multiple OSX systems on same Mac

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Before I go partition crazy, is there any easier way to have multiple systems on one Mac?

For development purposes I have to install

-OS X Server 10.2

-OS X Client 10.2

-OS X Client 10.1

-Empty partition for future (10.3) OS testing

-Partition for data.

Its a 50GB HD so I was thinking of making 2GB partitions for each OS and then one big partition for the data.

Also, Can I have ONE User folder? Just add links to each partition? I will use 10.2.3 Client as the main dev and usage OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    well... i have a few more hours before I go forth with the operation.

will do it tomorrow.

I just backed up all info and ready to operate.

so... any suggestions?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Buy a new harddrive =-).

On each of those folders the apps itself could take 2gb (well it does on mine).

I reccomend giving atleast 4 to each.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I honestly think the only way to do it is with partitions. Sorry
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by OTCameron:

<strong>Buy a new harddrive =-).

On each of those folders the apps itself could take 2gb (well it does on mine).

I reccomend giving atleast 4 to each.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'll compromise for 3, howabbouthat?

The reason I ask is that I recall that there was an app for MacOS 9 that let you have multiple systems on the same partition.

thanks for zee input
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    If you are doing it for testing purposes, you will want to have them on entirely separate partitions anyway, no matter what OS your are testing.

You want to make sure that one install does not interfere with another in any way, to ensure the quality of your testing.

What I always do when I get a new computer is I immedialy partition into 3 partitions. The current release OS goes on one, OS 9 goes on another, and the third partition is used to install any development versions of Mac OS X that i need to install for testing purposes.

Works well for me.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    To use one Home directory among those various OSs, launch the NetInfo Manager thats located in your Utilities folder, select "/" in the top pane, then select "Users," select the user you want to modify the Home directory for, scroll-down in the bottom pane until you see "home" listed in the left column, then finally click on the directory path to change it (you may have to authenticate yourself first in order to make changes). Save your changes and that should be it. You may have to have to same user name for each of the installs, but I doubt it (might be good to do this just in case).

Here's an example on what to change it to:

Lets say you have three partitions named "10.2 Client," "10.2 Server," and "10.1 Client. If you have started-up with 10.2 Client and want to change your Home directory to the one used by OS 10.1 Client, change the Home directory path to "/10.1 Client/Users/&lt;account name used by 10.1&gt;"

Be warned, though: You'll be using the same preference files (including system preference files) for 10.2 Client, 10.2 Server, and 10.1 Client and I have absolutely no idea whether those preferences are compatible across OS versions.

Anyway, I hope this helps =)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>What I always do when I get a new computer is I immedialy partition into 3 partitions. The current release OS goes on one, OS 9 goes on another, and the third partition is used to install any development versions of Mac OS X that i need to install for testing purposes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OMG!! Moki has Rhapsody!! :eek:

Anyway, I would go with at least 4 Gb per partion as someone else says.. You need to have the System folder and a users folder, and library, and apps folder. The System itself is 1-1.5 Gig already. -And then developer tools on top of that...

Regarding using the same users folder for all OS', I would wisely recommend against doing that.(!)