Apple releases MacBook Pro hard drive firmware update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A new firmware fix for some MacBook Pro hard drives aims to stop random noises, perhaps bringing relief to some who have been plagued by clicking and beeping internal drives.

Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0 was released Wednesday for some 7200rpm drives. It is intended for June 2009 model MacBook Pro systems. The 3.71MB update requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 and will update the drive firmware to 0007APM2. It can be downloaded direct from Apple.

Apple says the update "reduces certain infrequent noises" made by the drives. Last week, the Mac maker officially acknowledged noisy hard drives that have been plaguing some MacBook Pro owners for months. Prior to the public confirmation, some AppleCare representatives had told individual customers that the company was working on a fix.

The issue became impossible not to acknowledge after a thread hundreds of posts long over at the Apple Support forums developed. In that discussion, countless users have complained that their 7,200RPM hard drives will randomly click and beep, and some have experienced slower access times. The issue appears to have grown since it was first reported in January.

Some have speculated the issue may have arisen from Seagate Momentus 7200.4 G-Force hard drives. Specifically, the problem is believed to have occurred from the drive's protection system, which may be incompatible with Mac hardware. In addition, the G-Force technology is not needed on the MacBook Pro, which has pre-existing anti-shock protection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Mac OS X 10.5.7 i guess and not Mac OS X 10.6.7
  • Reply 2 of 21
    cg81cg81 Posts: 6member
    10.6.7? Are we warping to the future now for updates? Thats not out yet sir.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    I've got a 2 week old 17" uMBP and I already have 0007APM2 firmware. I tried software update and was told that my computer is up to date. I then went to the direct download and grabbed the DMG. After mounting it and double clicking on the package, it told me that I don't need the update.

But my machine still beachballs and the drive does a quiet pinging. a couple times an hour.

Sheldon
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Hmm.....reduces noises. Doesn't say jack about eliminating it. It's not fixed until it's gone for good. Band-Aid.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    My MBP was one of thousands, apparently, that refused to wake up and behaved like the hard disk was dying. I finally changed the sleep mode to 0, which seems to have fixed that problem to an extent... now, instead of going into safe sleep, it just switches off altogether and I hit the return key after an overnight sleep and it just restarts on me.

I did all the recommended stuff like resetting P&VRAM and PSM and it wasn't until I found a great article on changing the sleep mode to 0 from 3 in terminal that I got any joy at all.

Now I wait for Snow Leopard in the hope this issue will be fixed.

THAT SAID....... it's still better than ever contemplating the purchase of a (gulp) windows PC... Hurry up and fix this APPLE!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svesan03 View Post

My MBP was one of thousands, apparently, that refused to wake up and behaved like the hard disk was dying. I finally changed the sleep mode to 0, which seems to have fixed that problem to an extent... now, instead of going into safe sleep, it just switches off altogether and I hit the return key after an overnight sleep and it just restarts on me.

I did all the recommended stuff like resetting P&VRAM and PSM and it wasn't until I found a great article on changing the sleep mode to 0 from 3 in terminal that I got any joy at all.

THAT SAID....... it's still better than ever contemplating the purchase of a (gulp) windows PC... Hurry up and fix this APPLE!

Do you have iStat installed? I used to have that problem on both my MBP and MB. Once I removed iState from the Dashboard the problem seems to have disappeared (more than few months now). Good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    cdycdy Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple says the update "reduces certain infrequent noises" made by the drives. Last week, the Mac maker officially acknowledged noisy hard drives that have been plaguing some MacBook Pro owners for months. Prior to the public confirmation, some AppleCare representatives had told individual customers that the company was working on a fix.

Infrequent my .... It happen(s|ed) many times an hour for me. Mostly when Mail.app and Safari are doing things.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The 3.71MB update requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 ...

10.5.7 or later?

I'm running 10.5.8 .
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

you can have a pc and run ubuntu which is great...there's no reason to install garbage on a perfectly good computer
  • Reply 10 of 21
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Uh, oh. It only fixes the 'infrequent noises'. The frequent ones are staying. :-)
  • Reply 11 of 21
    So has anyone who had the problem applied the fix, and has it worked? By the way is there anyone who had a MBP with the 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate that did not have this problem?

Apparently Apple's Engineers determined that there were noises. That's a start, but it was the pausing and hanging that was of the greatest concern. I hope this Firmware update addresses the problem better than Apple's cop out statement.

Interesting about iStat. There is a new version 4.9, I wonder if it addresses the problem you were having.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb.../istatpro.html
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccpu View Post

Apparently Apple's Engineers determined that there were noises. That's a start, but it was the pausing and hanging that was of the greatest concern.

Actually, for those of us in music/audio production, the noises make the Macbook with this drive a non-starter. My Toshiba Vista laptop has this issue as well.

S
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snegbert View Post

Actually, for those of us in music/audio production, the noises make the Macbook with this drive a non-starter.

Well if all they fix are the noises, you will have an opportunity to experience how system freezes impact music/audio production in silence.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Crossing my fingers.

Haven't heard a beeb-click since the upgrade (knocking on my hardwood-desk very hard after writing this .... )
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nine days View Post

Mac OS X 10.5.7 i guess and not Mac OS X 10.6.7

• Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CG81 View Post

10.6.7? Are we warping to the future now for updates? Thats not out yet sir.

+1. Not in the meantime.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

don't bother

i've been using Windows since the 1990's and sleep never worked properly. it was always something between the hardware and software. works a lot better in WIndows 7, but not enough for me to stop shutting off my PC instead of putting it to sleep
  • Reply 18 of 21
    j2nhj2nh Posts: 3member
    Ran disk utility on my brand new MBP 17" with the affected drive.

Ran the Firmware Updater.

Computer will now not start, hard drive corrupted, an is non repairable by Disk Utility when the machine is started in Target Mode. Looking forward to prompt service from Apple this AM.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

don't bother

i've been using Windows since the 1990's and sleep never worked properly. it was always something between the hardware and software. works a lot better in WIndows 7, but not enough for me to stop shutting off my PC instead of putting it to sleep

I remember few years back Windows damaged my Gateway laptop HDD because of sleep/Hibernation. A year or so later MS issued a fix but It was too late for me.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    So here is what I have found out. Applications that use a larger amount of your processor speed will affect the pinging sounds.

I tested this with transmission.

I left it running then turned on Insomina and closed the lid to my MBP 13inch (1month old) my computer made noises I didn't think a Mac could ever make. When I quit transmission the noises go away.

Note: I use a 32inch tv thru HDMi so I can leave my laptop shut and use it more like a desktop. That is when the problem is most evident. When the computer is being used as a normal laptop the noises are still there burt significantly lower.