Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 21 of 215
    Before you update to SL

just have a quick look at this site to check comparability with your existing software.

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Great news to finally have SL on the way.
  • Reply 22 of 215
    One of the worst kept secrets.... even the box was leaked...

I'd almost prefer not to see the leaks, but it is so hard these days unless you turn off the internet. I will be getting mine on Friday. I had zero issues with Leopard from Day one... I might be the exception to the rule, but can't wait of SL to be unleashed!
  • Reply 23 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Not for me. I bought a new MBP just a month ago, but then I have two more Macs in my household, so... I still have to purchase the family pack.

If you bought them (or some of them) on the same invoice, you could just get one copy and request the right to copy.

Quote:

Multiple Qualifying Computers on a Single Invoice

If you purchased multiple qualifying systems on a single invoice, you can either (1) purchase a Single-User Upgrade Kit for each qualifying product, at a cost of US$9.95*; or (2) purchase fewer Single-User Upgrade Kits and request the Right to Copy for the remaining qualifying products.

• Reply 24 of 215
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Robbie View Post

Before you update to SL

just have a quick look at this site to check comparability with your existing software.

Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 25 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

One of the worst kept secrets.... even the box was leaked...

I'd almost prefer not to see the leaks, but it is so hard these days unless you turn off the internet.

One day you'll give up caring about that crap.
  • Reply 26 of 215
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Good bye Windows 7!
  • Reply 27 of 215
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    I'm glad that, ironically, they haven't updated their macosx page in any country other than the U.S so I could find out what has been changed. Other than more welcome improvements, albert small, they also refined a little bit of the interface of quicktime. Is there anyone using 10A432 can tell if that tweak is already there?
  • Reply 28 of 215
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    FYI, the online Apple Store says "Delivers on August 28th", not "Ships on August 28th".
  • Reply 29 of 215
    Anyone know if 10A432 is the final version? If so, I already have Snow Leopard
  • Reply 30 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

I'm glad that, ironically, they haven't updated their macosx page in any country other than the U.S so I could find out what has been changed. Other than more welcome improvements, albert small, they also refined a little bit of the interface of quicktime. Is there anyone using 10A432 can tell if that tweak is already there?

I see you edited your post, a minute ago it is 10A431. I was confused.
  • Reply 31 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cendrillon View Post

Anyone know if it is 10A432 is the final version? If so, I already have Snow Leopard

Same here and it's pretty meh to be honest. Can't even tell it's new.
  • Reply 32 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Robbie View Post

Before you update to SL

Thanks for that....did I read that SL will have an automatic compatibility check as part of the install?

I remember upgrading to Leopard from Tiger and my "Transparent Dock" app crashed it to a blue screen.

I was thinking of just taking all my 'secondary' apps like aquisition, handbrake, PDF Pen, PDF Shrink, Fetch, SnapNDrag, EasyBatch Photo, SMARTReporter, etc., and temporarily taking them out of the Applications folder and upgrading to SL and then put them back in the Application Folder.

Any Thoughts!

• Reply 33 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

Same here and it's pretty meh to be honest. Can't even tell it's new.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Although my girlfriend loves the chinese character entry, and I do like Quicktime X.
  • Reply 34 of 215
    Guys, I have a question: I'm running Leopard with iLife '08. Does SL upgrade to '09 or will I have to buy the current iLife suite separately?

Thanks
  • Reply 35 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cendrillon View Post

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Although my girlfriend loves the chinese character entry, and I do like Quicktime X.

Might do a clean install and see if by clearing out all the crap I've accumulated it'll speed it up
  • Reply 36 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illinisouth View Post

Guys, I have a question: I'm running Leopard with iLife '08. Does SL upgrade to '09 or will I have to buy the current iLife suite separately?

Thanks

Pretty sure iLife '09 is not included with SL. You can buy the 'Mac Box Set,' SL, iLife '09 and iWork '09 for $169.
  • Reply 37 of 215
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Words of wisdom

If your not technically inclined or up to speed on OS X, wait for the "early adopters" to work out the bugs first and can report first hand if this or that works correctly. Printer drivers and third party video cards additions (non factory for MacPro's) all need to be updated, as well as plug-ins and other third party products like Firefox, Adobe and M$ software and so on. This takes time or they may wait for a product update and you'll have to pay to upgrade.

A OS upgrade disk plus a previous OS install disk is a pain in the arse later on if you need to boot from the install cd and repair the newer installed operating system. The previous OS most likely won't be able to repair a newer OS install. So if your going to buy a Mac because of the newer OS, wait for the Snow Leopard install disks to arrive in the box. You'll know because when you buy a Mac in a Apple Store, they tape on a Snow Leopard upgrade disk to the outside of the box, because inside, sealed up, is a previous Leopard install disk.

Clone your previous Leopard OS X to a external powered firewire hard drive and hold option boot from it to verify it's fine BEFORE updating to Snow Leopard. Carbon Copy Cloner is my preferred cloning software of choice as it's the original and in my opinion still the best. (see my cloning tips in Genius sticky thread)

I for one will most likely be buying a new 15" matte screen MacBook Pro, with the Snow Leopard install disks (not upgrade) as soon as they are available and slowly migrate over as the bugs and third party software gets worked out.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the the problems with the MacBook's stock hard drives, I guess the hard drive makers are seeing their demise with Apple introducing SSD options now, so they are dropping quality to make as much money before closing shop. This isn't a good thing for our data and system reliability.
  • Reply 38 of 215
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Pretty sure iLife '09 is not included with SL. You can buy the combo pack, SL, iLife '09 and iWork '09 for $169 (I think that's the right price)

Oh yes, the newer iLife certainly won't be included in SL upgrade disks.

Another good reason to wait for Snow Leopard INSTALL disks if buying a new Mac.

Of course if money is no object, then by all means get it.
  • Reply 39 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Words of wisdom

If your not technically inclined or up to speed on OS X, wait for the "early adopters" to work out the bugs first and can report first hand if this or that works correctly. Printer drivers and third party video cards additions (non factory for MacPro's) all need to be updated, as well as plug-ins and other third party products like Firefox, Adobe and M$ software and so on. This takes time or they may wait for a product update and you'll have to pay to upgrade.

A OS upgrade disk plus a previous OS install disk is a pain in the arse later on if you need to boot from the install cd and repair the newer installed operating system. The previous OS most likely won't be able to repair a newer OS install. So if your going to buy a Mac because of the newer OS, wait for the Snow Leopard install disks to arrive in the box. You'll know because when you buy a Mac in a Apple Store, they tape on a Snow Leopard upgrade disk to the outside of the box, because inside, sealed up, is a previous Leopard install disk.

Clone your previous Leopard OS X to a external powered firewire hard drive and hold option boot from it to verify it's fine BEFORE updating to Snow Leopard. Carbon Copy Cloner is my preferred cloning software of choice as it's the original and in my opinion still the best. (see my cloning tips in Genius sticky thread)

This is very good advice....hard to follow though with all the excitement to do a quick upgrade! I think I will at least wait a week to see the forums as far as problems.
  • Reply 40 of 215
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Words of wisdom

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the the problems with the MacBook's stock hard drives, I guess the hard drive makers are seeing their demise with Apple introducing SSD options now, so they are dropping quality to make as much money before closing shop. This isn't a good thing for our data and system reliability.

Words of Wisdom? You have to be kidding.

Cut the conspiracy theory. That is the most asinine thing I have heard.