Apple takes double-digit PC market share in Canada

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Propelled by the strength of its MacBook lineup, Apple has taken a 10 percent market share of personal computers in Canada, new sales figures show.

"It's certainly been Apple's most impressive quarter, if not ever, certainly going back as far as I can look, and that goes into the '90s," Tim Brunt, senior analyst personal computing and technology with IDC Canada told AppleInsider. "They certainly had a banner quarter up here."

While the rest of the Canadian PC market was sluggish during the second quarter of 2009, Apple, much like in the U.S., is at a record-setting pace. The numbers from IDC Canada, a market data supplier, show that Apple's year-over-year sales grew 24.8 percent from Q2 2008, thanks to the success of portable computer offerings from the Cupertino, Calif., company.

Overall PC sales in Canada were down 14.6 percent year over year, and off 12 percent from Q1 2009. In all, 1.2 million computers were shipped. Brunt explained that Canada has lagged behind the U.S. and the rest of the world as the global recession has finally begun to have its effect on the nation.

"We enterted the recession a lot later than happened in the U.S., so last quarter and this quarter we're just starting to see the effects of it," he said. "We're coming out of it fairly quickly."

The top PC maker in Canada for the quarter was HP, which held the No. 1 position with a 22.1 percent share. However, its total year-over-year impact was down 25.3 percent. Nipping at HP's heels is Dell, which controls 20.7 percent of the market.

Like in the U.S., netbook sales are booming, selling 114,000 units in Q2 in Canada, a growth of over 200 percent year over year. In all, netbooks represented 25 percent of all units shipped. Desktop PCs didn't fare well, though, shrinking 36.8 percent in market share from a year prior.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    does this mean we are cooler per capita than the States?
  • Reply 2 of 62
    its aboot time!
  • Reply 3 of 62
    That's pretty impressive! Just imagine what they could do if they actually realized Canada existed.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

does this mean we are cooler per capita than the States?

No- it just means that your wealthiest 10% has just wisend up.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Propelled by the strength of its MacBook lineup, Apple has taken a 10 percent market share of personal computers in Canada, new sales figures show.

You mean they actually use computers in Canada?

Who knew.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I am actually a little surprised the Apple didn't break 10% here before. Just from personal, anecdotal evidence, the number of people buying Macs has exploded in recent years. 5 years ago, other than my father and brother, I was the only person I knew that owned Macs, but we have used them for decades. At work, I think there may have been one person that had one. Now, I have a couple friends that have each bought 2 Macs in the last 3 years and my sister bought her first and second Macs over the last 4 years. At work, the number of people with Macs at home has exploded. In the last couple years I know two VPs bought them for their families, 2 directors have them and at least one other developer bought one to start doing iPhone development.

In terms of people I interact with on a regular basis that have bought new computers over the last couple years (that I am aware of), far more than 10% have gone Mac. All this without an Apple Store in town and only one specialty Mac store that open a couple years ago. I was at FutureShop a week or so ago and the Mac mini-store was surrounded by lots of people...at least half of the people in the overall PC dept were looking at Macs or talking to the visiting Mac genius or FS staffer about the Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    You Canucks got class.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    801801 Posts: 271member
    They can afford to buy Macs with not having to pay for health care.

(OK, OK, just trying to get everyone riled up. Take it easy...)
  • Reply 9 of 62
    I hope this means that I'll have to spend less time defending my insistence on using a Mac at work. At the past 3 employers (2 full time, 1 contract), it's been PC or fuggedaboutit. The two employers were actually Mac hostile.

