Buy new iMac or wait until October/November?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dirtybobby View Post

mate, you have such a bizarre impression of other peoples' relationships lol.. her PC is in the living room, where she asked it to be, so she could use it while i watch tv/read the paper/etc. so she wasn't poked away in a room on her own.. setting her up with an account on the imac would be pointless, because not only will it be in my office but she has absolutely no desire to use it..

I'm relieved to hear that. We have had some recent reports of strange practices by some people in the area. I don't want to go into details but I'm happy that she is a free bird.

Quote:

the amount i spend on a computer has absolutely no bearing on a relationship, what on earth are you on about?? lol.. i guess if i was spending the holiday fund or something and depriving the poor lass of something, she might have cause for concern, but that isn't the case..

You would be very surprised about how many relationships go tits up over money.

Quote:

and in this context, it isn't "chump change".. i get educational discount, so i will be buying the imac for less than a grand.. suddenly £145 doesn't seem so insignificant..

Well we hope that you will be getting a good deal. No telling what Apple will do with the prices though I suspect that the cost of an iMac will come down.

Quote:

anyway, it's all moot - i mentioned it to her the other day and she agreed that spending a grand on a computer, only to have it superceded a couple of weeks later, is daft.. so, looks like i'm waiting until the new models come out, and she can get her own ipod at some point lol.. or maybe she'll get it as an xmas present, who knows

Sounds like my type of girl! Rational and a spend thrift.

All I can say is best of luck and hopefully that include iMacs with a major overhaul in the near future.

Dave
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whophlungdung View Post

Should I wait to buy a new iMac 2.93 or pull the trigger now?

New Touch (US $228) will now start at 16 GB for same entry price as todays 8GB model, have camera and microphone and most likely have video capability like iPhone. Higher memory Touch's will also have double the memory capacity at current prices.

New iMacs will probably be at current or sleightly lower price point but have better processors and more memory, bigger hard drives-- and of course will have SL OS. Hopefully high end IMac will have quad processor and high performance graphics processor board.It's getting a little upsetting to see MS OS machines routinely now with quad processors, gobs of hs memory, terabyte hard drives and all of the normal input/output ports for $1000 or less-- AAPL definitly needs to improve IMac hardware all around.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    I really doubt any new iMacs will come in October or November.

Intel has new processors coming in September, but they're desktop processors that are too hot and mobile processors that are too expensive.

First quarter of next year is a better bet for iMacs and Macbooks. Plus Nvidia has promised to have a P55 competitor out around then.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I really doubt any new iMacs will come in October or November.

Intel has new processors coming in September, but they're desktop processors that are too hot and mobile processors that are too expensive.

First quarter of next year is a better bet for iMacs and Macbooks. Plus Nvidia has promised to have a P55 competitor out around then.

I'd agree with that. Even then I don't think there will be major design changes, just internal components, so if you really, really need the iMac now - get it.

2.93gHz isnt exactly sluggish If you wait about, then you'll go without a new mac until apple upgrade
  • Reply 25 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applereviews View Post

I'd agree with that. Even then I don't think there will be major design changes, just internal components, so if you really, really need the iMac now - get it.

Well obviously if you need it buy now. This wasn't the indication I was getting though. At this point Snow Leopard is a week or two away and after that we should see a whole raft of benchmarks which should lead to a better understanding about how SL behaves on this older tech.

Quote:

2.93gHz isnt exactly sluggish If you wait about, then you'll go without a new mac until apple upgrade

Well it isn't bad for a Core Two processor but it doesn't reflect state of the art performance anymore. In fact the current iMac processors have a hard time keeping up with generic desktops running i7 derived hardware. It's all realative but you can't dismiss that the processor is kinda pathetic.

Considering the last non update of the iMac I think it would be very worthwhile to wait for a real update. It simply means getting buy with what you have for a month or two.

Dave
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Well it isn't bad for a Core Two processor but it doesn't reflect state of the art performance anymore. In fact the current iMac processors have a hard time keeping up with generic desktops running i7 derived hardware. It's all realative but you can't dismiss that the processor is kinda pathetic.

Considering the last non update of the iMac I think it would be very worthwhile to wait for a real update. It simply means getting buy with what you have for a month or two.

Well said, I agreed with this. As an iMac owner (top of the line 2008...), I bought it in a sale as this year's 'non-update' leaped up in price for no reason I could identify other than...well, that's Apple for you. So, I punished them the only way a consumer can. Don't buy. Wait for a 'real' update to come later this year. I might trade my iMac or sell it for the new iMac if it's Nehalem derived and has a better gpu... I really need more threads for 3d rendering. Nehalem with 8 threads puts the dual core 2.93 to the sword. It's twice as fast. At least.

Surely even Apple won't have the audacity to keep the iMac 'STILL' dual core only with low end gpus?

To be fair, the iMac is a very good machine. I've no complaints in general usage. But in context of what the wintel market is offering performance wise for less money? Boutique. Competitive with other AIOs....but not with mainstream computer options. As Apple only offers an AIO, the iMac doesn't really have a leg or stand to stand on...really.

*Looks at the heavens...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

As an iMac owner (top of the line 2008...), I bought it in a sale as this year's 'non-update' leaped up in price for no reason I could identify other than...well, that's Apple for you.

However, at the time I made you fully aware of the reason for the UK iMac price increases. So your "that's Apple for you" comment is just a plain falsehood.

Note to other posters.

In between Apple releasing their 2009 and 2008 iMacs, the value of the UK Pound against the Dollar dropped by 30%

What Lemon is still whining about (even after he knows the truth) is that basically he expected Apple to sell iMacs in the UK for no profit!
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

I would wait, because if a new version comes out you will be gutted. Thats why I am waiting a bit longer.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

However, at the time I made you fully aware of the reason for the UK iMac price increases. So your "that's Apple for you" comment is just a plain falsehood.

Note to other posters.

In between Apple releasing their 2009 and 2008 iMacs, the value of the UK Pound against the Dollar dropped by 30%

What Lemon is still whining about (even after he knows the truth) is that basically he expected Apple to sell iMacs in the UK for no profit!

Apple computers in the UK have always been sold at significantly more than their US counterparts (even before VAT), the "no profit" line is a joke, okay, they'd be making less profit, but saying no profit would imply they don't make any profit in the US.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Well, I hope it comes out before the Holidays.... I sold my macbook thinking I could go ahead and purchase the 24" iMac.

Then, I start to see all these wonderful posting of a possible new iMac....

Now, I have to wait and see!

Going forward, never sell anything you need until you replace it with what you want!\
  • Reply 31 of 32
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackies35 View Post

Well, I hope it comes out before the Holidays.... I sold my macbook thinking I could go ahead and purchase the 24" iMac.

Then, I start to see all these wonderful posting of a possible new iMac....

Now, I have to wait and see!

Going forward, never sell anything you need until you replace it with what you want!\

We're all looking to see what is revealed when all the Apple Stores online reopen.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Easy answer: WAIT!