What is in store for the Cinema screens?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm hessitant buying a Mac Pro as I don't want to buy a old 30" cinema screen. But it's the only Apple Screen that currently works with the EVGA 285 graphics card. I know that I could just buy a screen by another manufacture (both cheaper and better), but if I've just spent a fortune on a Mac Pro rig, I want it to be Apple all the way.

I don't understand why Apple haven't updated the Cinema screens (made some specially for desktops), but even if they updated them, they will probably make them with just one connection: the Mini DisplayPort, and I would still have the same problem

Does anyone have a clue why there is currently not being produced any adapters, is it impossible, does DVI not support HD or what?

What about EVGA and other graphic manufactures, don't they see the advantage in supporting Apple's new standard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApple21 View Post

I'm hessitant buying a Mac Pro as I don't want to buy a old 30" cinema screen. But it's the only Apple Screen that currently works with the EVGA 285 graphics card. I know that I could just buy a screen by another manufacture (both cheaper and better), but if I've just spent a fortune on a Mac Pro rig, I want it to be Apple all the way.

I don't understand why Apple haven't updated the Cinema screens (made some specially for desktops), but even if they updated them, they will probably make them with just one connection: the Mini DisplayPort, and I would still have the same problem

Does anyone have a clue why there is currently not being produced any adapters, is it impossible, does DVI not support HD or what?

What about EVGA and other graphic manufactures, don't they see the advantage in supporting Apple's new standard

The current 30" display is a good one, and it's not the same panel as it was when the first 30" was introduced, even if it has the same shell. I don't know if other 30" displays are using better panels or not. They claim somewhat better contrast ratios, but I wouldn't be surprised if the competitors are using full on/full off whereas Apple probably uses more ANSI-like contrast ratio numbers.

Apple is probably waiting for an LED backlit version of the 30" panel before replacing the current 30" model.

I wonder if a camera makes sense on such a large display. If I cared to actually use a web cam, I would set up a good DV camcorder to do the job.

I think a DVI to displayport adapter is possible, but there might not be a market for it yet, Display Port hasn't been so broadly accepted that it's necessary to have. I think it might introduce a little bit of lag, a frame's worth, because DP is a different protocol that needs conversion.

DVI can pass HD, and pass HD encryption, I don't think that's the problem.

I don't know if this is at all helpful, just letting you know what I know, with my own speculation added.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Problem solved.

Hardly, you missed the part that it's a single link adapter only.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The current 30" display is a good one, and it's not the same panel as it was when the first 30" was introduced, even if it has the same shell. I don't know if other 30" displays are using better panels or not. They claim somewhat better contrast ratios, but I wouldn't be surprised if the competitors are using full on/full off whereas Apple probably uses more ANSI-like contrast ratio numbers.

Apple is probably waiting for an LED backlit version of the 30" panel before replacing the current 30" model.

I wonder if a camera makes sense on such a large display. If I cared to actually use a web cam, I would set up a good DV camcorder to do the job.

I think a DVI to displayport adapter is possible, but there might not be a market for it yet, Display Port hasn't been so broadly accepted that it's necessary to have. I think it might introduce a little bit of lag, a frame's worth, because DP is a different protocol that needs conversion.

DVI can pass HD, and pass HD encryption, I don't think that's the problem.

I don't know if this is at all helpful, just letting you know what I know, with my own speculation added.

Thank you, it was helpful and informative as I didn't know that they (Apple) have updated the 30" since it's release. Also the information about DisplaPort to DVI was welcome.

I think you're right regarding Apple awaiting for some reasonably priced LED screens to hit the market.

I'm wondering whether 3rd party graphics manufactures like EVGA would begin to produce their "Mac cards" with MiniDisplayPort?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Problem solved.

Thank you for the answer, I just think you misunderstood a minor detail

What I need is a DVI-male to MiniDisplayPort-female, so that I can connect Apple's 24" LED cinemascreen to the EVGA GeForce 285 card.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

I'm wondering whether 3rd party graphics manufactures like EVGA would begin to produce their "Mac cards" with MiniDisplayPort?

Assuming you haven't already bought your card, you can get the Radeon 4870 from Apple, it has one MDP and one dual link DVI port. I don't really know if that's an acceptable compromise for you or not, but that is one option. The 4870 works in all Mac Pros too, even though they don't officially support it on the first generation ones.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Assuming you haven't already bought your card, you can get the Radeon 4870 from Apple, it has one MDP and one dual link DVI port. I don't really know if that's an acceptable compromise for you or not, but that is one option. The 4870 works in all Mac Pros too, even though they don't officially support it on the first generation ones.

I have thought about it, but the 285 is according to most benchmarks 30-50 % faster than the ATI 4870. Fortunately I've found a way to connect the 285 to the 24" cinemascreen, but I have to use two adapters, so I don't know about static an so on.

This is the link for the adapter:

MiniDisplayPort female to DisplayPort female: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...ter-Cable.html

DisplayPort to DVI-I: http://www.startech.com/item/DP2DVI-...e-Adapter.aspx

And then need a DVI-I male-to-male

This should work, I will investigate this further, I'm crossing my fingers
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Thanks for your idea

comparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport - simulation assurance vie ! Les sites de simulation assurance viecomparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I'm hoping for an iMac update, or even better som new Cinemascreens

It's probably just maintenance
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I've been searching the internet like mad, and now I've found what I'm looking for.

This adapter offers exactly what I and maybe others need, a solution that enable us to use the 24" Apple Cinema Screen with a EVGA 285 graphics car

It's not for sale yet though, but it will be.

This is the link: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/fo...er-thread.html