3 of 157
    Quote:

The strategy would allegedly allow the lower-priced Windows Mobile 6.5 to compete with the free, open source Android platform, while the premium Windows Mobile 7 option would be geared toward the iPhone crowd.

they should also release a Windows Mobile 6.75 version to target the palm pre crowd.
  • Reply 4 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Microsoft intends to debut .......Microsoft will launch... a touchscreen upgrade will come ... Windows Mobile 7 is also expected... The two operating systems will reportedly represent ... will lower the OS price when it launches Windows Mobile 7....The upcoming version ... Microsoft intends to launch a store .....

Enough said.
  • Reply 5 of 157
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Enough said.

• Reply 6 of 157
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Dual mobile platforms? If that is true, how stupid can that be? I guess given their experience with Vista, you can't really get the replacement/upgrade out fast enough.

Does that mean developers will have to decide which platform to support, or create two versions of all their apps? If I'm invested in apps from one platform will I be able to move them to the other?

I don't understand the point of fragmenting your own market like that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Enough said.

• Reply 7 of 157
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I wonder where the iPhone puck will be in 4th quarter 2010?
  • Reply 8 of 157
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Good grief. If you can't deliver, then pre-announce.
  • Reply 9 of 157
    badtuxbadtux Posts: 40member
    From a technical point of view, Windows Mobile is already a superior platform to the iPhone. WM has full multi-tasking for example. But that's not why the iPhone rocks. The iPhone rocks because it has a slick UI. Anything Microsoft makes will always look like a mess designed by geeks, because that's what it is -- designed by geeks. If Microsoft would hire real UI designers and give them the power to override the geeks maybe they could compete, but until that time (which will happen sometime after the current Microsoft management dies in a mass extinction event similar to that which took out the dinosaurs and not one minute sooner), WM phones are going to continue being also-rans bought only by businesses running Exchange who don't want to pay extra for a Crackberry.
  • Reply 10 of 157
    I wonder what blue screens will look like on a tiny mobile phone screen? I guess we'll find out soon.
  • Reply 11 of 157
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

they should also release a Windows Mobile 6.75 version to target the palm pre crowd.

There is a discount/salvage store in Mass. called Building 19, which, when first established, simply used the warehouse number as the business name to re-use an existing sign (these guys were unapologetic cheapskates). When they expanded, the next store was called 'Building 19-1/2', and then the next was called 'Building 19-3/4' and -7/8, and so on. They had tied themselves to the 'Building 19' identity and made it a running theme.

So when I read your comment, the first thing that leapt to mind was the bargain-bin Building 19 franchise and all the cheapness and chaos that made it an endearing part of low-budget living. I would not be at all surprised if Microsoft takes on the same association, although in their case I doubt it will be intentional. Or endearing.
  • Reply 12 of 157
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I wonder what blue screens will look like on a tiny mobile phone screen? I guess we'll find out soon.

LOL
  • Reply 13 of 157
    Quote:

From a technical point of view, Windows Mobile is already a superior platform to the iPhone. WM has full multi-tasking for example.

iphone OS does too...they just prevent you from running multiple apps at once. But, for example, you can play music and browse the web at the same time...they selectively allow their own apps to multitask.
  • Reply 14 of 157
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtux View Post

From a technical point of view, Windows Mobile is already a superior platform to the iPhone. WM has full multi-tasking for example. But that's not why the iPhone rocks. The iPhone rocks because it has a slick UI. Anything Microsoft makes will always look like a mess designed by geeks, because that's what it is -- designed by geeks. If Microsoft would hire real UI designers and give them the power to override the geeks maybe they could compete, but until that time (which will happen sometime after the current Microsoft management dies in a mass extinction event similar to that which took out the dinosaurs and not one minute sooner), WM phones are going to continue being also-rans bought only by businesses running Exchange who don't want to pay extra for a Crackberry.

