thanks a lot for your help

cheers,

Charles

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Anyone care to help please?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Is it Final Cut Studio 2? Did you use Software Update and update all the patches?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it Final Cut Studio 2? Did you use Software Update and update all the patches?

No, It's Final Cut HD (an older version)

I'm just helping a friend out and I'm giving away this version of Final Cut so he can start in video editing.

Is there any way to get this working?

What I'm doing wrong?

thanks for your help

Charles
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

I'm just helping a friend out and I'm giving away this version of Final Cut so he can start in video editing.

What I'm doing wrong?

thanks for your help

Charles

Hi Charles

afraid FCP HD is not supported under 10.5 you either need to install 10.4 or use final cut studio (FCP5) or better.

Graeme
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

What I'm doing wrong?

thanks for your help

Charles

You are doing nothing wrong except trying to run the App on a non-supported graphics card. There is a workaround which I used for about 9 months to run FCP 4.5 HD on a Unibody MBP while I waited for FCS 3 to be announced. It worked flawlessly for me but of course it isn't kosher so mission-critical projects probably shouldn't be developed on this set-up.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I think there is a way to fix it, but I am not finding it. I could figure out what to do if it were in front of me, you have to remove a couple lines from a certain file. I don't want to tell you what to do and risk you messing up your system.

If you get a free GotoMyPC account, maybe I can give it a shot.

Edit: use Houseley's link, that's exactly what I was looking for.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think there is a way to fix it, but I am not finding it. I could figure out what to do if it were in front of me, you have to remove a couple lines from a certain file. I don't want to tell you what to do and risk you messing up your system.

If you get a free GotoMyPC account, maybe I can give it a shot.

Beat ya to it...
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

Beat ya to it...

That you did, thanks for finding it, I expect would do the trick. For myself, I did the same trick with Final Cut Express.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

You are doing nothing wrong except trying to run the App on a non-supported graphics card. There is a workaround which I used for about 9 months to run FCP 4.5 HD on a Unibody MBP while I waited for FCS 3 to be announced. It worked flawlessly for me but of course it isn't kosher so mission-critical projects probably shouldn't be developed on this set-up.

Hi

I have a G5 Quad 2.5ghz.

It seems that the workaround is for an Intel Mac

Is the workaround still the same for the G5 or there's a different way?

thanks a lot guys for your help

Charles
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Hi

I have a G5 Quad 2.5ghz.

Charles

The problem is the graphics card not the CPU. Can't promise anything but it's a simple and safe hack so why not try it and report back?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

The problem is the graphics card not the CPU. Can't promise anything but it's a simple and safe hack so why not try it and report back?

Got it.

I will try and report back

thanks,

Charles
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Hi

I have a G5 Quad 2.5ghz.

Charles

I stand slightly corrected- the fix houseley and JeffDM suggest looks like a good one.

If you read further down on their link to the responses- there is a cpu 'hack' FCP HD will not be expecting a G5 quad.

C-tina

Jul 3rd, 2007 at 11:16 pm

This was great, and fixed the AGP problem, but FCP still won’t launch. I just got a quad core 2.66 GHz, and this is the error message I’m getting “Configuaration error: Power Macintosh G4/350 megahertz (MHz), or faster required” What the??? My new computer is certainly faster, so I don’t get it. Help!

P.S. To the poster above: use “get info” and change the default application to Text Edit and just save the file w/o renaming it. That will solve the problem.

C-tina

Jul 4th, 2007 at 9:32 am

So, just in case someone comes across this page with the same problem I did: (above)

After changing AGP to PCI, (thanks for that little nugget of info!)I deleted the lines referring to CPU and minimum system requirements. Not sure why this was necessary for me to do, since noone else has had the same problem, but it worked like a charm! (But save an original of the info.plist, just in case.)

I still think it's unwise to run any FCP outside it's OS and quicktime comfort zone- but i guess it depends if you feel it's necessary and prepared for problems that may or may not arise.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Hi

I got the time to do it and worked like a charm

thanks so much for helping

cheers,

Charles
  • Reply 14 of 17
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Hi

I got the time to do it and worked like a charm

thanks so much for helping

cheers,

Charles

well done- your welcome
  • Reply 15 of 17
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    i ran basically the same fix in order to install FCP 4.5 on my Pismo with a G4 550. it was very handy at the time...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

i ran basically the same fix in order to install FCP 4.5 on my Pismo with a G4 550. it was very handy at the time...

I think these workarounds can be lifesavers at times- but they are risky.

if your running a business and you rely on your equipment working and keeping your reputation intact- it's a bit irresponsible to run 'hacked' stuff. esp. if your installing for someone else who might not understand the risks- but would reap the consequences if things go wrong.

With FCS you might get to the end of a project with nothing going wrong but then on final export the problems creep in.

We all need to bodge stuff from time to time- but i find it hard to recommend these workarounds on a forum.

Always best practice with Final cut Pro and studio to keep within the FCS versions preferred Hardware, OS and Quicktime version - even if you feel your 'behind the times'

Loosing time sorting out erratic behavior can loose any profit made on a production and at worse you might loose customers.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

I think these workarounds can be lifesavers at times- but they are risky.

if your running a business and you rely on your equipment working and keeping your reputation intact- it's a bit irresponsible to run 'hacked' stuff. esp. if your installing for someone else who might not understand the risks- but would reap the consequences if things go wrong.

With FCS you might get to the end of a project with nothing going wrong but then on final export the problems creep in.

We all need to bodge stuff from time to time- but i find it hard to recommend these workarounds on a forum.

Always best practice with Final cut Pro and studio to keep within the FCS versions preferred Hardware, OS and Quicktime version - even if you feel your 'behind the times'

Loosing time sorting out erratic behavior can loose any profit made on a production and at worse you might loose customers.

i agree completely. i think the only "hack" we've ever run in a work environment, for example, is the dual/extended monitor hack for g5 imacs we had a few years ago. When you make a living from something, you can't afford to rely on things that may be unreliable or have unintended consequences down the track.