In Vancouver, there seems to be a split between the small developers and techies who use Macs about 75-90% (this is easily seen by looking in the window of any of the coffee shops) and the larger businesses, who are exactly the opposite (75-90% PC). Not sure if that's the case all over Canada, or the US for that matter. It's almost as if the Mac is the computer of the individual (who knows better and doesn't have an IT Dept. to support them and rebuild their systems when they fail) and the PC is the computer of corporate, no-one-ever-got-fired-for-buying-Windows group.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    At this rate, the old flag will have to be renamed 'Mapple Leaf,' eh?
  • Reply 11 of 62
    I'm the world's biggest Apple fan having owned them since 1979 and worked there for 10 years, but.... I'm wondering how much of the downturn in PC sales is due to people waiting for the official release of Win7 on new hardware purchases. Unfortunately I need to buy a new desktop PC (don't ask it's too painful) and I know I'm waiting.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddrucker View Post

I hope this means that I'll have to spend less time defending my insistence on using a Mac at work. At the past 3 employers (2 full time, 1 contract), it's been PC or fuggedaboutit. The two employers were actually Mac hostile.

In Vancouver, there seems to be a split between the small developers and techies who use Macs about 75-90% (this is easily seen by looking in the window of any of the coffee shops) and the larger businesses, who are exactly the opposite (75-90% PC). Not sure if that's the case all over Canada, or the US for that matter. It's almost as if the Mac is the computer of the individual (who knows better and doesn't have an IT Dept. to support them and rebuild their systems when they fail) and the PC is the computer of corporate, no-one-ever-got-fired-for-buying-Windows group.

I would agree that Macs are selling mainly to consumers right now and not corporate sales. We do some Mac development here and I have heard that there is a definite uptick in Mac sales, so I do think there is an upturn on the corporate side as well, just not as prominent yet.

But, if the reported numbers are from overall PC sales in Canada and not just consumer sales, that really speaks volumes about just how many individuals are buying for their own use. For the increase from personal sales to impact the overall PC market means Macs are flying in the consumer space.

For your coffee shop observation, I would have to agree again. In one popular coffee shop I visit next to the UW campus, I have made it a habit of quickly counting how laptops there are and how many are Macs. Almost every time, it is at least 50% Macs, often far more than 50%. These are mainly students, but often are also lots of tech workers (RIM, Google, OpenText and Sybase offices are just down the street) and others.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

That's pretty impressive! Just imagine what they could do if they actually realized Canada existed.

It's that big almost unpopulated place north of here, where the people talk funny. Am I right?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Actually you can walk by any coffee shop even in the poorest parts of town (where I live of course), and see at least 40/60, Macs vs. PCs in use at any one time.

Canadians are generally more progressive than US citizens and usually a bit more open to trying something new given that it's a "newer" country than the US, that also changes faster than the US.

The poorer citizens just buy second-hand Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The poorer citizens just buy second-hand Macs.

We call them used..... but never mind....
  • Reply 16 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's that big almost unpopulated place north of here, where the people talk funny. Am I right?

Don't forget it's also the only country to have kicked the US's ass in a war, invaded your soil all the way to the Mississippi and burned the White House to the ground.

Just Sayin.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Don't forget it's also the only country to have kicked the US's ass in a war, invaded your soil all the way to the Mississippi and burned the White House to the ground.

Just Sayin.

I assume you are referring to the War of 1812. You will find that war was with Great Britain, and was fought to a draw.

Anyway, on the actual topic:

Quote:

...Apple's year-over-year sales grew 24.8 percent from Q2 2008... Overall PC sales in Canada were down 14.6 percent year over year...

So, if you removed Apple's sales growth from the overall PC sales figures, by how much did the Windows PC market shrink in Canada? By 20% perhaps?

That it seems to me is another big, untold part of this story.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Enjoy...I love this girl's tongue for some reason!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQf13B8epw
  • Reply 19 of 62
    After getting my first mac in Dec of 2008 I have personally converted no less than 10 people to the cult of mac. All it takes is a quick spin in iPhoto for most and they are sold. Have not had one person say they regretted switching. Though a couple of them did require me to help them install a copy of windows for some specific work related items (usually VPN software).
  • Reply 20 of 62
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wait a minute, what about the position that Mac/Apple is the best value proposition. Lowest cost of ownership, best value, etc. They would not have to be wealthy, there would just be more brilliant people in Canada than the USA.

You can't be both elitist and value conscious at the same time.

Let's keep our stories straight. You start sounding like you make it up as you go....