Briefly: Snow Leopard ship date, iPhone 3GS HD video

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is all fine and good... but what about the really important questions? Like, have you seen the new Avatar trailer?

I have and it looks like it'll actually be worth the wait!
  • Reply 82 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I don't believe it's AUG 28, why hide the release date less than a week away? Don't you want to hype up customers to go and purchase it?

Also if the iPhone 3GS and upcoming iPod Touch can even play 720p externally, let alone 1080p, then the upcoming Zune HD got served before it's even released! The microsoft fanboys on engadget would once again have no ammunition.

It?s not what it can potentially play as we know from the HW in the 3GS that 720p is possible and that 1080p is not possible without the high probability of dropped frames. Unless the next iPod Touch will play HD video then MS does still win. I think it?s somewhat likely that the iPod Touch will have a feature that will only come in the next iPhone, like last year when the new headphones had volume controls and other buttons but the iPhone couldn?t use them because the input controller wasn?t sophisticated enough for it. Had to wait 9 months for it in the 3Gs.
  • Reply 83 of 84
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Yep because they are integrated and probably underclocked to meet heat specs in the confined space of the laptop case.

This idea that Apple uses superior components is just a myth. They use the same commodity components as Dell and HP. It used to be that they used better screens, but even that is no longer true....snip.......

Wow cydates, Logisticaldron, Teno, this is the freshest discussion of value of computers and Mac vs. PC I've seen in a long while, maybe the best. Really boils it down. I agree with all of you, here is why...

I'd say that Macs have many premium hardware "features". The unique trackpads and gestures, things like the Mighty Mouse, great case design (used to be even better..), the Maglock power, good power adapters, the ADC (some may like it, I don't like extra custom connectors but some like it)..what used to be easy to change batteries, the indicator lights on batteries, the lit keyboard, accessibility to upgrading, at least back in the day for Airport and RAM, and still for the towers etc etc. Also, the tower handles are a GREAT feature on the desktops. I haven't seen a single PC like this. PCs suck to move. Speaking of desktops, one word: iMacs. No PC comes remotely close to a single model of iMac for design, ever. At least that I have seen.

Usually Apple is first, sometimes by years, with features like these. Eventually, most of them migrate to PCs. Sometimes PCs never come up to the same level of quality. Generally speaking, when you look at PC laptops, with all their buttons on the keyboard, their crappy trackpad and trackpad software, etc. they do not compete.

My experience has been the following:

The best part of Macs has always been MacOS.

Applications, either 3rd party or made by Apple, have been the second-most common reason to get a Mac. Mac Office, seriously. Adobe. Music/MIDI. iLife. Small devs like GraphicConv.

Third is the premium hardware. It used to be extremely premium in quality all-around. Now it is these extra "features", like the ones I mentioned, rather than all-around quality. Overall I like how they use industry-standard components now, like ditching Nubus, PowerPC, ADB, and other custom stuff.

Well, that just seems to be my experience for why people pay more for Macs. Are these nice hardware features worth hundreds? To some people. But, the hardware extras + MacOS + Mac apps? Of course! That's why we all have one, right!

And for quality... My Color Classic still works great.
  • Reply 84 of 84
    nm