Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 41 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Oh yes, the newer iLife certainly won't be included in SL upgrade disks.

Another good reason to wait for Snow Leopard INSTALL disks if buying a new Mac.

Of course if money is no object, then by all means get it.

As I'm retired, money is always an object. Thanks for your help
  • Reply 42 of 215
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Robbie View Post

Before you update to SL

just have a quick look at this site to check comparability with your existing software.

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Thank you.

Hopefully more people will check it out and bookmark it before Friday.

That and Apple's Snow Leopard sites, i.e., every tab on the page is well worth getting familiar with. http://www.apple.com/macosx/
  • Reply 43 of 215
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Good news. It will make for fairer Windows 7 vs. Mac OS X reviews than last time when Vista was compared to Tiger instead of Leopard.

I'm sure a few Windows fansites will still compare W7 to Leopard instead of Snow Leopard though, just to try and skew things in their favour (i.e., W7 doesn't appear to be a fustercluck like Vista).

As for everyone else, wait for 10.6.2 for the early adopter bugs to be ironed out. Which will arrive just around time for the next Mac upgrades (Mac Mini or MacBook Pro, haven't decided which one to get yet).
  • Reply 44 of 215
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

Hot diggity... I was going to wait it out until 10.6.1, but strange urge to upgrade on Day 1.... Hmmm....

Yeah, I usually wait until the .1 release; but I may not be able to hold off this time.
  • Reply 45 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Oh yes, the newer iLife certainly won't be included in SL upgrade disks.

Another good reason to wait for Snow Leopard INSTALL disks if buying a new Mac.

Of course if money is no object, then by all means get it.

Is there any chance of the actual install disks being included before September 8? I was hoping to get the best of both worlds by getting Snow Leopard with the iPod back to school promotion. Say I order a system from the Apple online store sometime next week. Will it come with 10.6 installed or 10.5 installed with a 10.6 upgrade disk?
  • Reply 46 of 215
    I'm the boss of the company. I'm calling in sick only when there's a major event. Friday 28 2009 will be calendered as a priority absence.
  • Reply 47 of 215
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Anyone know how quickly I might expect my Mac Up-to-Date discs to arrive? I placed my order shortly after getting my new mini last month. From past experience, anyone know if Apple ships those right away, or waits until the release day rush has subsided? Thanks.
  • Reply 48 of 215
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Hi folks Is anyone here been testing SL, and if so, do you use Freehand, and if so, does it still work?

We use Freehand here - like most people breath ? so we'd really like to keep using it, if it works. If not

I guess we MAY have to switch to Illustrator, or keep a few computers here, with and older OS.

Skip
  • Reply 49 of 215
    Will I get disks in the box or a separate package? Or do I have to wait to get them from Apple? How does this usually work? Thanks.
  • Reply 50 of 215
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Great news! Now I only hope this will install to a blank hard drive. I'm treating my MacBook on a bigger harddrive to accompany the Snow Leopard update... Having to Install Leopard just to be able to install SL would be quite cumbersome.

Now for the great dillemma... 320GB 7200RPM vs 500GB 5400RPM...

500GB. It has a higher platter density, which means that even though it's "only" 5400RPM, it isn't necessarily slower. (We're talking about the Samsung drives here? I got the 320GB for my brother, and I just got the 500GB...)
  • Reply 51 of 215
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Hi folks Is anyone here been testing SL, and if so, do you use Freehand, and if so, does it still work?

We use Freehand here - like most people breath ? so we'd really like to keep using it, if it works. If not

I guess we MAY have to switch to Illustrator, or keep a few computers here, with and older OS.

Skip

I didn't think it worked on Leopard to start with. Certainly not support (for at least 4 years?)

Macintosh System Requirements

PowerPC® G3 processor

Mac OS 9.1 through OS X 10.3

64MB of RAM (128MB recommended)

70MB of available hard-disk space

\\\\http://www.adobe.com/products/freeha...fo/systemreqs/
  • Reply 52 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

This is very good advice....hard to follow though with all the excitement to do a quick upgrade! I think I will at least wait a week to see the forums as far as problems.

I wasn't going to upgrade because I plan to replace my computer early next year but as soon as the word came down that Apple was releasing the new OS on Friday, I got this overwhelming urge to upgrade my current Mac, even if it will only be for a few months.

The price is right and if I can spend around that much money for a movie that I might watch once or twice, I guess a few months with a new OS is worth that outlay.
  • Reply 53 of 215
    Will it run PPC apps?

Many of us still use Intuit's Quicken (no Universal version available yet) and Photoshop CS2 (have you checked the price of CS4?)
  • Reply 54 of 215
    I have three Macs in the house. all with their own copies of OSX. Can I upgrade to the family pack for $49 or do I need to have a previous family pack to upgrade at that price? Also, will the family pack stop my laptop from saying "iChat already has you logged in under the same username?

Thanks!
  • Reply 55 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Good news. It will make for fairer Windows 7 vs. Mac OS X reviews than last time when Vista was compared to Tiger instead of Leopard.

I'm sure a few Windows fansites will still compare W7 to Leopard instead of Snow Leopard though, just to try and skew things in their favour (i.e., W7 doesn't appear to be a fustercluck like Vista).

As for everyone else, wait for 10.6.2 for the early adopter bugs to be ironed out. Which will arrive just around time for the next Mac upgrades (Mac Mini or MacBook Pro, haven't decided which one to get yet).

I'm in the same boat but my concern is all the talk of the Mini being discontinued. Hopefully there is at least one more hardware update planned for the Mini because if there is, that's the machine I'm going to buy. If not, then the MacBook Pro it is.
  • Reply 56 of 215
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Excellent. Now to try to find time to do the upgrade this weekend. Two kids at home under 20 months, one is sick and my 5 year anniversary is Friday. Don't think it will go over very well to ask the wife to watch the kids and delay going out for dinner so I can do the install.

And IT just gave me a new Mac Mini at work on Friday. Guess I can see about getting them to upgrade it on Friday, but will probably end up doing it myself next week. The G5 someone dropped in my office last week can't be upgraded.
  • Reply 57 of 215
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

I have three Macs in the house. all with their own copies of OSX. Can I upgrade to the family pack for $49 or do I need to have a previous family pack to upgrade at that price? Also, will the family pack stop my laptop from saying "iChat already has you logged in under the same username?

Thanks!

I think you are fine with the licensing. I don't think it stipulates that the machines had to be using a family pack previously. The only qualification I see on their site is:

Quote:

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household

But the iChat message will still be there. I think that is the AIM protocol that only allows you to be logged in at a single location at a time. maybe there is a setting in iChat to disable the disconnect message, but you will still be disconnected.
  • Reply 58 of 215
    I wonder if the iTouchpad will be 64 bit as well.
  • Reply 59 of 215
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well, no point to doing any Leopard software updates now if I'll be installing SL on Friday.

Just confirmed availability at the Apple Store at Sherway Gardens for the 28th, for all of you Canucks in the Mississauga/Toronto area.

They couldn't confirm whether there'll be any t-shirts or other goodies.
  • Reply 60 of 215
    Does anyone know if Snow Leopard is compatible with BBEdit 9? What about Navicat?

Thanks!!