Multi-tasking isn't a good thing for battery life.. it's not that the iPhone can't do it (e.g. iPod playing while surfing the web or making a phone call while also browsing the web or checking mail), but Apple chooses not to, because they figure that closing those background apps will be a nuisance. Sure they could implement something like Task Manager on Windows, but do we really want to burden people with managing their battery life if they forget to close Pandora and it runs down their battery a few hours later? Granted, that could happen while in the foreground, but at least you had a sense that it was running. With background apps, there's no clear way to know if a 3rd party app was running unless you had a Task Manager. So no, I don't think WM is a superior platform, otherwise people would've rushed to it in a mass exodus for the "feature" of multi-tasking, just like they "rushed" to buy the Palm Pre for its supposed multi-tasking.

But otherwise, your post sounds reasonable.. oh and of course since we're on AI, I might as well mention businesses who buy WM also don't want the iPhone and its UI, since that can connect to Exchange as well
  • Reply 15 of 157
    tummytummy Posts: 21member
    Quote:

If Microsoft would hire real UI designers and give them the power to override the geeks maybe they could compete...

They do actually hire real UI Designers and very good ones, but for some reason the results are just never as good. They use features to sell the devices and differentiate between all the different hardware instead of concentrating on a limited amount of functionality, but with an excellent user experience.
  • Reply 16 of 157
    Quote:

....But that's not why the iPhone rocks. The iPhone rocks because it has a slick UI. Anything Microsoft makes will always look like a mess designed by geeks, because that's what it is -- designed by geeks. If Microsoft would hire real UI designers and give them the power to override the geeks maybe they could compete, but until that time (which will happen sometime after the current Microsoft management dies in a mass extinction event similar to that which took out the dinosaurs and not one minute sooner), WM phones are going to continue being also-rans bought only by businesses running Exchange who don't want to pay extra for a Crackberry.

Right on! I can't remember which previous poster said this but Jobs' success is due, in part, because he's able to corral the "geeks" (no offense) and make them produce user friendly software/hardware on a consistent basis!

One only has to look at the crap MS produces, their misteps, the lame interfaces of cell phones (prior to the iPhone) and the television interfaces all of which are so clumsy and clunky compared to Apple's products!
  • Reply 17 of 157
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Like, what else can be said?
  • Reply 18 of 157
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

I know you have two people already agreeing with you on the thread, but this is such a serious misrepresentation of almost every point you cover it's almost funny. You are oversimplifying to the point of idiocy here and characterising things you apparently know little about in terms that make no sense whatsoever.

For starters, Windows Mobile is a lot of things but it is not a "superior" OS to anything. Least of all to OS-X on the iPhone. Secondly, the iPhone is not successful just because it has a "slick UI" and the implication that the underpinnings of the OS, the API's, the SDK, and the hardware have little or nothing to do with it is just a joke.

The idea that Windows Mobile would be fine if they just gussy up the interface is laugh out loud funny. Computing history is full of wonderful, attractive sexy GUI's that didn't go anywhere at all, as well as knock-out successes with more mundane looks.
  • Reply 19 of 157
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I know you have two people already agreeing with you on the thread, but this is such a serious misrepresentation of almost every point you cover it's almost funny. You are oversimplifying to the point of idiocy here and characterising things you apparently know little about in terms that make no sense whatsoever.

For starters, Windows Mobile is a lot of things but it is not a "superior" OS to anything. Least of all to OS-X on the iPhone. Secondly, the iPhone is not successful just because it has a "slick UI" and the implication that the underpinnings of the OS, the API's, the SDK, and the hardware have little or nothing to do with it is just a joke.

The idea that Windows Mobile would be fine if they just gussy up the interface is laugh out loud funny. Computing history is full of wonderful, attractive sexy GUI's that didn't go anywhere at all, as well as knock-out successes with more mundane looks.

This. Well put.

After two full years MS is still stuck in the Dark Ages. They've changed their "mobile strategy" several times, to the point where they don't know whether they're coming or going. There is a horrible lack of focus at MS, and it all comes down to its corporate culture.

MS management needs to be overhauled completey. They can start by getting rid of Ballmer. The poor idiots are all over the map.
  • Reply 20 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

.. it's not that the iPhone can't do it (e.g. iPod playing while surfing the web or making a phone call while also browsing the web or checking mail), but Apple chooses not to

Do you actually own an iPhone? I most certainly can play music whilst on the internet ...

Cheers

Jim