Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 101 of 215
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Now for the great dillemma... 320GB 7200RPM vs 500GB 5400RPM...

How about a 500GB 7200RPM drive? I have the Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS in my MBP and it works great - well worth the $120!
  • Reply 102 of 215
    I never got around to updating my newer iMac (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) to 10.5.... does anyone know if I will be able to use the normal upgrade DVD to go from 10.4 to 10.6? Or will I have to work for a "full version" to come out.

Thanks for your help.

Z
  • Reply 103 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I never got around to updating my newer iMac (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) to 10.5.... does anyone know if I will be able to use the normal upgrade DVD to go from 10.4 to 10.6? Or will I have to work for a "full version" to come out.

Thanks for your help.

Z

See post #90 in this thread.
  • Reply 104 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Thanks for your help.

Z

Apple says that you need to buy the Box Set. And we have no reason to believe that you can (or can't) use the $29 version. So if I were you, I'd wait either wait until Friday to hear what others say, or just bite the bullet and buy the Box Set
  • Reply 105 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

See post #90 in this thread.

Thanks OldCodger..... I missed that post...
  • Reply 106 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

Apple says that you need to buy the Box Set. And we have no reason to believe that you can (or can't) use the $29 version. So if I were you, I'd wait either wait until Friday to hear what others say, or just bite the bullet and buy the Box Set

Hey... an even better idea....LOL. Will tough it out for a few more weeks with 10.4 on my home machine.... Not like I'm having to use Vista THANK GOD....LOL. I'd like to get the box set but if I can get away with just spending $30 instead of $170....I'll go for the $30... call me cheap..

Thanks

Z
  • Reply 107 of 215
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihadmeavision View Post

So I have to buy the crappy IMHO iLife package to get the full version of SL? It sounds like what they did with Final Cut Pro, including a bunch of apps that no one wants and charge you for them adding "Studio" to the name. They should be ashamed.

Those of us who have Leopard basically paid $130 for it. Now we are getting the upgrade to Snow Leopard for an additional $30. Together, that is $160 and no iWorks.

So you have to pay $10 more to get 3 great apps that will really help show off what Snow Leopard can do.

Heck. You are right. You should be able to pay $160 for a full install of Snow Leopard only, like most of us have had to do in two steps.

You have my vote. Except I would charge you extra for the one-step service
  • Reply 108 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Ships: Delivers on August 28th

Does anyone know if Amazon will also ship on Thursday?
  • Reply 109 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockyridge View Post

Does anyone know if Amazon will also ship on Thursday?

Based on past releases, IIRC, no. But I could very well be wrong.
  • Reply 110 of 215
    albimalbim Posts: 68member
    I realize its an outdated architecture, but can anyone explain to me why Apple dropped PPC support? Is it hurting them in anyway to keep PPC or is it more of Apple telling me to update?
  • Reply 111 of 215
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I wonder how long it will take them to send me my up-to-date copy of Snow Leopard. I checked my order status a minute ago and it still says ships September.
  • Reply 112 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I wonder how long it will take them to send me my up-to-date copy of Snow Leopard. I checked my order status a minute ago and it still says ships September.

For what its worth, I talked to an Apple rep and he assured me that my Up to Date copy would arrive on Friday.

I sure hope he's right...
  • Reply 113 of 215
    Is MAC OS finally going to support streaming audio through front row?!
  • Reply 114 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Those of us who have Leopard basically paid $130 for it. Now we are getting the upgrade to Snow Leopard for an additional $30. Together, that is $160 and no iWorks.

So you have to pay $10 more to get 3 great apps that will really help show off what Snow Leopard can do.

Heck. You are right. You should be able to pay $160 for a full install of Snow Leopard only, like most of us have had to do in two steps.

You have my vote. Except I would charge you extra for the one-step service

So If I'm on 10.2 and want to upgrade (not that I am), by your logic I should pay $390 or so dollars because I skipped a few OSes? How does that make sense? I hope they'll release it like they said at $129 period. And no those are not great apps and $10 is way to much for that junk.
  • Reply 115 of 215
    Isn't the point of the 30 dollar upgrade is that it is, in fact, an upgrade? It may not be a "full version." There has to be a way to differentiate the version that comes with the box set and the version that comes stand-alone, I would think.

I don't think this version is being looked at the same as other upgrades because it is like a major "service pack" for Leopard, and thus needs Leopard for installation... and why the 30 dollar price tag.
  • Reply 116 of 215
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apsynknod View Post

I'm the boss of the company. I'm calling in sick only when there's a major event. Friday 28 2009 will be calendered as a priority absence.

heh, if you are really the boss, you don't have to reason your absence!
  • Reply 117 of 215
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    $35 CAD.. Man, who's the middleman that gets a great cut on this pseudo exchange rate?
  • Reply 118 of 215
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Isn't the point of the 30 dollar upgrade is that it is, in fact, an upgrade? It may not be a "full version." There has to be a way to differentiate the version that comes with the box set and the version that comes stand-alone, I would think.

I don't think this version is being looked at the same as other upgrades because it is like a major "service pack" for Leopard, and thus needs Leopard for installation... and why the 30 dollar price tag.

(opinion only)

I think it has to be the full version- you need to be able to boot for m the disk and install on brand new system hard disks.

I can't believe if you put a new HD in your mac that you would have to install a previous OS before you installed OS 10.6.

Since all intel macs have either shipped with 10.4 or 10.5- the 10.6 instal disk just needs to know your mac model (and so what OS it shipped with) and/or if you have updated from 10.4 to 10.5 previously- the motherboard should know this through what firmware it's running?! etc.

Also 'startup disk' preferences know your current OS.

Ok im guessing here- but I can't believe apple would require an antiquated step of legacy installs when installing new system HD's
  • Reply 119 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihadmeavision View Post

So If I'm on 10.2 and want to upgrade (not that I am), by your logic I should pay $390 or so dollars because I skipped a few OSes? How does that make sense? I hope they'll release it like they said at $129 period. And no those are not great apps and $10 is way to much for that junk.

No. They were separate, individual OSs. Not updates. Didn't require the previous iteration.

And as for you last comment, you really don't belong here.
  • Reply 120 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

$35 CAD.. Man, who's the middleman that gets a great cut on this pseudo exchange rate?

Well, you have only ever had to pay $129 CAD for Leopard and in some cases it was more than 25% advantage on the exchange.

Call it catch up.